What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any time I make a change that effects the WAN side, it takes 6 minutes for the router to come to ready and even then I have to manually select the DISCONNECTED link to get the WAN port to connect and get a WAN IP address. Ya it came loaded with most current FW.

Your ISP might be sensitive to DHCP requests. Change DHCP mode from Aggressive to normal on the WAN page.

I would also avoid using Traditional QoS, as it's currently broken on the RT-AC5300.

Thank you RMerlin,

I know know about ISP being sensitive however I will try that. ISP is Cable One and using a SB 6121. I didn't know about this "aggressive" mode.

And didn't know about QoS being broke. I presume this in on OEM FW and Merlin or just OEM?

Also, is there a way to disable DNS relay in OEM FW?

Your ISP might be sensitive to DHCP requests. Change DHCP mode from Aggressive to normal on the WAN page.

I would also avoid using Traditional QoS, as it's currently broken on the RT-AC5300.

And didn't know about QoS being broke. I presume this in on OEM FW and Merlin or just OEM?

Both are broken. The issue seems to lie within the Broadcom closed source architecture, so only Asus/Broadcom can fix it.

Also, is there a way to disable DNS relay in OEM FW?

You can configure the DHCP page to provide a specific nameserver to your clients, however this is not the recommended configuration, as you will lose the ability of resolving LAN hostnames if you directly use the ISP's nameserver, in addition to losing the caching capabilities of dnsmasq.

Thank you RM, I figured it was more of a core issue.

Sometimes I've found using DNS relay options impacts some performance in certain applications and configurations. I'll try both methods and see what happens. I haven't had issues resolving LAN hostnames, however the Asus is new to me so may differ from other Mfr routers.

Both are broken. The issue seems to lie within the Broadcom closed source architecture, so only Asus/Broadcom can fix it.

You can configure the DHCP page to provide a specific nameserver to your clients, however this is not the recommended configuration, as you will lose the ability of resolving LAN hostnames if you directly use the ISP's nameserver, in addition to losing the caching capabilities of dnsmasq.

What is the deal with asus and qos? If qos is used in the rt-ac66r it turns off hard ware acceleration and now on 5300 it's totally broken? That's crazy is asus ever going to get qos right? The 5300 is touted as best for gaming on the packaging. But qos (traffic shaping) is critical for gaming..... May have to look for a different brand router if this keeps up.

bimmer,
What ports was the other xbox using? Were they both trying to use port 3075 or was it using a different ports all together?

Last edited:
QoS hasn't been a great thing in the past couple of years from my experience with some other router Mfrs. Especially Mfrs putting more automation in the code and behavior and some Mfrs are limiting the user UI to just enabling some priority sections and that's it. Nothing granular like with older generation QoS UI where we could specify priorities, ports, protocols and IP address ranges. Also theres been debate on weather QoS is needed on ISP services speeds greater than 50-100Mb on the UP. Been going on for years.

I'll re-check again on what port the 2nd xbox was reporting on BO3. Take a snap shot of the router status too. So much to so, so little time. :oops:

I made a few changes to my Asus RT-AC5300 ruuter configuration. I'm not sure if this will resolve any NAT issues or provide better stability and performance.

LAN - Switch Control: Nat Acceleration - DISABLE (from AUTO)
WAN - Nat Passthrough: SIP Passthrough - DISABLE (from ENABLED + NAT HELPER)

After doing some research online, I thought I'd give the above two UI configurations a try. Please let me know what I can expect w/ the above changes, if any. When it comes to some of these settings within the Asus RT-AC5300 UI, I'm truly a "green-horn". I'm hoping to expand my knowledge with any replies. Thanks :)

NAT acceleration is disabled by default on OEM FW. I'm leaving SIP PT enabled for now. Turn OFF QoS entirely.

I made a few changes to my Asus RT-AC5300 ruuter configuration. I'm not sure if this will resolve any NAT issues or provide better stability and performance.

After doing some research online, I thought I'd give the above two UI configurations a try. Please let me know what I can expect w/ the above changes, if any. When it comes to some of these settings within the Asus RT-AC5300 UI, I'm truly a "green-horn". I'm hoping to expand my knowledge with any replies. Thanks :)

What is the deal with asus and qos? If qos is used in the rt-ac66r it turns off hard ware acceleration

This is a technical limitation. Traditional QoS relies on iptables for traffic classification (through packet marking), and hardware acceleration bypasses iptables, therefore preventing classification. This is the same situation with any Broadcom-based router, regardless of the manufacturer.

NAT acceleration is disabled by default on OEM FW

The default is "Auto", meaning it gets enabled unless you enable an incompatible feature (like Traditional QoS).

One additional configuration change I made to the ASUS RT-AC5300.

LAN - DHCP Server - Advertise Router's IP In Addition To User-Specified DNS - NO (from YES)

All seems to be working well with the above changes. I still have OPEN NAT when checking both Xbox One gaming consoles (NETWORK' dashboard). I haven't been able to check the NAT status within the COD: BO3 MP dashboard however, Battlefield 1 MP gaming went exceptionally well without any issues. I must say that this is one of my top three favorite ruuters I've ever used / owned (D'Link DIR-890L & D'Link DIR-868L).

Stay Tuned........

Last edited:
QoS hasn't been a great thing in the past couple of years from my experience with some other router Mfrs. Especially Mfrs putting more automation in the code and behavior and some Mfrs are limiting the user UI to just enabling some priority sections and that's it. Nothing granular like with older generation QoS UI where we could specify priorities, ports, protocols and IP address ranges. Also theres been debate on weather QoS is needed on ISP services speeds greater than 50-100Mb on the UP. Been going on for years.

I'll re-check again on what port the 2nd xbox was reporting on BO3. Take a snap shot of the router status too. So much to so, so little time. :oops:

well something is well and truly up even at those speeds.
i get terrible bufferbloat if i dont cap download and upload.....even if a speedtest is the only thing running on the network.

cap the 300/300 connection to say 45/35 and wallah...bufferbloat is very low.

Any thing is possible. I have seen A+ BB with other routers. I haven't tested the 5300 yet as i'm still testing configuration of it.

One way to test BB is to connect ur PC directly to the ISP Modem and by pass any routers for comparison.

well something is well and truly up even at those speeds.
i get terrible bufferbloat if i dont cap download and upload.....even if a speedtest is the only thing running on the network.

cap the 300/300 connection to say 45/35 and wallah...bufferbloat is very low.

Does BF display any NAT status or have any networking status features?

One additional configuration change I made to the ASUS RT-AC5300.

LAN - Advertise Router's IP In Addition To User-Specified DNS - NO (from YES)

All seems to be working well with the above changes. I still have OPEN NAT when checking both Xbox One gaming consoles (NETWORK' dashboard). I haven't been able to check the NAT status within the COD: BO3 MP dashboard however, Battlefield 1 MP gaming went exceptionally well without any issues. I must say that this is one of my top three favorite ruuters I've ever used / owned (D'Link DIR-890L & D'Link DIR-868L).

Stay Tuned........

Does BF display any NAT status or have any networking status features?

BF1 does NOT display any NAT status. From everything I've been reading regarding NAT and BF1, EA directs anyone having issues to check the NAT status within the Xbox One dashboard (Settings - All Settings - Network - Current Network Status).

BTW, I'm still achieving OPEN NAT on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network (with the changes I spoke of in prior posts). :)

Will try the direct modem connection when i get a chance.
Have been testing ddwrt on me spare ac66u.

So far ive found bufferbloat to be worse than merlin without using qos.
but with qos ddwrt is more stable.
In ragards to gaming this also applies with qos applied.

Battlefield is roughly the same...but p2p games are clearly more stable on ddwrt.

Let us know the results are...

Will try the direct modem connection when i get a chance.
Have been testing ddwrt on me spare ac66u.

So far ive found bufferbloat to be worse than merlin without using qos.
but with qos ddwrt is more stable.
In ragards to gaming this also applies with qos applied.

Battlefield is roughly the same...but p2p games are clearly more stable on ddwrt.

RMerlin can you please elaborate on this? Is this the case with ALL Broadcom/ASUS routers? Is it better set to OFF? Or do you suggest another solution for QoS?

RMerlin can you please elaborate on this? Is this the case with ALL Broadcom/ASUS routers?

I can't because I don't have all the facts, just observations. So far, it seems to indicate that only ARM models are affected, but I can't be sure, can't say either which specific models are, or if all ARM routers are.

had time to connect via the modem but forgot that my isp use vlan 6 for internet.
so it didnt connect.

have to wait till the misses is out to try again.

Merlin.
I take it the AC66U and AC88U are both ARM?
Had the N56U previous and gameplay was fine...i take it thats not ARM.