What's new

ups recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piker

Occasional Visitor
I have AC68U using a 3g modem for my internet connection and am looking for an unobtrusive(fairly quiet) UPS to keep me connected for short periods of an hour or so. Anyone have any recommendations?

CyberPower is my choice for best performance and lowest price.

Thanks L&LD. What size/type do you use and is it quiet running?
#believe it or not, 5 minutes after I posted this question my power went out after a lightning storm and it is estimated to be for 6 hours!

I prefer their PFC series (even for LAN equipment like routers and switches).

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/pfc-sinewave

I have used the CP850PFCLCD, CP1000PFCLCD, CP1350PFCLCD and the CP1500PFCLCD models in many, many network (and other) installations and have never been let down.

I just recently replaced an 8 (?) year old CP1350PFCLCD's batteries ($40) and it is back in service with more run time than when I originally bought it. :)

There are better spec'd and priced UPS's. But this long term reliability is worth the slight increase in cost for a device that could put in a decade's worth of service or more (if it doesn't sacrifice itself to a huge voltage spike or current surge, of course).

CyberPower is my choice for best performance and lowest price.

Cyberpower is good - I have two UPS's at the moment, one is a Cyberpower, the other is an APC - both are quiet and unobtrusive...

I currently have two Tripp Lite ECO650 LCD. The LCD display provides a lot of useful information, but what sealed the deal for me is that from the menu you can mute the power out alarm.

Wife made me get rid of previous UPS b ecause the power always seemed to go out in the middle of the night and the UPS alarm would wake her up.

I currently have two Tripp Lite ECO650 LCD. The LCD display provides a lot of useful information, but what sealed the deal for me is that from the menu you can mute the power out alarm.

Wife made me get rid of previous UPS b ecause the power always seemed to go out in the middle of the night and the UPS alarm would wake her up.

APC and Cyberpower - some models do have the option to disable the audio alarm (mine do...)

Anyone have any recommendations?

Aside from brand, you have to decide the autonomy you wish to have. A 50-75$ Cyberpower might give you 2+ hours, but if you need more you will have to spend more as well. This one is really up to you.

I've had good luck with the APC products. I have a Back-UPS Pro 1000 for the computer and router upstairs and after a brown out killed the power supply on my ONT I picked up a APC 675VA 360 Watt unit from Sam's Club for $50 for the ONT. The Back-UPS Pro does allow me to disable the alarm 24/7 or I can set certain hours of the day to disable it I.E. when the wife is sleeping :)

APC BackUPS. As long as you can connect it to router via apcupsd:)

b17fd231006e.png

With only the router on the display on my Back-UPS Pro 1000 tells me that its using 20 watts and has a run time of 193 minutes.

Thanks for everyone replies here. I am deep into research now and getting a bit confused. Is pure-sine wave necessary for the router only (ac68u)? Anyone here used the Cyberpower BRICs series? Does it have an audible alarm that can be turned off? I've realised that this IS important, because although I can sleep through an earthquake my wife can't!

I was using APCs, but have been replacing them with Tripp-Lite Smart 1300LCDT or 1500LCDTs because they work with my backup generator. What I mean is that when the backup generator is running, the APCs stay on battery and the Tripp-Lites go back to line mode.

APC also has models that do this, but they're more expensive.

Thanks for everyone replies here. I am deep into research now and getting a bit confused. Is pure-sine wave necessary for the router only (ac68u)?

Is pure sine wave necessary for routers? No. But neither is it (actually) delivered.

But those are the models I use for 'everything'. Because I'd rather have them be interchangeable than not. ;)

Good point about sleeping through an earthquake. I've done that myself once too. :)

I was using APCs, but have been replacing them with Tripp-Lite Smart 1300LCDT or 1500LCDTs because they work with my backup generator. What I mean is that when the backup generator is running, the APCs stay on battery and the Tripp-Lites go back to line mode.

APC also has models that do this, but they're more expensive.

Is that a SW/network hook for the Tripp Lite/Generator interaction?

The Smart 1300LCDT might have to go on my shopping list in any event - I like the Hot Swap battery feature in that device (keeping a couple of charged spares handy) - hmmm...

eaton and apc is good but I don't know whether they would last an hour. If you need an hour I guess you might have to have atleast one external battery pack which will be close onto 60 minutes.

Having any brand of UPS is going to be useful - just went thru a series of winter storms out here in San Diego, and power has been all over the place - have the Cable Modem, Router, a switch, AP, and my NAS on the UPS (I have an APC NS1080, which isn't a very big UPS), but it's been on a 20 percent duty cycle over the past couple of days, and no down time...

No outright outages on the mains, but enough "flickering lights" that cause the satellite TV to reboot along with desktop machines and whatnot...

Cyberpower is good - I have two UPS's at the moment, one is a Cyberpower, the other is an APC - both are quiet and unobtrusive...

I decommissioned the Cyberpower device last month - it was an older device, and batteries wear out, and my needs changed, so it was a simple decision to pull it out of the loop - it was an excellent device - Cyberpower does good gear...

I have been using CyberPower for more than two years. It is good and useful. I think CyberPower would be the best option.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!