What's new

Upgrading to 1.5gbps from 1gigapbit speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is only 1 Cable provider that I know in canada that has gone mid split and that is shaw. You can get 100 Mbps uploads with them modems would be docsis 3.1 on the download side and 3.0 on the upload.
VIdéotron is also doing the hybrid 3.0/3.1 setup. I have 400/50 here (through a TPIA), Can`t recall how my channels are split, because they decided a few years ago to remotely disable the modem`s web UI, even tho I own the damn modem. So, I can`t check how they are allocated.

They are still trying to free up enough frequencies to be able to go full 3.1, and bump the upstream speeds. That has been in the plans for years now. They are moving like snails... Part of the problem is their old Illico platform, and people refusing to upgrade to something that isn`t 15 years old.

I wish I had in my area 950/950 option for $75/month. I pay $108/month for 500/30 and this plan is not available anymore.
Is that CAD? If it is that’s actually similar to Comcast here, but the upload speed is better. For a similar amount we get 600/20.

They are still trying to free up enough frequencies to be able to go full 3.1, and bump the upstream speeds. That has been in the plans for years now. They are moving like snails... Part of the problem is their old Illico platform, and people refusing to upgrade to something that isn`t 15 years old.

That snail pace is the problem for all cable operators in North America and with more people working from home everyone is starting to see how important upload bandwidth is. I'm hoping for most of the Cable providers in Canada to go Mid split but its always when. This link below not for you but for anyone wanting to know more about Docsis cables and the splits good article here.

That sub-split would be low and I think those are theoretical maximums because there are no Cable operators doing a low split and offering 100mbps uploads. And I think its because they generally over sell the cable nodes and you get something like 128-200 users sharing a node. So 50 Mbps is usually the max I see on a low split. Rogers use to offer 50 Mbps on their 1Gbps Package but had to move that down to like 35 Mbps because network couldn't handle it.

1658584996725.png

Yeah it’s a mess. 4.0 is a long way off, though I thought midsplit was going to allow “up to” 200Mbps up.

It will all depend on the node and signal quality. Going to quote a Poster from Arstechnica on this "Wheels Of Confusion"

"Across both DSL and Coax, the condition of the cable is a constant battle. Cable wasn't my field but I know that shielding can be broken, RF sources can leak out (or in), shared lines can be crowded during peak hours, a splitter can wear out, spurious voltage spikes can lobotomize equipment, unterminated ports let noise and moisture in, etc. etc. For DSL, conductors can be nicked or corroded. high-resistance open faults, shorts, grounding AND ungrounding faults, failing dialtone filters, bad cards in the VRAD, unbalanced pairs, RF interference, spurious voltage can be introduced. The most common failure modes of both are noise, corrosion, failed shielding, and lightning strikes traveling down the lines. All of which can be caused by weather or animals or sloppy people. "

So its a contant battle to maintain that Copper plant and everything downstream. Fiber may be expensive to run at the start but you avoid most of all of this above and its much eaiser to maintain and to increase speed and its why that is the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!