Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by BiggShooter, Oct 21, 2016.

1. e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN Senior Member

Ok, was just wondering if the Miniupnp implementation/IPTable change was on your fork as it is for Merlin is all. I presumed there would be differences seen on OEM and other 3rd party FW. I tested a RT-3100 with Merlin and OEM and this OPEN NAT issue isn't a problem on Merlin with two consoles running same game. It is on OEM FW.

2. jrmwvu04

jrmwvu04 Senior Member

Isn’t some version of that why, many years ago (Windows XP days), conventional wisdom was that upnp was a security risk? I for sure remember tech websites in the early 00s suggesting upnp was dangerous.

3. e38BimmerFN

Most of that code was corrected in recent versions of uPnP core. Ive been using uPnp for a while now. No issues aside this multiple same game console issue seen in various Mfr routers and FW.

Vexira likes this.
  4. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

i personally wouldn't mind an option to choose between symmetric and full cone to see the difference, if only I could get it working. The only way to stop the problem is for game devs to have dedicated servers and get rid of the p2p system they use or give the games the ability to chose a different port if the first port doesn't work, but I guess they leave that up to router manufacturers to do, then again I don't understand why, manufactures of routers don't, by default enable some port redirection capabilities, like merlins fix, to solve the issue.

5. e38BimmerFN

I presume that most router mfrs design and decisions are based on the average home users. Users was quick and easy install and setup. Also there is no need for two different NAT kinds on routers in that regard. Putting something in that may not be used frequently may not be beneficial. The main issue is that if the console and game MFrs can make it work with any kind of NAT, then this would negate having different NAT kinds on routers as the console, upnp and port functions, we hope, will and should work with any kind of NAT that router Mfrs put in there HW.

As time goes on, I presume more and more router Mfrs will move away from Full cone to Symmetric as it's more secure than Full Cone and Port Address Restricted.

I'm very curious to see what this new MS port feature does with two or more consoles running same game.

6. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

Or once IPv6 is the default NAT will die at long last.

7. e38BimmerFN

Yes, that too. Once all ISPs support IPv6 natively with there customers. :oops:

8. Vexira

so if nat is gone in ipv6 how will games that use p2p networking handle eg cod, id assume they would still work aslong as their port is open?, i assume thats why ms is pushing for ipv6 on xbox since theres a medsage avout swtiching to ipv6 in the network test section, also the mention of a 4 to 6 tunnel.

9. e38BimmerFN

Not sure if Port usage is the same with IPv6...

Vexira likes this.
  10. Vexira

Good news Ip6 is the solution to nat issues.

11. jrmwvu04

jrmwvu04 Senior Member

Bad news is none of us will live to see it

12. Vexira

I doubt it

13. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Err, yes. Tell us something we didn't already know. :confused:

Have you done some sort of test that you're not telling us about?

14. Vexira

sort of dad :p

15. Vexira

in all serousness I was have a conversation with some one who has ipv6, he was telling me about getting open nat across 2 Xboxes, not all I need is to wait for my isp to seceded to switch or change isps to one that has it so I can verify it works, and he wasn't just confused, also I was trying to point it out to those who don't know.

16. e38BimmerFN

Well it will be achievable when ALL ISPs support native IPv6. Some of us don't have that luxury yet. :oops:

17. e38BimmerFN

two consoles and two same games?

18. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

With IPv6, every device on your network gets its own public Internet IP address. So yes, you'd be able to even have hundreds of consoles, and all would get complete open access provided everyone involved has IPv6.

In fact, there isn't even any NAT there, with IPv6, it's all pure, direct routing.

Vexira and Jack Yaz like this.
  19. e38BimmerFN

That will be nice when it arrives to my house. ;)

20. Vexira

so would upnp still be needed, even on ipv 6?