What's new

Upgrade a RT-n66u ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAJ

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-n66u at an office on a windows server HV domain. Its been up and running 8 years 24/7 zero issues. Down time to be is #1. If the router were to go down its cripples the office for what ever amout of time it takes to get a new one up.

It handles 500/100 MB fiber and the 20 computers just fine. And it sits in a enclosed cubbord (passive vents at top) so not a ton of air circulation.

Really the only compelling reason to stray from (If its not broken don't fix it) is its no longer supported by Merlin.

No longer supported:
RT-N66U 380.70
RT-AC66U 380.70
RT-AC56U 384.6
RT-AC87U 384.13_10
RT-AC3200 384.13_10

But most of the updates since those firmwares are bug fixes and not (You will be hacked if you dont update firmware) Could be wrong here.

If I were to update need one just as bullet proof but supported.

Asus RT-AC86U AC2900​

This one looks to fill the bill. Although I am not sure if it runs hotter (produces more heat) than the RT 66u 600Hz solo cpu. It might but it also could have more isues if it runs hotter.

Wifi is only used for employee phones so any performance improvements is not a factor to be considered.

Any good reasons for or against updating it are appreciated.

I have a RT-n66u at an office on a windows server HV domain. Its been up and running 8 years 24/7 zero issues. Down time to be is #1. If the router were to go down its cripples the office for what ever amout of time it takes to get a new one up.

It handles 500/100 MB fiber and the 20 computers just fine. And it sits in a enclosed cubbord (passive vents at top) so not a ton of air circulation.

Really the only compelling reason to stray from (If its not broken don't fix it) is its no longer supported by Merlin.

No longer supported:
RT-N66U 380.70
RT-AC66U 380.70
RT-AC56U 384.6
RT-AC87U 384.13_10
RT-AC3200 384.13_10

But most of the updates since those firmwares are bug fixes and not (You will be hacked if you dont update firmware) Could be wrong here.

If I were to update need one just as bullet proof but supported.

Asus RT-AC86U AC2900​

This one looks to fill the bill. Although I am not sure if it runs hotter (produces more heat) than the RT 66u 600Hz solo cpu. It might but it also could have more isues if it runs hotter.

Wifi is only used for employee phones so any performance improvements is not a factor to be considered.

Any good reasons for or against updating it are appreciated.

The AC86U will easily replace what you have been using. The WiFi coverage will be much better.

If you want bulletproof, you should stock a spare router.

I would not keep a newer consumer router in an enclosed space. They tend to run hotter and don't get the cooling/design they might deserve. Calling cabinet vents on top "passive" is an understatement.

I would expect to replace the AC86U if it dies and/or when WiFi 6e AX product has settled in a couple years.

OE

The AC86U will easily replace what you have been using. The WiFi coverage will be much better.

If you want bulletproof, you should stock a spare router.

I would not keep a newer consumer router in an enclosed space. They tend to run hotter and don't get the cooling/design they might deserve. Calling cabinet vents on top "passive" is an understatement.

I would expect to replace the AC86U if it dies and/or when WiFi 6e AX product has settled in a couple years.

OE
Yes I do have a spare N66u on site preconfigured. Bullet proof meant it has not gone down 1 time in 8 years. That can only be equaled not exceeded by a new one.

But they are no longer supported via firmware. And it will but put into the same 3foot tall x 2 feet x 16" deep cupboard. It does have a 8" hole at the top for heat disappation. The swith is also in that area and nothing has over heated.
Wifi - could really care less if its improved we are not running a cyber cafe. We all all hard wired wifi is just a frill for phones, they do not use persoan phones during business hours.

I had hoped the newer chip sets would run cooler not hotter than the old ones. The n66u wifi are 59c and cpu no idea there is not a probe for that model. And that is in a cupboard with no active cooling.

Home I have 68p that runs at 53c 53c and 75c cpu.

The major improvement of the 86u is its hardware assist encryption for VPN. I run a open VP server there which is much faster than the 66n but the 66n at 15Mbit is fine for remote desktop just limited to around 1.8Mb/sec file transfer.

Major reason for a change is just so its supported.

But they are no longer supported via firmware.

Your N66U is supported by @john9527 and his Asuswrt-Merlin fork here:

Take a look at AC66U B1 model. It's a newer version of your AC68P(U) router. It's going to be enough for your needs, under $100 price new, same flat design as your N66U and supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. It runs the same software as your AC68P. Don't buy AC86U if you need reliability:

I started thinking, do these routers run the cpus wide open 24/7? 1800Mhz?
Your N66U is supported by @john9527 and his Asuswrt-Merlin fork here:

Take a look at AC66U B1 model. It's a newer version of your AC68P(U) router. It's going to be enough for your needs, under $100 price new, same flat design as your N66U and supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. It runs the same software as your AC68P. Don't buy AC86U if you need reliability:
Thanks for the replay. Oh Darn I just ordered a 86u. the AC not the AX model.
Whats up with the 86u for reliability? Now Im worried.

Did not know about support. that 66u b1 (dual 1ghz)? Yea I wondered about that one. But figured it was not supported either so did not really look at it closely.

Oh Darn I just ordered a 86u.

Hopefully Asus improved something in later models. Watch the CPU temperature and add cooling if needed. The CPU does not run on maximum speed all the time, but the cooling provided by Asus is the minimum required only. Keep your warranty and your N66U as a backup. Ask @OzarkEdge above for more details.

This forum has a good search engine. ;)

Hopefully Asus improved something in later models. Watch the CPU temperature and add cooling if needed. The CPU does not run on maximum speed all the time, but the cooling provided by Asus is the minimum required only. Keep your warranty and your N66U as a backup. Ask @OzarkEdge above for more details.

This forum has a good search engine. ;)

Yes but I like up to date replies not old stale ones :) Appreciate the input.

I think I read the new 86u are made in taiwan not china not sure if that makes any difference in quality control though.

I'll run it at home a few months to test and see how it does before putting in a office.

Hmm just read this about the 86u having to do with a firmware causing cpu overheating.

"Style: AC2900 | Dual-BandVerified Purchase
We've been using this router for about 2 years with minimal issues. Recently I decided to upgrade the firmware to the 386.x version. Asus made changes to the cpu wait and eee settings that made the router cpu run excessively hot. I saw temps of 130 C, which causes the CPU to turn off cores and eventually the router to fail"

I just looked at the Merlin change log and I did not see anything about a firmware causing hot cpus or it being a issue to be fixed. Anyone have issues like this?

Yes but I like up to date replies not old stale ones

I'm not going to buy a new AC86U router, open it and inspect the eventual changes for you, sorry. :rolleyes:

Anyone have issues like this?

Just read this thread and decide what you are going to do to prevent eventual overheating:

I'm not going to buy a new AC86U router, open it and inspect the eventual changes for you, sorry. :rolleyes:

Just read this thread and decide what you are going to do to prevent eventual overheating:

Sure you will get on it!

Really a bit disappointed the more I read on the AC86u.
I don't like having to add active cooling to make up for poor engineering.

I suppose run The last good release for the Asus RT AC 86U is Merlin's 384.19 firmware. Sounds like past the 384.19 is when the heat turned up on the cpus.

Could maybe downclock the cpus to 1400MHZ or something. Or just return it and get a 68u, which is very nice just does not have the hardware assist for VPN which is one of the reasons I liked the 86u feature wise.

I remember back when I bought my 66u it had bad reviews too but it seemed to have been worked out over time with patches. Same with the 68u no shortage of bad reviews from a percentage of owners. The 86u reviews were mostly positive with that expected lot of bad ones. But maybe this is not fixable via patches.

Just use the router and see how it performs. I can't give any recommendations about firmware version; you have to find the best one yourself. I'm a little surprised your office network is run by a home router. The right router for you is not called 86u, but rather x86 powered appliance running firewall OS.

Actually I am surprised too. But a hardware engineer owns his own IT company and does this for a living in schools and Hospitals said the 66 was a winner and easier to set up than a commercial one. I tested it out and use it for DHCP, routing and backup VPN. I use the VPN on the router when working on the Dell rack server (they have a VPN running as VM which is much faster. But when I reboot the dell I loose my VPN too. So its for maintanence. Slow but for what i do its good enough.

There is a point where I could not use it but the office is not a HUGE network under 50 computers and they are not all hammering hard at the same time. So its a low bandwidth environment for the most part, no streaming videos etc. In this particular situation the n66u fit the bill in spades. Down time is a NO NO and this thing well has had ZERO in 8+ years. Its a tough act to follow and is still in use until I find a viable replacement.

Yea No commercial unit could best the little n66u uptime its been stellar and easier to configure. He was correct and I would buy the same one again if I had to go back in time zero complaints. Even has wake on LAN list in times when one of the office cpus sleeps too long and goes off my remote list. Lots of little features that I have grown to like over the years. Its a little trooper and I suppose I expect more of the same.

Consumer should not = its unstable deal with it. the 66u has proven that.

I went from the N66U to the AC68U and then to the AC86U. I've been using the AC86U for 3-4 years now. I still have the other two, so added the 68U as a mesh node last year.

I went from the N66U to the AC68U and then to the AC86U. I've been using the AC86U for 3-4 years now. I still have the other two, so added the 68U as a mesh node last year.

I did the same except for two AC86Us in an AiMesh. Plus I replaced both AC86Us when they burnt out and stopped working.

OE

This thing is the usual suspect, synchronous step-down converter:

Untitled.jpg

I just have a theory, the one that fails more often is the closest to the CPU at the back side of the PCB. The PCB eventually gets too hot in this area due to CPU inefficient cooling solution. It's a well known issue and I didn't invent the solution. This failure results in LAN 4 port LED light and a non-responsive router. Chinese guys in their forums share information where to get the IC from. I just used donor boards to swap it. The other VRM I've seen failed is the one right next to the power jack. I believe it was IT76630 DC/DC converter. Failure of this one results in half lit power LED and obviously dead router. The router also suffers from 2.4GHz RF issues. I don't know the exact reason why, but I reflowed the RF ICs on one PCB and it came back to life. Failed RF circuit keeps the router going, but with Channel 0 in UI and inability to change the settings for corresponding band. The possible cause of failure is thermal stress and microcracks in solder balls under the ICs. This is also a well known RoHS standards created issue in thermally stressed PCBs. I don't know how useful this information is for you, but keep in mind I only see defective units. This doesn't mean every AC86U will fail in a short period of time. There are folks here with 2017 production year AC86U routers and still going strong.

I just have a theory, the one that fails more often is the closest to the CPU at the back side of the PCB. The PCB eventually gets too hot in this area due to CPU inefficient cooling solution. It's a well known issue and I didn't invent the solution. This failure results in LAN 4 port LED light and a non-responsive router. Chinese guys in their forums share information where to get the IC from. I just used donor boards to swap it. The other VRM I've seen failed is the one right next to the power jack. I believe it was IT76630 DC/DC converter. Failure of this one results in half lit power LED and obviously dead router. The router also suffers from 2.4GHz RF issues. I don't know the exact reason why, but I reflowed the RF ICs on one PCB and it came back to life. Failed RF circuit keeps the router going, but with Channel 0 in UI and inability to change the settings for corresponding band. The possible cause of failure is thermal stress and microcracks in solder balls under the ICs. This is also a well known RoHS standards created issue in thermally stressed PCBs. I don't know how useful this information is for you, but keep in mind I only see defective units. This doesn't mean every AC86U will fail in a short period of time. There are folks here with 2017 production year AC86U routers and still going strong.
I think its very cool that you know all of this. Even if it does not help me I appreciate the information. That micro crack theory sounds plausible. I don't have any experience with it on a Router but I did on a Plasma TV board. Had a $3500 60" Plasma that died out of warranty. And I could not get anyone to fix it and I'm not great with solder or tracking down broken traces. But i tore it down anyway as I suspected faulty power supply.

I looked and failed, never found the issue. I found a guy that was good with TVs but he was out of state, Had to make educated guess and send him the components (not entire TV). I don't know how he found the broken traces or soldered them I had to ask him to take photo because I could not even see what he soldered. I could barely see it even circled it on a photo. I was like How the heck did you even see that and then solder it so well? Very impressed and thankful, not wanting to trash a TV that was 99 percent perfect but a few tiny broken traces.

He said It was due to heat built up and the type of solder used that tends to crack on expansion with repeating cooling/heating cycles. Its held for like 5 years and counting.
I have always been impressed by guys good with soldering. I can do it, but not like you or the guy I hired.

The guy that looked at my TV seemed to say they are using solder that is built to sort of fail. Maybe its the same on Asus. I thought great he fixed a few cracks but not the entire board. I think he fixed areas that he knew were likely to fail and the other areas even though they used the same solder were not as likely to crack.

I liked that you see only defective units. I don't know what you do but sound like you have some good experience with these. I don't remember all the the fellow I hired told me but It seemed to me he said manufacturers had changed the type of solder used for a reason. I don't know if it was cost or why but it seemed that he said older units had used better solder. Like if I sent him two routers and OLD one and New he would look at it and pick it apart saying this one has much better solder joints etc. Maybe you could clear that up for me, I dont look at enough to know. But what you said reminded me of that guy. I don't think I am good enough to do what you do to fix it.

I think I asked him if I should put a fan behind the TV assuming its going to fail again but he seemed confident that it was not needed. Like active cooling would not have stopped it from failing. He had done quite a few before mine. I guess the issues was the few known weak areas like using the better solder was needed only there and not everywhere.

have you seen other models besides the 86U? I mean the boards. Did something change on the 86u were heat is more likely to cause issues vs earlier models? Just trying to understand if the layout has been changed where it created a new potential area of failure that other models did not have.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!