What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I couldn't find it else where however thinking of some other Mfr routers I have experience with, they use a kind of UI page style template. If you set your browser to No Page Style, you some times can see whats hidden behind in the UI. This is seen in FF.

LAN - Switch Control
line_export.png

Setting GT-AC5300 switch control.
Enable Jumbo Frame Disabled
NAT Acceleration Disabled

CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled.
Enable GRO(Generic Receive Offload) Yes No
Bonding/ Link aggregation
Please enable Bonding (802.3ad) support of your wired client and connect it to Router LAN5 and LAN6.

Bonding Policy Default, Source or Destination Bonding.

So I updated to the latest FW, I think I did at least. Not sure if the process was really completed as I used OSX and Safari wired PC to the router. Just unpacked the zip file and selected this file in the UI. Said it was updating. Waited about 5 minutes and nothing changed in the browser. I lost UI access after this however still had internet. So I figured, lets power cycle. After the power cycle got internet and access to the UI again.

I changed QoS to Adaptive, Auto Bandwidth and Select Custom mode. Applied the setting. After the changes were saved I lost internet access both on PC and iPhone. Apps would load however not the data they were looking for. Ok, whats wrong here? So I changed to Traditional QoS and applied the manual band width speeds and applied the setting. I now have access to internet resources.

I presume this is the problem I'm seeing with Adaptive QoS that someone mentioned earlier?

I may reload FW from a Windows PC and see if I notice anything different in that process...
Ok, I see that Safari in OSX didn't show the progress bar information. IE11 in Windows 10x64 did. :confused:

Last edited:
So I updated to the latest FW, I think I did at least. Not sure if the process was really completed as I used OSX and Safari wired PC to the router. Just unpacked the zip file and selected this file in the UI. Said it was updating. Waited about 5 minutes and nothing changed in the browser. I lost UI access after this however still had internet. So I figured, lets power cycle. After the power cycle got internet and access to the UI again.

I changed QoS to Adaptive, Auto Bandwidth and Select Custom mode. Applied the setting. After the changes were saved I lost internet access both on PC and iPhone. Apps would load however not the data they were looking for. Ok, whats wrong here? So I changed to Traditional QoS and applied the manual band width speeds and applied the setting. I now have access to internet resources.

I presume this is the problem I'm seeing with Adaptive QoS that someone mentioned earlier?

I may reload FW from a Windows PC and see if I notice anything different in that process...
Ok, I see that Safari in OSX didn't show the progress bar information. IE11 in Windows 10x64 did. :confused:

I don't know where I read it [possibly on "official" Asus web site forums], but I know QoS wasn't working like it should on the Asus GT-RC5300 according to what some users were experiencing. It's been about 45-60 days since the last FW update provided from ASUS. You might want to 'venture' over to the "Official" Asus web site forums and browse for posts relating to the Asus GT-RC5300.

Is there a way to make this work on the Asus RT-AC5300 using the latest Merlin FW? After looking at it / reading it, I'm still confused to how this could possibly work on the Asus RT-AC5300 [using latest Merlin FW]. Some of this stuff is like trying to read / interpret Greek for me. :)
Yes but it requires modification of ip tables, which is some one posted in a thread I've seen, something I have to learn.

Yes but it requires modification of ip tables, which is some one posted in a thread I've seen, something I have to learn.
Thanks for the info.....please let me know what you learn and hopefully you can share. I'd really like to learn / understand how to modify the IP Tables to allow for "FULL CONE NAT" on the Asus RT-AC5300. :)

Thanks for the info.....please let me know what you learn and hopefully you can share. I'd really like to learn / understand how to modify the IP Tables to allow for "FULL CONE NAT" on the Asus RT-AC5300. :)
no problem, I think symmetric is what it uses by default, the major nat issues should be gone by now after 380.66, which f/w version are u running.

no problem, I think symmetric is what it uses by default, the major nat issues should be gone by now after 380.66, which f/w version are u running.

I'm running latest Merlin FW (380.67_0). I just installed it this morning. I was previously running Merlin FW version 380.62_1.

ah awesome which consoles u having issues whith, also do u reboot your router once a day at least that is if you dont power it off for the night. Aslo keep in mind gen one consoles have buggy upnp

ah awesome which consoles u having issues whith, also do u reboot your router once a day at least that is if you dont power it off for the night. Aslo keep in mind gen one consoles have buggy upnp
I have the Xbox One S and the Xbox One Elite. I don't reboot my router once a day, and I don't power it off at night either.

I have the original xbox one their notorious for upnp buggyness, I'd reboot your router or leave it on a 2am reboot schedule, I noticed that upnp will have a seizure if you don't from my experience, if your running an rt-5300 multi console support should in theory work fine form my experience,
hang on if you have 2 consoles and don't reboot the router, that's half the issue, your not running a voip ata or ip phones by any chance, also which internet type do you have, may I ask?
also your comment won't load for me for some reason. I got it in my inbox though.

Last edited:
So sounds like the GT-5300 with it's OEM FW is probably not supporting of FULL CONE nat and if ASUS won't let Merlin be supporting then using multiple game consoles with same game configurations and achieving OPEN NAT across the board is probably not going to happen.

I will be interested in seeing the AC Merlin FW have the ability to get FULL CONE if possible. Something that maybe cold be added into the Merlin builds? Maybe a select feature that users can enable and disable if needed.

o sounds like the GT-5300 with it's OEM FW is probably not supporting of FULL CONE nat

All Asuswrt routers share the same miniupnpd daemon and implementation (except for my firmware where the daemon is slightly newer, adds PCP support, and has a slightly different firewall implementation).

And what about this NAT type kind? Is it only Symmetric? OEM and your Merlin? We don't seem to be able to find a solution to this problem. As with other Mfrs that on some of there routers, seem to support this FULL CONE NAT and does work with two or more consoles with the same game at the same time.

I haven't been playing the same games as my son as of late, but NAT seems to be staying open on both consoles as long as I remember to hard reboot the Xbox(s) post any primary router reboot. For whatever reason the UPnP forwards do not set in the router unless the console is hard reboot. Luckily my router stays up for months at a time.

My network configuration is more complicated than most as I have 2 routers bridged via powerline adapters, but both are running Shibby Tomato (primary AsusRTAC68U= 138; secondary AsusRT-N12= 135)

We are kind of looking for OPEN NAT across both console dash board and same in game NAT status. So far, mostly OPEN NAT is seen on the console networking dash board, however in same game, one console is OPEN NAT while the other is Moderate NAT. i.e. BO3 on both consoles.

Yes, when I make change changes to the router, I reboot the router and hard power OFF the consoles and bring them back up one at a time.

Wonder what Tomato is supporting as far as NAT Type goes, Symmetric NAT or Full Cone? Any chance you can find this out?

I haven't been playing the same games as my son as of late, but NAT seems to be staying open on both consoles as long as I remember to hard reboot the Xbox(s) post any primary router reboot. For whatever reason the UPnP forwards do not set in the router unless the console is hard reboot. Luckily my router stays up for months at a time.

My network configuration is more complicated than most as I have 2 routers bridged via powerline adapters, but both are running Shibby Tomato (primary AsusRTAC68U= 138; secondary AsusRT-N12= 135)

I set my Asus RT-AC5300 to reboot every morning at 0400. I've never had any issues when I didn't reboot however, I probably doesn't hurt to have it reboot everyone morning :)

My config is a little on the crazy side are you running 380.66 or newer, the first major upnp fix happened in 380.66, which fixed multi console support.

All Asuswrt routers share the same miniupnpd daemon and implementation (except for my firmware where the daemon is slightly newer, adds PCP support, and has a slightly different firewall implementation).
On the miniupnp forums some guys fixed multiple console support with masquerade rules, sameway you did in 380.66