Upgrade firmware via cli

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Otto Rodusek

New Around Here
Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware via cli instead of webui? I have several AC88U, AX88U and AX3000(AX58) and would like to ssh remotely and initiate a firmware upograde but im not sure how to do an upgrade via the cli. Remote access to router is no issue. If there are any tutorials or instructions to upgrade the firmware via cli, I would very much like to know. Thank you for any assistance.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Yes, it's possible. I wouldn't.

If you're able to access the router at all, the GUI is preferred (with all its checks and balances).

See a few recent threads whereby upgrading by other means effectively bricked the router.

Tech9

Very Senior Member
As per @RMerlin comment below, SSH flash also performs the validation process:

I still wouldn't do it. If it fails for some reason, without physical access to the router I'll have limited options to fix it.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
The command line method does the validation process on HND, but not on the older models where it flats out writes direct to flash (hence the hnd-write vs mtd-write command difference).

Simply don't. Saving time is not a good enough reason to risk trashing a perfectly working router.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
If it fails for some reason, without physical access to the router I'll have limited options to fix it.
Especially true for non-HND models, where you are writing to a live filesystem. The web-based update takes care of creating a temporary root where it copies essential files that will be needed for the reboot process. If you directly write to flash, your router has a very high chance of crashing on the reboot due to the corrupted filesystem, requiring a manual power cycle to reboot it, with nothing but a flood of SQUASHFS errors in your console.

Tech9

Very Senior Member
The command line method does the validation process on HND, but not on the older models where it flats out writes direct to flash (hence the hnd-write vs mtd-write command difference).

Good to know. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!