What's new

Breaking Dad's Big Bad Gaming Discussion - For all things to do with PC Gaming !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am actually enjoying Starfield. More likely due to venturing on all the side missions and not sticking to the main story line completely.
Some of the side missions I have done do feel better than the main one. I made it until the first temple on the main storyline. I just joined the UC Vanguard and got my first mission with them. Unfortunately it doesn't change all the issues I have with the gameplay experience itself.

Why are robots from the 24th century speaking like robots from Earth's 1970's? Vasco' speech pattern is so annoying that I never want to talk to him ever again. I guess in the future mankind lost both Google Maps and voice synthesis technologies.

I'm not holding my breath performance-wise. If after one year of extra polishing (initial launch date was in late 2022) this is what we got, then I guess it means that's all we're gonna get out of what is just a bad engine that no longer cuts it with 2023 hardware. Imagine how Starfield might have looked like with, for example, RED engine.

I'm still playing for now, but I doubt I'll put anywhere close to the number of hours I have put in Pathfinder: WOTR, Cyberpunk 2077 or BG3 (after I have done a planned second playthrough). Maybe that game would have felt better if it hadn't come just a month after a masterpiece like BG3.

I am also starting to enjoy the outpost and ship building, which seems to be the better features and talk of the game.
Considering everything is locked behind grindable skill levels, it probably will be weeks before I can start looking into outpost building.

I may have to lookup Elite Dangerous, as I may of missed that on my radar. Seems like that may have more in common with the stuck in perpetual Alpha design of a game, Star Citizen, from that small description you gave....
Elite Dangerous is admittedly not for everyone. It's generally a very slow-paced game (unless you focus on pirate hunting or piracy itself), which can be very relaxing to play. Last winter I loved spending a few quiet evenings just flying from system to system, scanning planters, and just piloting my ship around them. Space exploration was pretty rewarding money-wise, so I was able to quickly customize an optimal exploration ship (with very long jump range). I have seen vistas that were actually amazing to stare at, something that was hyped as existing in Starfield, but I have yet to experience anything even remotely close to what I experienced in Elite. I remember watching a sunrise on a barren planet (think something like the moon, that planet was all rock with no atmosphere), while I was prospecting on that planet in my surface buggy.

One of the nice things is there are many different playstyles possible: explorer (both planets and xenobiology), trader, cruise ship captain, asteroid mining, bounty hunter, pirate, mercenary in the war against the Thargoid aliens... And what's also nice is that you can do any of these, as you can have multiple ships specially tailored for specific goals. I have a ship designed strictly for deep space exploration, another for mining and cargo run, and a third ship for pirate hunting. When I stopped playing last spring I was even considering saving toward buying my own fleet carrier, and parking it in deep space as a base to make it easier for me to explore further deeper into unknown space. The first time a player explores a planet, his name is associated to it. There are many dozens of planets with my name associated to them as "First discovered by". And that's a game that launched in 2014. It gives you an idea of how insanely HUGE the galaxy is in that game if in 2023 I was still able to easily get first disco on so many planets.

Their last expansion also added the FPS playstyle element as you can go on foot in outpost and do sabotaging/spying/bounty hunting missions. However their game engine is pretty bad for this aspect, so it's not very popular with players. I never bothered with it outside of the tutorial so I could see what it was about.

BTW, Elite Dangerous' ancestry goes back to Elite in the 80's, which I played on my C64.

It's very possible that BG3 and Elite Dangerous are largely responsible for ruining Starfield for me, as I have seen what Starfield's promises could have been if properly developed.. I never played No Man's Sky but I suspect the same might be happening with people who played that game before playing Starfield.

I just built my first ship last night. Only bad is I had just over 113000 credits prior and now just over 1400 credits left. Guess going to have to do more missions to build funds back up. Ship looks cool enough and adds depth on the plus side lol.
Another major missing thing there is the ability to import/export your designs. Imagine being able to go to Nexus Mods, and download Serenity or the Rocinante into your game.

Wow... for me, we're going off-thread/interest... would be nice to break it out into it's own thread perhaps...

I'm actually loving Starfield, it's not perfect, it's very Bethesda, a bit tricky to navigate in places , lacking in any kind of tutorial but still for me throughly enjoyable.

I really wanted to like Elite Dangerous having been Deadly rank in the 80s on the BBC Micro. I found the ship so damn difficult to fly though that I gave up on it.

For me the Space combat in Starfield is excellent and more like the original Elite or at least how I remember it. I've just started ship building, and I'm confused about outpost building, I built one the other day but have no idea why or what it is for.
I would prefer it if there was a better map to locate the medical centre, the shops etc. I haven't tried anything illegal yet in the game, perhaps that's a thing to do on a second run through when you know what you're doing.

The game runs very nicely for me on my humble 7700x and 3070, I did use some of this https://www.ghacks.net/2023/09/08/starfield-performance-optimization-guide/ and it is even smoother than it already was.

@sfx2000 Apologies with we are fanboying Starfield too much, but this thread is to do with anything gaming and I am sure the novelty will wear off soon and we will be back to arguing about which chip is better AMD or Intel in due course. :D

On a side note I am considering BG3 when I get a good deal on it, having literally watched my German friend stream 5 hours of character creation the other night in discord.

Last edited:
I found the ship so damn difficult to fly though that I gave up on it.
The default controls are pretty bad. I swapped them so I can rotate with the keyboard and just steer left/right with the mouse, it was 100% more intuitive to fly.

Same with the surface rover, disabling driving assist is a must in this case.

I can't believe some people are still playing Star Garbage Field.🤣
It's not a bad game. It's just not a very good game. The current Steam score of 72%, which matches the IGN review of 7/10 is probably a very good evaluation of the game. All those reviewers who gave it a 10/10 are the ones who were smoking something.

It's all good - just remember that when I start posting about Desert Golf ;)
I'm all in on golf game discussions, used to be big into sensible golf back in the day on the Amiga, even remember the theme music.

I've been trying to persuade my discord group to play golf with friends, but it's like banging your head against a wall. Used to enjoy a few rounds of tiger woods on the consoles as well.

Last edited:
@sfx2000 Apologies with we are fanboying Starfield too much, but this thread is to do with anything gaming and I am sure the novelty will wear off soon and we will be back to arguing about which chip is better AMD or Intel in due course. :D

All good man - seriously, it is...

At some point we'll be back to what is the best cost/performance platforms and accessories...

Happy Christmas guys, It has been some time !, I have been busy with real life for a while.

Let's say I messed up my starfield saving by using a code to get passed a bugged mission, started it again from an old save, still haven't got back to where I was. In the mean time I also bought Baulders Gate 3, and omg that game is amazing. If you having got it and like rpgs, buy it and don't worry about the turn based combat its amazing.

Hope you're all doing well !

Been through some hardware changes myself over the past few weeks.

Let me start by asking a question: how can Corsair be such a dominant name when they have such poor reliability and design quality? To my count, out of the five Corsair products I have owned:

USB thumb drive:
Failed within a few weeks. My colleague who had bought the exact same model at the same time also saw his fail a few weeks later. Afterward when I checked on NCIX where I had purchased both, I discovered NCIX were also selling refurbs of that same model, which indicates they must have had a high enough return rate to explain them having a SKU for refurbs of that model.

RM750 PSU:
that one has been rock solid so far in my current PC. That`s manufactured by CWT tho, so it`s largely a rebranded product rather than an original Corsair product.

Dark Core RGB Pro:
Developed double clicks within a year. As a last ditch effort at fixing it, disassembling and dropping a shot of WD-40 did fix it (and also made clicks much quieter as a bonus). That last fine for over two years, until the wheel itself started having issues, where scrolling down would randomly first scroll up one page before starting to scroll down. Probably similar to double bounces issues, but at the wheel level.

K68 Red Keyboard:
Within less than two years, the key caps started falling off very easily if I slightly knocked them over while reaching for the keyboard. Cheap keycaps that didn`t fit snugly enough, I could easily remove a key by using just my pinky finger to lift it.

K70 keyboard:
Bought as a replacement to the previous one. Gave up after trying to use it for a week - the insanely loud metallic pinging noise when typing was driving me nuts. And that was a keyboard with MX Red switches, intended to be quiet. Multiple reviews also complained about that. It was like hitting a metal case with a small hammer just typing at a moderate strength. Whoever designed this never tried it without wearing headphones - plainly a bad design.

So, four bad experiences out of five. I'm done with that brand in general.

Now, the replacement (taking advantage of some nice discounts during Black Friday, because otherwise I wouldn't have paid full price for these)

Razer Black Widow V4 keyboard: This is night and day compared to both previous Corsair keyboards. Really quiet for a mechanical keyboard (I am using linear switches). Great typing experience, love the volume wheel (feels better to use than the Corsair K70 one), has macro keys on the left (had them mapped to launch TIdal and Calculator so far). Wrist rest is plush padding, rather than just a sheet of textured plastic like the Corsair used.

It was my first try with a Razer product, and since I liked the keyboard, I decided to also replace the mouse a week later, which would allow me to also uninstall that buggy piece of software that is Corsair iCue and which randomly loves to freeze and stop reporting my mouse battery levels).

Razer Basilisk V3 Pro (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B6Y3XYFG/?tag=smallncom-20
Really like this mouse so far. Battery life is like 5 times longer than the Corsair, which would last around 3-4 days on a charge when brand new, 2-3 days after two or three years. So far, I haven`t recharged my Basilisk after a week, battery still reports 68%! I miss the two extra thumb buttons the Corsair had, but these were hard to reach anyway so I almost never used them outside of an MMO I no longer play. I like having the freewheel mode like my old Logitech G700s used to have, you can switch mode at the press of a button. Make scrolling down large pages much faster.

These two Razer devices are a bit too expensive at their regular prices, so I recommend waiting for a discount to grab either of them. But so far the product and design quality both seem really good.

We`ll see how they do in the long run in terms of durability.

Let me start by asking a question: how can Corsair be such a dominant name when they have such poor reliability and design quality?

Guess it's down to product lines...

Flash Drives - I'm with the crowd here - not the first choice... there is another thread here on the best media.

RAM - they're a good partner - Can't say this with others, but in my experience - Kits/Sticks - they always made good...

Let me start by asking a question: how can Corsair be such a dominant name when they have such poor reliability and design quality? To my count, out of the five Corsair products I have owned:

USB thumb drive:
Failed within a few weeks. My colleague who had bought the exact same model at the same time also saw his fail a few weeks later. Afterward when I checked on NCIX where I had purchased both, I discovered NCIX were also selling refurbs of that same model, which indicates they must have had a high enough return rate to explain them having a SKU for refurbs of that model.

RM750 PSU:
that one has been rock solid so far in my current PC. That`s manufactured by CWT tho, so it`s largely a rebranded product rather than an original Corsair product.

Dark Core RGB Pro:
Developed double clicks within a year. As a last ditch effort at fixing it, disassembling and dropping a shot of WD-40 did fix it (and also made clicks much quieter as a bonus). That last fine for over two years, until the wheel itself started having issues, where scrolling down would randomly first scroll up one page before starting to scroll down. Probably similar to double bounces issues, but at the wheel level.

K68 Red Keyboard:
Within less than two years, the key caps started falling off very easily if I slightly knocked them over while reaching for the keyboard. Cheap keycaps that didn`t fit snugly enough, I could easily remove a key by using just my pinky finger to lift it.

K70 keyboard:
Bought as a replacement to the previous one. Gave up after trying to use it for a week - the insanely loud metallic pinging noise when typing was driving me nuts. And that was a keyboard with MX Red switches, intended to be quiet. Multiple reviews also complained about that. It was like hitting a metal case with a small hammer just typing at a moderate strength. Whoever designed this never tried it without wearing headphones - plainly a bad design.

Now, the replacement (taking advantage of some nice discounts during Black Friday, because otherwise I wouldn't have paid full price for these)

Razer Black Widow V4 keyboard: This is night and day compared to both previous Corsair keyboards. Really quiet for a mechanical keyboard (I am using linear switches). Great typing experience, love the volume wheel (feels better to use than the Corsair K70 one), has macro keys on the left (had them mapped to launch TIdal and Calculator so far). Wrist rest is plush padding, rather than just a sheet of textured plastic like the Corsair used.

It was my first try with a Razer product, and since I liked the keyboard, I decided to also replace the mouse a week later, which would allow me to also uninstall that buggy piece of software that is Corsair iCue and which randomly loves to freeze and stop reporting my mouse battery levels).

Really like this mouse so far. Battery life is like 5 times longer than the Corsair, which would last around 3-4 days on a charge when brand new, 2-3 days after two or three years. So far, I haven`t recharged my Basilisk after a week, battery still reports 68%! I miss the two extra thumb buttons the Corsair had, but these were hard to reach anyway so I almost never used them outside of an MMO I no longer play. I like having the freewheel mode like my old Logitech G700s used to have, you can switch mode at the press of a button. Make scrolling down large pages much faster.

These two Razer devices are a bit too expensive at their regular prices, so I recommend waiting for a discount to grab either of them. But so far the product and design quality both seem really good.

For me Corsair has been the opposite.

K70 Rapidfire keyboard - owned for a few years. Was reliable and still used with my server rack. I ended up moving to the Logitech G915 mechanical wireless RGB keyboard.

Corsair Wireless Dark Core Pro RGB SE - Still works well, but upgraded to a Logitech G502 X Plus wireless mouse.

Corsair Virtuosu Se - very good headset, albeit a little weighted. Still use it but use a Logitech Pro X 2 as my daily driver due to weight and one software installed for simplicity.

I also have a RM1000X Modular Psu in my PC, an 850W in my Son's and various RAM kits and a custom loop that was using Corsair pump and rads. I accidentally burned the PWM module out on the XD5 Pump to no fault of Corsairs. I still use the 2 rads and tubing though. I haven't had any issues. I guess each person's millage varies but Corsair is a brand I can 100% back and recommend.

For me Corsair has been the opposite.

K70 Rapidfire keyboard - owned for a few years. Was reliable and still used with my server rack. I ended up moving to the Logitech G915 mechanical wireless RGB keyboard.

Corsair Wireless Dark Core Pro RGB SE - Still works well, but upgraded to a Logitech G502 X Plus wireless mouse.

Corsair Virtuosu Se - very good headset, albeit a little weighted. Still use it but use a Logitech Pro X 2 as my daily driver due to weight and one software installed for simplicity.

I also have a RM1000X Modular Psu in my PC, an 850W in my Son's and various RAM kits and a custom loop that was using Corsair pump and rads. I accidentally burned the PWM module out on the XD5 Pump to no fault of Corsairs. I still use the 2 rads and tubing though. I haven't had any issues. I guess each person's millage varies but Corsair is a brand I can 100% back and recommend.
I have no issue with them. So they are great. I can 100% back and recommend.🤔

USB thumb drive:

RM750 PSU:

Dark Core RGB Pro:

K68 Red Keyboard:

K70 keyboard:

My two pence (cents)

I've not used their (Corsairs) keyboards apart from a low end K30 we have, which still works fine. PSU wise we had an RM850 in one of our systems, this got returned and replaced with an ASUS rog one, as it smelt of burning; something I was not prepared to risk in one of my sons bedrooms. I have a pair of their headphones that have been very reliable my daughter has the same ones and not had any issues in comparison the the Razer ones we had where the internal wires were so thin they broke.

I also have their DDR5 Dominator memory in my system which has proven to be reliable in comparison to the GSkill I had previously which would not boot at all with EXPO Settings enabled. I did have their RBG lighting in one pc but that did not work well at all and has since been replaced with a razer chroma rgb system. Also one of out systems has a Corsair case that does it's job ok.

I used to like Razer Keyboards and Mice, but the software (for me) is bloat and I can't be doing with Synapse on my systems (RBG Chroma doesn't need it) ICue however just sits there quietly and doesn't bother me too much, I used signal RGB to control all my lights anyway so only really use ICue to control the headphones eq and levels.

With a lot of these components it's all anecdotal and based on the lottery of what you actually get, as in you could get a decent PSU that lasts for ever, or you could get one that blows up as soon as you turn it on. Says it all these days for the quality control in these big tech giants.

My two pence (cents)

I've not used their (Corsairs) keyboards apart from a low end K30 we have, which still works fine. PSU wise we had an RM850 in one of our systems, this got returned and replaced with an ASUS rog one, as it smelt of burning; something I was not prepared to risk in one of my sons bedrooms. I have a pair of their headphones that have been very reliable my daughter has the same ones and not had any issues in comparison the the Razer ones we had where the internal wires were so thin they broke.

I also have their DDR5 Dominator memory in my system which has proven to be reliable in comparison to the GSkill I had previously which would not boot at all with EXPO Settings enabled. I did have their RBG lighting in one pc but that did not work well at all and has since been replaced with a razer chroma rgb system. Also one of out systems has a Corsair case that does it's job ok.

I used to like Razer Keyboards and Mice, but the software (for me) is bloat and I can't be doing with Synapse on my systems (RBG Chroma doesn't need it) ICue however just sits there quietly and doesn't bother me too much, I used signal RGB to control all my lights anyway so only really use ICue to control the headphones eq and levels.

With a lot of these components it's all anecdotal and based on the lottery of what you actually get, as in you could get a decent PSU that lasts for ever, or you could get one that blows up as soon as you turn it on. Says it all these days for the quality control in these big tech giants.
Corsair RM series: cheap Chicony or HXi or CWT OEM.
ASUS ROG PSU: SeaSonic OEM. I have ROG THOR which is overpriced PSU. ROG means Rogue.
Any system apps are far better than ASUS Armoury Garbage Crate.

Guess it's down to product lines...

Flash Drives - I'm with the crowd here - not the first choice... there is another thread here on the best media.

RAM - they're a good partner - Can't say this with others, but in my experience - Kits/Sticks - they always made good...
Yeah some of it is down to product lines. Their high end RAM as far as I know, is not even really well binned for the price. Pretty much paying extra for average ram for looks/RGB with the “Dominator” series, much better alternatives out there if you actually want better timings/dies. Haven’t owned their mice or keyboards but their fans and pumps I have and ran into consistent QC issues…sometimes cosmetic, sometimes functional. I bought a GPU waterblock for my 4090 which wasn’t even milled to fit the extra VRMs vs standard variant though box claimed they supported the MSI Suprim… Their fan kits were all over the place with half the fans making differing noises at various frequencies… ML / AR series… Noctua NF-A series is much better for balance between noise/performance/consistency. Corsair overall seems like Razer back in the day in some ways; excellent marketing vs so-so quality.. Their PSUs mostly third party like Seasonic (couple models years ago), CWT etc not bad. Their cases aren’t bad either, at least for me, I really like the 4&5000D Airflow series.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!