What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm consistently seeing OPEN NAT on my single NAT system here. I do believe that the consistency comes from how the consoles are connected to the main router, how the main router is configured, router code and the behavior of uPnP in it's handling of the ports and additional virtual ports when more than one game console is connected. Just how uPnP is doing this, we'd need a uPnP dev/engineer to have a look at this more closely to see what or if anything could be done to have better handling, improve if any, and behavior for two or more connected game consoles under one roof and on one single NAT network. I think overall the community and Mfrg is only working a single game console thinking track. As homes grow with technology, I see more and more homes having more than just one game console/PC. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the details. BiggShooter mentioned that the uPnP port range features were not seen on his stock OEM FW until he loaded Merlin. Was curious.

I should be seeing my ASUS in the mail today. o_O
Im using john fork version but have used stock and merlins with no nat issues that i recall but it's been awhile since using stock

So you are saying that ya = yep?

Or are you saying that ya = you & yours & yes & yeah?

Sorry to be pedantic but I've never seen anyone use this term in this way before (being British;)).

Edit: From the context of what you've written it appears to mean "yeah" (or "yes")? But I've only ever seen "ya" mean "you" or "your". For example, "What do ya want?"

Last edited:
I hate to be a party pooper but getting an open Nat on two Xbox One gaming consoles on the same network is only half the battle. I was able to achieve that many times. The real issue is they don't stay that way. I was able to get them both open for a few days and then without fail one or both would change to moderate or strict.

Please keep up with it. I would be very interested to see a final solution that doesn't include two networks.

Good luck on the journey.

As I mentioned before I only have one network and have open NAT on two Xbox ones all day, everyday. However I am running the RT-AC66R router. I have played Destiny with my son multiple times with no issues with no connection issues, lag, chat, or NAT issues. I know COD can be finicky with NAT. I.E dashboard has open NAT but in game have moderate. If I had another AW copy I would test this to see if I have open NAT in game as well. I believe there is another solution than having two networks. Ive had 2 360's running with open NAT in game (cod) and in dashboard with two different routers so there is hope. Just need to tinker with it or get the right (different) router or firmware installed

Last edited:
So you are saying that ya = yep?

Or are you saying that ya = you & yours & yes & yeah?

Sorry to be pedantic but I've never seen anyone use this term in this way before (being British;)).

Edit: From the context of what you've written it appears to mean "yeah" (or "yes")? But I've only ever seen "ya" mean "you" or "your". For example, "What do ya want?"
yarp ! :cool:

I believe that most CoD games maybe the ones that are having issues or we are having issues with and maybe our main concern is to not put too much thinking into those games and there handling of NAT status. I think we should try and focus on the XBL and there core dashboard networking NAT status first for multiple consoles and see if we can improve the routers processing and handling of multiple game consoles with its NAT status and uPnP functionality first. Once we've reviewed and tested and vetted that out well, and create a stable process for gamers with multiple consoles, then we can begin to check out in game NAT status and point the game Mfrs to what works and what doesn't and maybe they will take heed and follow up with there development. I think there's probably too many variables between the xbox networking and in game networking that maybe causing problems at this point.

As I mentioned before I only have one network and have open NAT on two Xbox ones all day, everyday. However I am running the RT-AC66R router. I have played Destiny with my son multiple times with no issues with no connection issues, lag, chat, or NAT issues. I know COD can be finicky with NAT. I.E dashboard has open NAT but in game have moderate. If I had another AW copy I would test this to see if I have open NAT in game as well. I believe there is another solution than having two networks. Ive had 2 360's running with open NAT in game (cod) and in dashboard with two different routers so there is hope. Just need to tinker with it or get the right (different) router or firmware installed

As I mentioned before I only have one network and have open NAT on two Xbox ones all day, everyday. However I am running the RT-AC66R router. I have played Destiny with my son multiple times with no issues with no connection issues, lag, chat, or NAT issues. I know COD can be finicky with NAT.
Destiny is the best game ever... haha, My little guy and I play it religiously. 368 light and going higher here. Touch of Malice was a pain to get!

I was not able to get two of them to show open Nat. It didn't matter what game we we were playing. I'm referring to the Xbox dashboard, network settings. I always had one of the consoles showing Moderate or Strict and we had nothing but issues establishing a party chat.

I think that's one of the things that makes this so frustrating. Some people report no issue at all. Others darn near go crazy looking for a solution.

Ya, I agree, there are more users not reporting issues or maybe they don't know where to go or maybe they have contacted MS or XBL and of course, nobody gets much information from them.

I think for single NAT ISP users, it's all in how the main host router is configured and weather or not uPnP is enabled and how its behavior is handling multiple consoles and ports at the same time. o_O

the open/closed/strict nat1/nat2/nat3 is not sony ms thing its every as I said some games use open/closed/strict others use nat1/nat2/nat3 naming. my point was they all need to pick one name scheme

Good Luck getting MS and Sony into one NAT naming convention.
:confused:
the open/closed/strict nat1/nat2/nat3 is not sony ms thing its every as I said some games use open/closed/strict others use nat1/nat2/nat3 naming. my point was they all need to pick one name scheme

Oh i forgot on black ops 3, that it tells what port is causing the nat issue. On the xbox that is moderate or strict, when you go to the in game network settings what does it tell the problem is?

Hmm I've seen BO3 report the status however I don't remember seeing a Port # listed. BO3 gives IP address, region it detects your ISP is in, NAT status only I think. I'll look again though.

Hmm I've seen BO3 report the status however I don't remember seeing a Port # listed. BO3 gives IP address, region it detects your ISP is in, NAT status only I think. I'll look again though.

Likewise - I didn't know BO3 indicated which port was causing the NAT issue. I will have to check that out next time I notice MODERATE NAT on the BO3 Multiplayer Menu.

Yeah googled it, next time it indicates moderate NAT high light it and it should give you an error screen on what port it tried to open. I am curious if both Xbox's are trying to open same port so the first Xbox gets Open NAT while the other one does not since the port is already being used. Also check your router logs when both Xboxs are on even before loading up black ops. Go to the port forward status page to see what ports are being forwarded automatically by UPnP. I have a screen shot of my router page that I will post shortly. You will see One Xbox is using port 3074 and the other a random port the way it should be.

The xboxs are. 149 and. 150. As you can see, they are using different ports
Screenshot_2016-10-25-22-43-45.png

The xboxs are. 149 and. 150. As you can see, they are using different ports View attachment 7566
Both of my Xbox One gaming consoles use different ports as well. I check this PORT FORWARDING tab from the SYTEM LOG very often.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 4.13.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 4.13.14 PM.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
Both of my Xbox One gaming consoles use different ports as well. I visit this PORT FORWARDING tab from the SYTEM LOG very often.
Thats good please update us when you check and see why one of Xbox is reporting in game moderate or strict nat next tiem you play bops3.

I was able to find information on the internet (on more than one web site) regarding Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. It seems Treyarch might be the root of the cause for MODERATE NAT when two Xbox One gaming consoles are able to achieve OPEN NAT on the same network. With eight days remaining before Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare / MW Remastered is released, it will be interesting to see if Infinity Ward poses the same MODERATE NAT problem with COD: IW / MW Remastered as Treyarch did with COD: BO3.

Looking at BO3 last night as well. The Network section of the game reported that it was trying to open port 3075? Yes the 2nd xb1 was online as well. Both dash boards reported OPEN NAT.

Of course all this was with the new ASUS AC5300 online after spending almost two hours trying to get it online. I guess maybe the one I got could be a faulty unit or something. Any time I make a change that effects the WAN side, it takes 6 minutes for the router to come to ready and even then I have to manually select the DISCONNECTED link to get the WAN port to connect and get a WAN IP address. Ya it came loaded with most current FW.

The only thing I did was change the routers IP address, set up IP reservations, and enabled Traditional QoS and turned OFF the WiFi radios.

I'm hoping this 6 minute delay isn't seen by others. I swapped cables, power cycled the ISP modem. I've never seen this before in a router. Not really impressed. I may install Merlin this evening and see how it goes and see if it may help with the exceedingly long wait for ready.

Oh BTW, played Ghosts on XB1 last nite. Zero issues getting into games and didn't have to use private chat. Ghost shows NAT as well. 2nd Xbox was OPEN, mine was Moderate. Gaming was great! Then we switched back to BO3, wow, what a difference. I'm never buying any Trayarch game ever! :mad: Ghost is sure full of camper haters. Wow.