What's new

Solved UPDATE: No longer required. See thread. - [Feature request] Option for DHCP Query Frequency Backoff Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for the notes about the modem issues theory. One thing that would help me understand better is if you could describe the expected signaling from the modem to the router when there's a brief outage and then the modem reconnects. How does it notify the router than it's ready for the router to reconnect the WAN? What I frequently see is a short-term outage and the router just never tries to reconnect the WAN, but manually reconnecting works. Is the modem not sending some sort of "ok, ready to reconnect" signal to the router when the WAN comes back up? Is there a specification that describes expected actions in this scenario I can review? I'm working with both ASUS support and Teksavvy support on this and each one points the finger at the other and the best theory so far that both have accepted was the backoff timing described above.

It's my suspicion that many (though not likely all) of the reported "ISP DHCP Not Functioning Properly" problems frequently reported in other threads could be resolved with the addition of this feature.

Try installing Dual Wan Failover script, and enabling dual wan even if you do not use a secondary wan. The script will reset each wan sequentially. It has worked for me.

Try installing Dual Wan Failover script, and enabling dual wan even if you do not use a secondary wan. The script will reset each wan sequentially. It has worked for me.
This is very interesting. Could you point me to instructions, please?

Your link above shows this:

1707610788431.png

There is definitely Asus firmware issue involved as well because some of the folks with "ISP DHCP Not Functioning Properly" issue found replacing the router with something else solves the issue permanently. There are more issues in Asuswrt and folks around just live with it. Don't forget - you have entered the Asus fan club. Good luck.

It's my suspicion that many (though not likely all) of the reported "ISP DHCP Not Functioning Properly" problems frequently reported in other threads could be resolved with the addition of this feature.

Ok, so spent some time on the Google - and it's starting to smell like maybe something in the Asus implementation, as this is the common element across multiple ISP's and their support communities...

besides, this might be verdigris leftover from Tomato, which AsusWRT is built up from...

Could be a possible bug, rather than a feature request at the moment, on how AsusWRT is configuring udhcpd at runtime...

There are more issues in Asuswrt and folks around just live with it. Don't forget - you have entered the Asus fan club. Good luck.

There's enough complaints regarding Asus specifically that would warrant investigation...

What I frequently see is a short-term outage and the router just never tries to reconnect the WAN, but manually reconnecting works. Is the modem not sending some sort of "ok, ready to reconnect" signal to the router when the WAN comes back up? Is there a specification that describes expected actions in this scenario I can review?
Reminds me of this thread:

This is very interesting. Could you point me to instructions, please?
Just install and let it do its thing.

Ok, so spent some time on the Google - and it's starting to smell like maybe something in the Asus implementation, as this is the common element across multiple ISP's and their support communities...

besides, this might be verdigris leftover from Tomato, which AsusWRT is built up from...

Could be a possible bug, rather than a feature request at the moment, on how AsusWRT is configuring udhcpd at runtime...
Thank you for doing this digging. My googling suggested the same to me, but I don't have your experienced eye to narrow down the likely culprit components.

Reminds me of this thread:
I do so a lot of similarity to that thread in my experience, yes. Though it seems to talk about WAN cable /disconnect/. Would the same thing apply if the cables don't move but the uplink drops for a few seconds and then restores on the modem?

Spent the whole day today dealing with "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" on the RT-BE-96U with all kinds of frackupery. Factory reset everything, started from scratch, and I'm now basically at the point that I believe ASUS's DHCP WAN implementation is fundamentally broken. I've been banging my head against this for 5+ years. I give up. I've ordered a shirtty TP-Link AXE tri-band. I can't believe I dropped over $1000 on the RT-BE96U in the hopes that the WAN shirt was sorted.

You community folks are amazing. I just can't deal with constant outages.

If your TP-Link tri-band is Archer AXE75 AXE5400 model - it's a good one.

Come back and share the experience with WAN behavior after router replacement.

If your TP-Link tri-band is Archer AXE75 AXE5400 model - it's a good one.

Come back and share the experience with WAN behavior after router replacement.
That is the one I ordered. Will update if it solves my issue. Also requested swap of my modem from TC4400 to CGA4234DGW, so that unlocks additional troubleshooting, such as double NAT (as it has built in router, whereas TC4400 didn't).