What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just curious why you have a switch between the ISP modem and the RT3100?
Best wired configuration practice is the following
ISP modem (NO NAT)--->Main Host Router(NAT)--->Switch or game consoles directly connected to host router or switch.

This is my configuration above and even though I don't have a ASUS router at the moment, I don't have a static IP with the ISP and I can achieve OPEN NAT on both dashboard and in game with two XB1s with my current router using the configuration above.

Are you getting OPEN NAT on the dashboard and in game?

I was able to find the sure fire solution for getting two open nats on two Xbox one’s in the same house.

I tried it all! I couldn’t even guess how many hours I spent trying to achieve two open nats. I would get both open and a few days later one or both would be moderate or strict.

The 100% sure fire solution is (and it may not be popular) two static IP’s and two routers! My set up is:

ISP modem ---> Switch---> RT AC 3100(static IP) Switch---> Asus RT AC 68U(static IP)

I've had open nats on both consoles since the day I did this. It’s not the easiest (need to set up Static IP's with your ISP) or cheapest solution but as far as I’m concerned it’s the only true solution. Two Xbox’s on one network just don’t play well together..

Hope this helps.

Just curious why you have a switch between the ISP modem and the RT3100?
Best wired configuration practice is the following
ISP modem (NO NAT)--->Main Host Router(NAT)--->Switch or game consoles directly connected to host router or switch.

This is my configuration above and even though I don't have a ASUS router at the moment, I don't have a static IP with the ISP and I can achieve OPEN NAT on both dashboard and in game with two XB1s with my current router using the configuration above.

Are you getting OPEN NAT on the dashboard and in game?
I don't know networking so excuse my ignorance but I was told I need the switch before the routers. The 3100 is assigned a static IP, anything behind that router would see that IP wouldn't it? It would be like going directly from the 3100 to the 68U and then trying to assign a 2nd static up in the 68U. They would conflict... I think? The switch before either router allows each router to pick up the static ip directly from the ISP. I could try it the way you suggested but I don't think it would work.

Edit to add: Keep in mind, each router has its own separate static IP. You need to get your ISP to assign two static IP's, one for each router. This is why they never conflict and mess with your nat. They are on totally separate networks.

Edit to add again: I technically don’t think I needed to use a switch before the routers. I could have had my ISP assign one Static IP to LAN port 1 and the other Static IP to LAN port two on the ISP modem but that was going to be more work and I was able to achieve the same thing by going LAN port one to a switch and then going from the switch (gigabit) to each Asus router.

Last edited:
Before you make any changes, what is the MFr and model of the ISP modem?
DSL, Cable or Fiber?
Unless the ISP specifically told you to use a switch, then I don't see why a switch would be needed. The WAN port on routers and the behavior of them based on there design can handle picking up Static or Dynamic IP addressing from ISP services and modems, unless there is a special kind of ISP service you have or ISP Modem or ONT? Fiber services use ONTs not modems. A bit different.

On page 7 gives a LAN wired configuration with an ISP modem when using your RT3100:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC88U/NA10303_RT_AC88U_QSG.pdf

Other router Mfrs have similar configurations.

I don't know networking so excuse my ignorance but I was told I need the switch before the routers. The 3100 is assigned a static IP, anything behind that router would see that IP wouldn't it? It would be like going directly from the 3100 to the 68U and then trying to assign a 2nd static up in the 68U. They would conflict... I think? The switch before either router allows each router to pick up the static ip directly from the ISP. I could try it the way you suggested but I don't think it would work.

Last edited:
Before you make any changes, what is the MFr and model of the ISP modem?
DSL, Cable or Fiber?
Unless the ISP specifically told you to use a switch, then I don't see why a switch would be needed. The WAN port on routers and the behavior of them based on there design can handle picking up Static or Dynamic IP addressing from ISP services and modems, unless there is a special kind of ISP service you have or ISP Modem or ONT? Fiber services use ONTs not modems. A bit different.

On page 7 gives a LAN wired configuration with an ISP modem when using your RT3100:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC88U/NA10303_RT_AC88U_QSG.pdf

Other router Mfrs have similar configurations.
My ISP modem is a 2Wire. Copper line.. waiting on fiber to be installed at my house.

I looked at page 7 and that's exactly how I have my router hooked up. The reason for the switch is I have two routers. Both the 3100 and 68U need to be connected to the 2wire. Rather than assigning static ip's to the LAN ports on the 2wire I opted to go with the switch after them modem but before either router. I tried connecting the 68U to a lan port on the 3100 and I lost Ethernet Wan on the 68U. I assume the static IP's are conflicting? Move it back to the switch and all works as it should? I'm not arguing any point here. I'm just offering a solution that worked for me. If you put each xbox on a different network they will no longer conflict and give Nat issues. It was the only way I was able to fix the issue for good.

Is Microsoft using (or testing) any port forward with a privileged port (meaning a port below 1024)? If so, that could explain some of the issues. Ports 1-1023 on *IX systems (such as the router) are considered privileged, and should normally only be used by system services (such as a web server), not by end users.

If really Microsoft is using these ports for a gaming console, then the default might need to be updated.
Is it possible to turn on some kind of logging for UPnP?

Are the Static WAN IP addresses on each of the asus routers the same or different? If it's different, may explain why switch is needed. Would also explain why your getting OPEN NAT on two xb1s at the same time, there using two different Public WAN IP addresses from each of the routers.

My configuration is using 1 Public WAN IP address and two XB1s are using the same Public WAN IP address.

2Wired is a modem/router I believe. Depending on how the ISP can configure it, sounds like in your configuration, the 2wires router is disabled and seems to be set to pass a NAT free static Public WAN IP addresses(s) to your two routers.

My ISP modem is a 2Wire. Copper line.. waiting on fiber to be installed at my house.

I looked at page 7 and that's exactly how I have my router hooked up. The reason for the switch is I have two routers. Both the 3100 and 68U need to be connected to the 2wire. Rather than assigning static ip's to the LAN ports on the 2wire I opted to go with the switch after them modem but before either router. I tried connecting the 68U to a lan port on the 3100 and I lost Ethernet Wan on the 68U. I assume the static IP's are conflicting? Move it back to the switch and all works as it should? I'm not arguing any point here. I'm just offering a solution that worked for me. If you put each xbox on a different network they will no longer conflict and give Nat issues. It was the only way I was able to fix the issue for good.

Last edited:
Are the WAN IP addresses on each of the asus routers the same or different? If it's different, may explain why switch is needed.
They are different. Each asus router is assigned a different static ip. Which makes two completely separate networks in the same house. This is how the Nat's on the xbox never conflict.

Yep and that works for you and this configuration. Ya, if you get two Public WAN IP addresses, one for each router and you connect the game consoles to each, ya, there wont be any issues with NAT for gaming.
This is not normal for most home users and most average home users only get one WAN IP address and have one main host router. So your configuration is not fully bullet proof for most of us. Just saying. Good for you though.

Must be nice to have two WAN IP addresses. Will be interesting to see if you get Fiber, will you still keep two WAN addresses or go back to one?

They are different. Each asus router is assigned a different static ip. Which makes two completely separate networks in the same house. This is how the Nat's on the xbox never conflict.

Hmm, i really don't think having two separate networks should be the only viable way to connect 2 xb1. That's seems to be over kill to me.
Does the original topic starter have ipv6?
Also i would try merlins or johns firmware. I know they made some changes with mini upnp. I have not used the stock firmware in a long time.

Also can you test with both XB1 connected directly to the router so the AP is taken out of the equation?

Our ISP offers two free static IP's based on the package we have. If we had a lower package with lower monthly fee for high speed I would have to pay 10.00 a month for the extra static IP.

I agree, its kinda BS. Not only did I need the static IP's, I needed to get a second router!! I have an Xbox one and so does my kid. Call of Duty wouldn't work for us. We like to play together. As I said, I have limited networking experience and after hours and hours and hours of trying everything I could find online I gave up and went this way. In my opinion it's worth it.. stress is a killer haha.

Ya it's nice to have two WAN ip addresses. Just not normal for most of us home users. I presume cost is a factor as well and weather or not ISPs support or have packages like that. Enjoy man. You'll be fine with that configuration.

Our ISP offers two free static IP's based on the package we have. If we had a lower package with lower monthly fee for high speed I would have to pay 10.00 a month for the extra static IP.

I agree, its kinda BS. Not only did I need the static IP's, I needed to get a second router!! I have an Xbox one and so does my kid. Call of Duty wouldn't work for us. We like to play together. As I said, I have limited networking experience and after hours and hours and hours of trying everything I could find online I gave up and went this way. In my opinion it's worth it.. stress is a killer haha.

Is it possible to turn on some kind of logging for UPnP?

No. You'd have to compile miniupnpd with debugging enabled.

I am happy that you are able to get your xb1 working together but your solution is not going to work for everyone. I have not played cod in months and i have not played cod with my son on the same network in a couple of years. However we both have open NAT and can play Destiny together and use party chat with no issues. Curious if cod is messing the nat up since I do recall back in the day i would have open nat in the dashboard but moderate in game. However a router reboot would fix it. I only have one copy of cod aw but i can turn on both xbox and take turns checking in the game nat status with both xboxs on. Anyway i want to get this issue solved. However with ipv6 rolling out, nat issues will just be a bad memory. Lol

I'm wondering if the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware build for the ASUS RT-AC5300 allows for two Xbox One gaming consoles to achieve OPEN NAT on the same network? I currently have UPnP enabled and using the latest "official" Asus firmware release (3.0.0.4.380_3941). I am only able to get one Xbox One gaming console to achieve OPEN NAT. The second Xbox One always shows MODERATE NAT or STRICT NAT.

Both Xbox One gaming consoles are WIRED directly to the ASUS RT-AC5300 via CAT6 cable.

**Xbox One S wired directly to back of ASUS RT-AC5300 w/ DHCP IP reservation
**Xbox One Elite wired directly to back of HP Network Switch which is wired directly to back of ASUS RT-AC-5300 w/ DHCP IP reservation

Please let me know if you need any additional network configuration information. I'd really like to resolve the issue of only ONE Xbox One gaming console achieving OPEN NAT. Back when I had two Xbox 360's gaming consoles, I was able to achieve OPEN NAT on both consoles using the D'LINK DGL-4500.

Thanks for taking time to respond with any ideas / suggestions / trouble-shooting tips. :)

Yeah i helped furry on the dgl forums set up the game fuel configuration on the 4500 back in the day. He is a good guy!
Anyway. Here is my set up. Both xb1 wired directly to the asus rt-ac66r. Xbox one network settings. IP and dns settings set to automatic. Instant mode turned off. In the router, both xb1 set to a static ip.
Wait a second! There WAS a setting in the asus router that i changed to achieve open nat on both xbox 1! In the wan settings make sure the allowed port range for internal and external is set to 1:65535! Before i changed that I would have nat issues! Remember to do a full power cycle reboot on both xboxs and router. Also clear the alternate mac address on the xbox dashboard under network settings.

I just wanted to provide an update regarding the issue of OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network.

Troubleshooting Steps - 1st Go-Around
1. Cleared Alternate Mac Address on both Xbox One gaming consoles (Xbox One S / Xbox One Elite)
2. Rebooted both Xbox One gaming consoles by depressing the Power Button for 10+ seconds
3. Rebooted the ASUS RT-AC5300 ruuter
4. Powered on the Xbox One S - checked NAT status (NETWORK dashboard) - OPEN NAT
5. Loaded Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Xbox One S) - checked NAT status in game - OPEN NAT
6. Powered on the Xbox One Elite - checked NAT status (NETWORK dashboard) - MODERATE NAT
CONCLUSION: Failed to achieve OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network

Troubleshooting Steps - 2nd Go-Around
1. Rebooted both Xbox One gaming consoles by depressing the Power Button for 10+ seconds
2. Rebooted the ASUS RT-AC5300 ruuter (lol -e38BimmerFN)
3. Powered on the Xbox One Elite (instead of Xbox One S) - checked NAT status (NETWORK dashboard) - OPEN NAT
4. Powered on the Xbox One S - checked NAT status (NETWORK dashboard) - OPEN NAT
5. Loaded Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Xbox One S) - checked NAT status in game - MODERATE NAT
CONCLUSION: SUCCESSFUL in achieving OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network however, CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS 3 shows MODERATE NAT in game.

I plan eliminating Troubleshooting Step #5 in 1st Go-Around to see if both Xbox One gaming consoles end up with OPEN NAT in the NETWORK dashboard. I will post later this afternoon with my findings. Stay tuned......

Thanks to everyone that has provided info / suggestions regarding obtaining OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network. :)

CONCLUSION: SUCCESSFUL in achieving OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network however, CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS 3 shows MODERATE NAT in game.

I plan eliminating Troubleshooting Step #5 in 1st Go-Around to see if both Xbox One gaming consoles end up with OPEN NAT in the NETWORK dashboard. I will post later this afternoon with my findings. Stay tuned......
I hate to be a party pooper but getting an open Nat on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network is only half the battle. I was able to achieve that many times. The real issue is they don't stay that way. I was able to get them both open for a few days and then without fail one or both would change to moderate or strict.

Please keep up with it. I would be very interested to see a final solution that doesn't include two networks.

Good luck on the journey.

Ya I think in game NAT and how those particular game handle detection and reporting of it may not be good and could be giving false information. I know that I can get OPEN NAT across the board with the 655 router but not all games have the NAT status feature. I tried Halo 5 last note and couldn't find any networking features in the game. I'll look at Ghost this evenings. I think that the dash board status would be more important to look at and ensure that OPEN NAT is seen here on all consoles rather then trying to get OPEN NAT in the game. I think only CoD games MW and BO are mostly the only ones with in game NAT status. BO3 has been the worse game all around done by Trayarch ever. Bad audio, chat and in game performance is horrid. Been the worse game I've ever bought. Why we keep playing that game. :mad:. I'm going back to Ghosts until we get MW-R in. :D

Thanks to everyone that has provided info / suggestions regarding obtaining OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network. :)
Get a DIR-655 Rev B ruuter. o_O

Last edited: