What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yep all it is is a port conflict and a translation error, where it's not translated to a correct external port.

I have 3 ps4 pro going at the same time, I gave them there own static IP address. They all show nat type 2 and when we all play any cod game at the same time or even different titles of cod, it shows open nat in the game menu. I guess the xbox from what I see has issues running a few xboxs at the same time.

I would like to add I dont use all the sp features that the rt3100 has, I just use the qos, thats it.
running merlin fw 382.1.

Last edited:
I have 3 ps4 pro going at the same time, I gave them there own static IP address. They all show nat type 2 and when we all play any cod game at the same time or even different titles of cod, it shows open nat in the game menu. I guess the xbox from what I see has issues running a few xboxs at the same time.

I would like to add I dont use all the sp features that the rt3100 has, I just use the qos, thats it.
running merlin fw 382.1.
Used to have issues, just a port conflict, I had the same issue on pc with cod

Used to have issues, just a port conflict, I had the same issue on pc with cod

Yeah I never had issues other then trying to figur out the QOS, but now all works well for me.

It seems that playstaion console will have type two nat regardless of the router essentially stuck on moderate nat.

I have an Xbox One and a Xbox One X. The new manual port feature allows me to have an Open NAT for both Xbox's which is great. This wouldn't have worked before since there would have been a 3074 port conflict. This specific change is to help with issues related to Xbox Live. Games are a different story. Port forwarding game ports will still be an issue for multiple Xbox consoles. UPNP can solve that but I refuse to use it out of security concerns. I strictly use port forwarding.

I have an Xbox One and a Xbox One X. The new manual port feature allows me to have an Open NAT for both Xbox's which is great. This wouldn't have worked before since there would have been a 3074 port conflict. This specific change is to help with issues related to Xbox Live. Games are a different story. Port forwarding game ports will still be an issue for multiple Xbox consoles. UPNP can solve that but I refuse to use it out of security concerns. I strictly use port forwarding.
As discussed before if your network is breached its too late, manual port forwarding is a bigger risk since the port is permanently open, also upnp has security fixes, it not that big of an issue any more.

As discussed before if your network is breached its too late, manual port forwarding is a bigger risk since the port is permanently open, also upnp has security fixes, it not that big of an issue any more.

I agree and disagree.

Since Vexira tricked me into reading the entire 35 page thread I would like to say thanks to Vexira for the link to the website for testing NAT. That's very cool website just wish it didn't require java. Also I would like to thank RMerlin for continued valuable work on asuswrt-merlin and his input into help solving and clarifying UPnP issues.

I also wanted to add this reddit link that I found a while back to that explains the different types of Xbox NAT's you may encounter and some other valuable information which was posted by an Xbox engineer. Good information from someone that actually works for Microsoft (or did work for). I didn't notice this link anywhere in this valuable topic.

[PSA] Networking Info: Part 2 - NAT, DNS, UPnP... WTF?

I do have a PS4 as well and have never seen anyone with a NAT type 1. I have a type 2 NAT and can't get anything better. But I haven't run into any issues with this type of NAT.

Last edited:
Sony NAT types naming conventions differ from MS naming conventions. I've been told that NAT type2 is basically OPEN NAT. Type 1 is just that, the console right behind the ISP modem and not a router. NAT type 2 is good for Sony and there gamers. So don't confuse the two.

uPnP poses not problem with security and isn't a major issue any more. Was fixed a long time ago.

Regardless of Port Forwarding or uPnP, what it comes down to is the Game Mfrs mis handling of Port and NAT status on newer generation routers with Port Address Restricted Or Symmetric NAT kinds when two or more same game consoles are online at the same time. What seems to work for them is older generation router or current routers that support FULL CONE NAT. These routers work well, however FULL CONE NAT not being as secure as Port Address Restricted or Symmetric NAT, which seems to break the games handling of ports and this kind of NAT when two or more same game consoles are online, the Game Mfr needs to step up and correct there code since PAR and Symmetric NAT have been prevalent now for a few years.

However in the advent that IPv6 becomes the norm, then it's been said that all of this will probably go away. I presume game Mfrs will also be on board as well when this happens. MS seems to be working to help there side of the problem and have, however the problem still exists IN the game which now the ball is in the game Mfrs court. Sony seems to be the last Mfr and always the slowest to do anything as well. Gamers and Sony users along with MS gamers need to post in there forums and support channels and make noise to get game Mfr to start to take notice and do anything. We've proven all points from our side of the fence, not it's there turn:

All of this is explained in detail here:
http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

As far as I'm concerned, this is a Game Mfr issue now!

i wonder if this issue has been fixed in the stock firmware yet?
Though i doubt it since there no option in stock firmware to change the nat from symmetric to full cone.

Last edited: