What's new

WAN port is unresponsive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markfree

Regular Contributor
Recently my RT-AX86U router failed to connect to the Internet.
My setup has an ISP cable modem connected in bridge mode to the Asus router.
After some possible lightning in the area, it seems that the WAN and 2.5G ports have completely stopped working.
The device boots up and I'm able to connect to its WiFi or switch ports, but the WAN is unresponsive.

Actually, the WAN port stopped working a few months ago. At that time, I switched the WAN to the 2.5G port.
Now the 2.5G port has stopped working as well.

I opened the router to check the board and found 2 resistors that may have burned out. 😭

20240212_RT-AX86U_WAN_Resistor.jpg20240212_RT-AX86U_25G_Resistor.jpg

Before the problem, both the router and the ISP modem were connected to a UPS, but it seems that only the router was affected by possible power surges.
Also, I've always used those little fans to help cool the unit, and it was running just fine.

Unfortunately, this is similar to an old problem with an older router.
So I'm not sure how this happened and why it only affected the WAN ports.

Any thoughts on this matter? Has anyone experienced such issue?

ISP modems/gateways have better surge protection and usually after lightning strike the WAN port of the router goes bad first.

That's more than just a couple of resistors. Looks like it's taken at least a couple of semiconductors with it. If you could identify those components and source replacements, and were a dab-hand at soldering, and there's no further damage to components and tracks (or know someone who's all that) then maybe you have a chance.
Personally, I think it would make a good book-end/doorstop.

Recently my RT-AX86U router failed to connect to the Internet.
My setup has an ISP cable modem connected in bridge mode to the Asus router.
After some possible lightning in the area, it seems that the WAN and 2.5G ports have completely stopped working.
The device boots up and I'm able to connect to its WiFi or switch ports, but the WAN is unresponsive.

Actually, the WAN port stopped working a few months ago. At that time, I switched the WAN to the 2.5G port.
Now the 2.5G port has stopped working as well.

I opened the router to check the board and found 2 resistors that may have burned out. 😭

View attachment 56553View attachment 56554

Before the problem, both the router and the ISP modem were connected to a UPS, but it seems that only the router was affected by possible power surges.
Also, I've always used those little fans to help cool the unit, and it was running just fine.

Unfortunately, this is similar to an old problem with an older router.
So I'm not sure how this happened and why it only affected the WAN ports.

Any thoughts on this matter? Has anyone experienced such issue?

You do seem to be blowing up WAN circuits. I would make sure Earth grounds are in place and tight... cable shield at demarc, wall outlets used by modem and router, and Earth and neutral connections at the building power panel.

OE

ISP modems/gateways have better surge protection and usually after lightning strike the WAN port of the router goes bad first.
I guess so.
I think that, for any surge to reach the WAN port, it would have to go through the UPS, which should have protections, the modem, and finally the router.
I find this odd because the WAN port is connected to the modem and it did not suffer any loss.

You do seem to be blowing up WAN circuits. I would make sure Earth grounds are in place and tight... cable shield at demarc, wall outlets used by modem and router, and Earth and neutral connections at the building power panel.
I'll check that with the owner.

Thanks guys.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!