What's new

Upgrade from RT-N66U - Need traffic monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just some nvram tweaks?
If you go down this route you won't get any help on these forums and your posts will be deleted. That's partly what I meant by "if you want a simple life just buy a device made for your region".

Is the little money you save really worth the hassle, lack of support and uncertainty?

If you go down this route you won't get any help on these forums and your posts will be deleted. That's partly what I meant by "if you want a simple life just buy a device made for your region".
Why are these forums averse to buying routers from overseas and then making them compliant to local standards? I'm not looking to boost power, or do anything else that's illegal.

The way I see it, I'm rolling the dice. If I win, I save 30% of the cost. If I lose, warranty support is unlikely; but as soon as I load up Merlin (or any other 3rd-party firmware) I void the warranty anyway.

no, Merlin wont void warranty from Asus, they usually accept it (seller may act different)!

Why are these forums averse to buying routers from overseas and then making them compliant to local standards? I'm not looking to boost power, or do anything else that's illegal.
I'm not going to repeat all the arguments for or against because this has already been discussed to death in hundreds of previous posts. At the end of the day it is the policy of the site owner, take it or leave it.

I'm not going to repeat all the arguments for or against because this has already been discussed to death in hundreds of previous posts. At the end of the day it is the policy of the site owner, take it or leave it.
Is there a thread that gives an overview?

Maybe there's a compelling argument not to buy a router from overseas... But "policy of the site owner" is not convincing.

I mean, if there's good reason for being that hostile to the idea, I'm willing to listen to those reasons and reconsider my purchasing decisions. eg, I'm willing to consider the possibility that I'm wrong.

But if there there's only hostility and dogma, then I'm inclined to think that reason is lacking... And if that's the case, I'm inclined to think I'm not the one who's wrong.

you live in a world with global markets and players with their power, think about! There is nothing independent.

you live in a world with global markets and players with their power, think about! There is nothing independent.
That's kind of what I was suspecting the answer was pointing towards :(

And on that basis, well... Like I said in my previous comment ;)

First.
https://www.snbforums.com/help/terms

More to the point, SNBForums does not allow discussion of any techniques that enable users to modify routers in violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, government or regional laws or regulations or author copyright.

There are plenty of other places on the Net that provide this information. We don't and don't have to justify our policies to anyone.

First.
https://www.snbforums.com/help/terms

More to the point, SNBForums does not allow discussion of any techniques that enable users to modify routers in violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, government or regional laws or regulations or author copyright.

There are plenty of other places on the Net that provide this information. We don't and don't have to justify our policies to anyone.
Honest question: How is it a "violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, government or regional laws or regulations or author copyright" to buy a router from overseas, and change its settings to make it compliant with local standards? nb where I live, parallel imports are 100% legal.

And I'm not asking anyone to "justify" the policies, I'm trying to understand how and why those policies are what they are. Again, I'd like to think that those policies are what they are for good reasons and in good faith, and I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong in my understanding something simple... But iron-fisted reactions like "We don't have to justify our policies to anyone" is failing to convince me that the policies (or how they're being interpreted in this instance) are based on good reasons or good faith.

To put it another way, if someone can explain to me how buying a router from overseas and saving about 30% off the local price, then setting it up so it's compliant with local standards is illegal, immoral, or somehow in violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, then I'll have to seriously consider spending full retail price and buying locally; I'm willing to join your ideological team, if you can explain to me why I should. The more such explanation is lacking, the more I doubt the validity of that position.

Last edited:
Honest question: How is it a "violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, government or regional laws or regulations or author copyright" to buy a router from overseas, and change its settings to make it compliant with local standards? nb where I live, parallel imports are 100% legal.

And I'm not asking anyone to "justify" the policies, I'm trying to understand how and why those policies are what they are. Again, I'd like to think that those policies are what they are for good reasons and in good faith, and I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong in my understanding something simple... But iron-fisted reactions like "We don't have to justify our policies to anyone" is failing to convince me that the policies (or how they're being interpreted in this instance) are based on good reasons or good faith.

To put it another way, if someone can explain to me how buying a router from overseas and saving about 30% off the local price, then setting it up so it's compliant with local standards is illegal, immoral, or somehow in violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, then I'll have to seriously consider spending full retail price and buying locally; I'm willing to join your ideological team, if you can explain to me why I should. The more such explanation is lacking, the more I doubt the validity of that position.
As you have been partaking of this group for a day and have not read even close to enough of what shady has been attempted here over the past few years I suggest you accept what the group owner tells you. There are regulatory bodies that do monitor forums like this. Do I need to say more? While you may not feel you are breaking any laws others have to toe the line. Something like the speed limit on the highway...it is not a suggestion..but many do speed...and eventually do get caught.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

To clarify, I should point out that the above quote seems 100% reasonable at face value. I'm not trying to challenge that policy.

What I'm not understanding how it's "in violation of manufacturer terms and conditions, government or regional laws or regulations or author copyright" for me to buy a router from overseas, then change the settings to make it compliant with local standards.

This policy is not about you. You're free to do what you want whether it's illegal/immoral in your country or not. The policy is (amongst other things) about protecting the owner of this site from the potential legal/financial consequences in his country of what people post. The main problem is that the same "instructions" that allow people to modify their routers to operate in a legal way are exactly the same instructions that people were abusing to make them operate in an illegal way.

Read this post (one out of hundreds) for some insight to the background of the problem):

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-comply-with-new-fcc-rules.18762/#post-133241

The SNB forums were always a place where people could come for expert advice on building "small networks". Unfortunately the said policy had to be implemented because it had descended into a hub of endless post from people asking how to bypass the legal restrictions on the their routers and operate them in an illegal way.

@ColinTaylor - Your response is the closest I've seen yet to a reasonable and helpful one. Thanks for that; I'm going through it now.

Of course I'm just trying to make my devices compliant with local regulations, but it seems to me that instead of living in the US and being subject to US policies, I'm living outside the US and I'm still subject to US policies :(

It's a shame that these things have such a chilling effect not only on free speech (and "code", which is protected as free speech) but also a chilling effect on my ability to gain understanding into setting up hardware to be compliant with local standards.

@ColinTaylor - Your response is the closest I've seen yet to a reasonable and helpful one. Thanks for that; I'm going through it now.

Of course I'm just trying to make my devices compliant with local regulations, but it seems to me that instead of living in the US and being subject to US policies, I'm living outside the US and I'm still subject to US policies :(

It's a shame that these things have such a chilling effect not only on free speech (and "code", which is protected as free speech) but also a chilling effect on my ability to gain understanding into setting up hardware to be compliant with local standards.

Your free speech or anyone else's isn't being chilled. The site owner is merely following the laws of their country, which should be respected, period.

You are free to find a more helpful site elsewhere that doesn't have to adhere to the US laws, but I doubt that they will be half as friendly and or nearly as helpful as SNB is. :)

Your free speech or anyone else's isn't being chilled. The site owner is merely following the laws of their country, which should be respected, period.

You are free to find a more helpful site elsewhere that doesn't have to adhere to the US laws, but I doubt that they will be half as friendly and or nearly as helpful as SNB is. :)
Please, explain to me how making a router compliant with my local regulations is in violation of US law, or "disrespectful" of US law...

Also, I'm not counting responses such as this, or "we don't have to justify our policies to anyone" as "helpful". I'm actually finding such responses to be the opposite of helpful.

Please, explain to me how making a router compliant with my local regulations is in violation of US law, or "disrespectful" of US law...

FCC regulations (which were changed a few years ago, and got heavily debated on these forums at the time) states that devices sold in the US must contain measures to ensure that the end-user cannot change any radio-related parameters that would allow them to bypass local regulations. While doing so may be legal in your country, posting such informations on these forums, which are hosted in the US, would allow people located in the US to bypass such regulations, and could put this site owner being legally challenged about it.

It's kinda like if some drugs were legal in your country, doesn't mean that a public forum available to the whole planet, especially one hosted in a country where these same drugs are illegal, would be able to allow such things to be publicly posted.

Countries are getting increasingly tough on what gets posted on the public Internet, and who is legally responsible that content.. With the new Copyright laws being voted in the EU lately for instance, a website/forum owner could potentially be legally responsible one of his users posted something illegal on his website, and he didn't take steps to take that content down ASAP.

This site owner doesn't want to have to hire a lawyer to review everything that gets posted to determine whether it could legally put him in trouble or not, so he went with the safest route, and forbid any such discussions.

Also, I'm not counting responses such as this, or "we don't have to justify our policies to anyone" as "helpful". I'm actually finding such responses to be the opposite of helpful.

You don't need to do anything except not twist my words to further your own agenda.

I simply stated that the site owners wish to follow their countries laws should be respected.