What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you make contact with the one guy who posted about configuring the IPTables? Maybe RMerlin can help.

Sooo I went and tested it all I can say is, it feels like I'm missing something there has to be more rules to switch nat types, I seem to have had an issue about what tips to assign, the issue is to do with my public ip its dynamic keeps changing so SNAT cant get the ip required.

You guys are starting to give me a headache with those multiple posts over four separate threads about NAT types...

Try the following script (can be set as a nat-start script, or manually run):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING ! -s $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr) -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j SNAT --to-source $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr)

The PREROUTING DNAT rules are already configured by UPNP. What this does is change the POSTROUTING MASQUERADE into an SNAT.

No guarantee it will solve your problems (because there's no guarantee this IS the source of your problem).

BTW, Moderate NAT is not the end of the world. What is problematic is if you get a Strict NAT.

NAT is a headache in itself. :)

NAT has the nice benefit of being a firewall in itself.

I suspect a lot of people with IPv6 are currently left wide open to the world, either due to their router manufacturers failing to having any real IPv6 firewall (Asus used to be one of them until I fixed this), or people not understanding how IPv6 works when compared to IPv4+NAT.

Not saying I regret that IPv6 won't use NAT (except for some silly people insisting on it), but it does offer some benefits at the moment.

Yes, know that Sony uses there own naming convention when it comes to NAT status displayed on the Consoles. Differs from what MS uses.

So that explains why I always get NAT Type 2 on PS4. I'm using a router and not directly connected to the Modem.

Sorry to be apart of this. I'm just tying to keep this issue alive an help others in this situation with multiple game console and same game understand what were all seeing on these routers and the underlying issues with this symmetric vs full cone nat handling of them.

Not trying to make it hard on anyone. Just hoping that as time goes one, more people will be come aware and understand more about it.

Maybe moderate nat isn't the end of of world and I can agree, however it can be problematic in some gaming, i.e. CoD. from my experiences. Also when we can achieve OPEN NAT in game across two or more consoles, it seems to work better if at all possible. There are some routers that can do this and some that can't.

Hoping that Merlin FW can find the right configuration to help achieve this for Asus router users.

I'm hoping some time in the near future we can put this all to rest, It's been going on for too long anyways. Hoping that this new MS feature being talked about will help with that. ;)

I'm trying to keep this thread as the main thread for this NAT issue.

You guys are starting to give me a headache with those multiple posts over four separate threads about NAT types...

Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING ! -s $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr) -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j SNAT --to-source $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr)

The PREROUTING DNAT rules are already configured by UPNP. What this does is change the POSTROUTING MASQUERADE into an SNAT.

No guarantee it will solve your problems (because there's no guarantee this IS the source of your problem).

BTW, Moderate NAT is not the end of the world. What is problematic is if you get a Strict NAT.

Hoping that Merlin FW can find the right configuration to help achieve this for Asus router users.

Try that script, you'll see what happens. For all intent and purposes, it should match what the iptables mailing list thread referred to as being a full cone NAT, unless they expect the rules to be applied to the remote server rather than the WAN IP, but I doubt it. And I can't find any way to test it from a PC (I don't have a game console). All I know is that my regular Internet NAT still works fine.

I guess I need to find a ASUS router soon so I can help test this. I have the GT currently and of course, no support yet. I've asked Biggshooter if he can do this as well as he's got the AC5300.

Try that script, you'll see what happens. For all intent and purposes, it should match what the iptables mailing list thread referred to as being a full cone NAT, unless they expect the rules to be applied to the remote server rather than the WAN IP, but I doubt it. And I can't find any way to test it from a PC (I don't have a game console). All I know is that my regular Internet NAT still works fine.

I'm hoping to try the script you posted however, I'm not quite sure where I should enter the "script". This is a learning experience for me as it's above my basic home networking "comfort" level. I'm hoping that those providing me this learning experience have patience. :)

I've gamed with the N66U, AC68P and the AC88U. I always get Open NAT with those by just having NAT enabled.

using OEM or 3rd party FW?

I presume those maybe FULL CONE NAT routers?

I've gamed with the N66U, AC68P and the AC88U. I always get Open NAT with those by just having NAT enabled.

Ok, something I can possibly add to the list...

For some reason the PS4 handles NAT better than the Xbox. There's times I'll have both consoles on and the PS4 is Open and the Xbox is moderate or strict.

What router are u using when you see this behavior with the xboxes?

For some reason the PS4 handles NAT better than the Xbox. There's times I'll have both consoles on and the PS4 is Open and the Xbox is moderate or strict.

I could never get my WRT1900AC v1 to work well with two consoles. :oops:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sry merlin its my fault, I'm having truble with focus ill keep it here from now on, and thanks for the rules, also theirs no harm in us trying to fix it, ill give the new rules a go.