What's new

Upgrade Process for Old Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have upgraded and am putting everything back in my router. I ran the amtm curl command. How do I launch AMTM now? I do not see it on the post.

I have upgraded and am putting everything back in my router. I ran the amtm curl command. How do I launch AMTM now? I do not see it on the post.
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/amtm
If you eventually install entware, it will set it up so you can just type amtm at any time, without all the extra paths and shell.

It should run automatically the first time after you issued the curl command. If it didn't run then the install probably failed because you weren't in a writable directory.

So here is my post-upgrade notes.

I followed the steps I outlined above. I did the multiple upgrades and resets. All went successful, except my backups for the dhcp reservations and custom client list. I ran those commands and dumped the files on my usb drive, but when I went to import them to nvram, they were missing. I guss I could have deleted them, but I sure didn't think so. After inserting my usb drive, it says OPTWARE loaded. I guess I need to get rid of it since I am not using it and I want to install entware. Should I just delete the OPTWARE directory?

Overall the steps went fine. I have my comcast device still in router mode for now. This whole thing came about because I was having poor speeds on my 1Gbps internet connection, so I am going to continue to test speeds. So far, the wifi speeds are very inconsistent. I do have my Asus set to Auto on all the channels and settings for now. I do not like having the comcast device in router mode because I prefer to control everything from my Asus. Now, I have an extra layer of management and the comcast device cannot do a lot of what the Asus can.

I imported all of my scripts into the Asus except for the init-start, which was just a reboot script.

Few other questions...

1) What are the "must-haves" on entware? Just curious if its something I might be able to use.

2) Is it possible to install an SSL certificate on the Asus to encrypt the admin page? I see this new stuff with the temporary cert, but I have a wildcard so I'd prefer to use that if I could.

3) Whats the best way to do backup now? I know some talk about some backup script or something. Of course I know how to do a backup in the UI, but is there a better tool that gets everything?

Last edited:
2) Is it possible to install an SSL certificate on the Asus to encrypt the admin page? I see this new stuff with the temporary cert, but I have a wildcard so I'd prefer to use that if I could.
Yes, I've done this, though not with a wildcard - go to WAN, DDNS and then "Import/Persistent Auto-generated" to upload your private key and certificate. (That section of the UI is also linked from Administration/System/Local Access Config/Installed Server Certificate where it says "Click here to manage".) You don't need to set up DDNS to do this, it's just the section of the UI where you can upload your own cert.

Last edited:
3) Whats the best way to do backup now? I know some talk about some backup script or something. Of course I know how to do a backup in the UI, but is there a better tool that gets everything?
I won't claim it's the best way, but my simplistic automated backup script (/jffs/scripts/routerbackup.sh) is to backup nvram and jffs every week to an attached hard drive on my router.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ -d /mnt/backup ]; then
        nvram save /mnt/backup/settings_$(nvram get buildno)_$(nvram get extendno)_$(date +'%Y-%m-%d').cfg
        tar -czvf /mnt/backup/jffs_$(nvram get buildno)_$(nvram get extendno)_$(date +'%Y-%m-%d').tar.gz /jffs
fi
Then I set this up in cron (cru) with this command in /jffs/scripts/init-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cru a routerbackup "45 3 * * Fri sh /jffs/scripts/routerbackup.sh"
This will run my script at 03:45 AM every Friday morning. You can adjust the timing and frequency to suit your needs.

Isn't there an nvram backup tool that everyone talks about? It has the backup and restore option as I recall.

Isn't there an nvram backup tool that everyone talks about? It has the backup and restore option as I recall.
It's not compatible with the current branch of Merlin's firmware, only John's fork and the legacy Merlin firmware.

I won't claim it's the best way, but my simplistic automated backup script (/jffs/scripts/routerbackup.sh) is to backup nvram and jffs every week to an attached hard drive on my router.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ -d /mnt/backup ]; then
        nvram save /mnt/backup/settings_$(nvram get buildno)_$(nvram get extendno)_$(date +'%Y-%m-%d').cfg
        tar -czvf /mnt/backup/jffs_$(nvram get buildno)_$(nvram get extendno)_$(date +'%Y-%m-%d').tar.gz /jffs
fi
Then I set this up in cron (cru) with this command in /jffs/scripts/init-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cru a routerbackup "45 3 * * Fri sh /jffs/scripts/routerbackup.sh"
This will run my script at 03:45 AM every Friday morning. You can adjust the timing and frequency to suit your needs.

Nevermind, I figured out my issue. Overlooked the path check in the if statement. Fixed.