What's new

USB Drive connect issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
I have a Seagate Freeagent 1.5 TB USB2 drive. It has been connected quite successfully to the ASUS router (both Merlin and stock firmware). I got tired of seeing 20+ share points (all my directories directly off of root), so I took the drive and attached it directly to my PC, Created a top level directory (freeagent) and then moved all the other folders and files into that directory. Then I reconnected that same drive to the same USB port on the ASUS AC68U. It does not connect - does not show up in either the network locations nor on the admin gui. I have tried removing and reconnecting several times, to no avail.

FWIW, the other USB2 drive which is untouched throughout this process is still visible.

Tried that - still doesn't see drive.

Possibly interrelated - there were some file beginning with "." (hidden files I suppose) that seemed to be metadata generated about the folder structure. I deleted those files - which should make Asus just think this is a USB drive it never saw before.

ok - what didn't work:
* reconnecting usb drive (pull usb cable - reinsert)
* restart ac68u

What did work:
Power off usb drive while connected. Power back on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!