What's new

Upgrade firmware via cli

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Otto Rodusek

New Around Here
Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware via cli instead of webui? I have several AC88U, AX88U and AX3000(AX58) and would like to ssh remotely and initiate a firmware upograde but im not sure how to do an upgrade via the cli. Remote access to router is no issue. If there are any tutorials or instructions to upgrade the firmware via cli, I would very much like to know. Thank you for any assistance.

Yes, it's possible. I wouldn't.

If you're able to access the router at all, the GUI is preferred (with all its checks and balances).

See a few recent threads whereby upgrading by other means effectively bricked the router.

If you're able to access the router at all, the GUI is preferred (with all its checks and balances).
This Is The Way

As per @RMerlin comment below, SSH flash also performs the validation process:

I still wouldn't do it. If it fails for some reason, without physical access to the router I'll have limited options to fix it.

The command line method does the validation process on HND, but not on the older models where it flats out writes direct to flash (hence the hnd-write vs mtd-write command difference).

Simply don't. Saving time is not a good enough reason to risk trashing a perfectly working router.

If it fails for some reason, without physical access to the router I'll have limited options to fix it.
Especially true for non-HND models, where you are writing to a live filesystem. The web-based update takes care of creating a temporary root where it copies essential files that will be needed for the reboot process. If you directly write to flash, your router has a very high chance of crashing on the reboot due to the corrupted filesystem, requiring a manual power cycle to reboot it, with nothing but a flood of SQUASHFS errors in your console.

The command line method does the validation process on HND, but not on the older models where it flats out writes direct to flash (hence the hnd-write vs mtd-write command difference).

Good to know. Thank you for the detailed explanation.