What's new

Upgrading my aging WR1043ND to an AC router. Recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dSam

New Around Here
Hi to all,

Looking for a new 802.11ac router to replace my current TL-WR1043ND.
I live in a small studio apartment (~500 sqft) and have 10 devices connecting to the network (3 wired, 4 5GHz ac capable, 3 2.4GHz only).

Now I'd like to be able to stream high quality video and play VR games from my PC to my Gear VR (by using Riftcat) -- unusable on my current network -- and potentially play games online.
Ideally looking for a solution under $100-$150.

I have OpenWRT running on my current router but this time I think I'd rather use a set-and-forget solution.

After doing some research these routers seemed to be recommended the most: Archer C7, R6700, RT-AC66u.
I'd really appreciate some input in order to decide for one of those or some other option not listed above.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I was on the same router WR1043ND and updated to a RT-AC68U. Highly recommend you follow the same path.

I've been looking at the RT-AC66U for being cheaper. Do you happen to know if your RT-AC68U has MU-MIMO capabilities (I've got 1 MU-MIMO capable device)? Also did you happen to get the 800MHz or 1GHz version?

Thanks

Last edited:
It doesn't support MU-MIMO, however since you only have one device it won't be used. You would need two or more devices for it to be effective. The 68U is pretty good regardless of MU-MIMO support.

I've been looking at the RT-AC66U for being cheaper. Do you happen to know if your RT-AC68U has MU-MIMO capabilities (I've got 1 MU-MIMO capable device)? Also did you happen to get the 800MHz or 1GHz version?

Thanks

No MU_MIMO as avtella said, I got the 1GHZ version. Great device.

No MU_MIMO as avtella said, I got the 1GHZ version. Great device.

Thank you all for the advice. I bought the RT-AC68U on Amazon (same day pickup) and have it rocking over here already. I like Asus' admin UI much better than TP-Link's so far.

2 questions: Do you set the SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios to be the same or do you give them different names? Should I spread my devices between the two bands (ie: Alexa, Chromecast and smart devices on the 2.4GHz and smartphones, tablets and computers on the 5GHz) or that shouldn't matter much in your experience?

I usuallly put non ac devices and Chromecasts on 2.4 Ghz along with my thermostat. I leave 5Ghz for more powerful devices like my smartphones and laptops.

Thank you all for the advice. I bought the RT-AC68U on Amazon (same day pickup) and have it rocking over here already. I like Asus' admin UI much better than TP-Link's so far.

2 questions: Do you set the SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios to be the same or do you give them different names? Should I spread my devices between the two bands (ie: Alexa, Chromecast and smart devices on the 2.4GHz and smartphones, tablets and computers on the 5GHz) or that shouldn't matter much in your experience?

I keep my SSIDs separate. Had too many dropped connections when I named them the same.

Another recommendation is to change ASUS stock firmware for Merlin's version. It rocks!

It also allows you to thinker with things should you so desire.