What's new

USB to 2.5Gbe adapter on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Vinmar that is good to know.

But, for completeness, and while you're still around these forums, what TV model (and firmware), and what specific adaptor are you using that works so well for you?
For me I have Sony A80J and am using a Cable Matters # 202013 adapter in USB port 3, it is a 3.1 port the others are 2.0
He is probably talking about the cable matters dongle that works on "Some" LG and Sony tvs.
Although a word of warning. I have one of these dongles and it doesn't work with my LG tv.
The point I was making is that the ethernet to USB solution is being used elsewhere but it's a hit and miss for sure. Still a good one to remember if you need more speed or reliability for some reason. Example is an Intel NUC I use that has onboard Gig E if I needed more speed I'm sure I could use a dongle on the USB. I'm sure other routers, TV's, etc. will work if you find the right combo but many more, the majority I'd guess, won't work at all.

For me I have Sony A80J and am using a Cable Matters # 202013 adapter in USB port 3, it is a 3.1 port the others are 2.0

The point I was making is that the ethernet to USB solution is being used elsewhere but it's a hit and miss for sure. Still a good one to remember if you need more speed or reliability for some reason. Example is an Intel NUC I use that has onboard Gig E if I needed more speed I'm sure I could use a dongle on the USB. I'm sure other routers, TV's, etc. will work if you find the right combo but many more, the majority I'd guess, won't work at all.
Absolutely
Was disappointed when my dingle didn't work as needed it to get 60fps blue rays to work as they topped out over 100mbps.

Absolutely
Was disappointed when my dingle didn't work as needed it to get 60fps blue rays to work as they topped out over 100mbps.
Cable matters makes 2 versions one is for a Game Console and will not work. Also mine didn't appear to work at first the steps I had to take were 1: Remove Cable if plugged in And turn off WiFi if it's on. 2: Restart TV from settings menu (Don't wipe it just restart / reboot) 3: Plug cable into adapter then plug adapter into USB port and it finally came up after a minute or so. The only issue I have had is if you restart TV from the settings menu you have to unplug then plug back in the dongle. For some reason it isn't picked up on a system reboot. I would rarely do that anyway so no big deal for me.

Can someone confirm which RMerlin FW is being used in order to unlock this USB to 2.5gbe adapter feature? I have an AX86U that is ready willing and able for this upgrade. :)

@Caley have you read the whole thread? The info is there for you. :)

@Caley have you read the whole thread? The info is there for you. :)

@L&LD Yes, I have, thrice in fact just to make sure I am not missing anything obvious... but I can't seem to see where it's stated which specific RMerlin FW is being used for this to work. o_O

Did you click the link? Do you see the images? The firmware is shown therein. RMerlin v386.3_2. :)

You too will learn to be a super sleuth! The information is out there. :D

No but almost... There is no 2.5gb WAN port on the rt-ax88u which is a shortcoming if you have over 1 gig internet. So to get past that I am using a Motorola MB8611 cable modem plugged into a Sabrent NT-SS5G Ethernet to USB adapter and instead of the rj45 WAN port I'm using the USB port next to it on the back of the router for the WAN. I set the primary WAN port to USB under the Dual Wan tab and it automatically showed up as a modem port when I plugged it in, thinks it's an LTE Modem or Phone. I can now get over 1 gig internet speeds. My PC has an ac 9560 wireless adapter on board and connects at 1.7 gig so I can run speed test from there and get over 1.2 gig download speeds, I have 1.2 Gig service from Xfinity. The WAN port is no longer used unless I wanted to set it up for failover I guess. I just plugged things in to try it and it worked, did nothing special. It's been stable I've had no issues or slow downs I've noticed and now have a full speed internet connection.
I tried this with a Plugable 2.5 GB Adapter with the 8156B chipset on the RT-AX86U with the MB8611 and, while all the hardware (and the ASUS app) showed a 2.5 GB connection, the actual speed was cut in half from about 950 to around 400 or so. I read somewhere that the issue may be the processor in the 86U.

But now I see that it seems that the 88U and the 86U both have the same processor (quad-core 1.8GHz Broadcom BCM4908). So, maybe I need to try the Sabrent SS5G with its different chipset to see if that will work. Amazon will love me buying stuff and sending it back!

I tried this with a Plugable 2.5 GB Adapter with the 8156B chipset on the RT-AX86U with the MB8611 and, while all the hardware (and the ASUS app) showed a 2.5 GB connection, the actual speed was cut in half from about 950 to around 400 or so. I read somewhere that the issue may be the processor in the 86U.

But now I see that it seems that the 88U and the 86U both have the same processor (quad-core 1.8GHz Broadcom BCM4908). So, maybe I need to try the Sabrent SS5G with its different chipset to see if that will work. Amazon will love me buying stuff and sending it back!

If it has a USB C on it try flipping it over before sending it back.​

“Plugable 2.5 GB Adapter with the 8156B”

That’s the one I was using to get just over 1gb on my 86U from my Xfinity internet. Capture posted a few pages ago.

I did try flipping and it made no difference. jsmiddleton4, let's see how the Asustor one works for you.

PS I just noticed this one:
Asus USB-C2500

Last edited:
The USB-C2500 works fine. It is Realtek based.

I can’t explain why I got over 1gbs with the same adapter you used but yours is disappointing. The 5gb Sabrent is a totally different chipset but also gets close to the “too expensive to be worth it” point.

The Sabrent 2.5gb is Realtek based.

I’m testing the Asustor one because it is full USB 3.2/Gen 2. The USB 3 port on the 86U isn’t but its worth a shot to play around.

I do not imagine that I can do any better than I’ve already tested using the Plugable one. Which again is why I’m baffled.

I do remember when playing around with swapping adapters I did full power off for modem and router. Not sure if you tried that.

Also if I didn’t have any 2.5gb clients for my in home network I’d not have messed with any of this. One WAN port at 2.5gb woulda been fine.

The USB-C2500 works fine. It is Realtek based.

I can’t explain why I got over 1gbs with the same adapter you used but yours is disappointing. The 5gb Sabrent is a totally different chipset but also gets close to the “too expensive to be worth it” point.

The Sabrent 2.5gb is Realtek based.

I’m testing the Asustor one because it is full USB 3.2/Gen 2. The USB 3 port on the 86U isn’t but its worth a shot to play around.

I do not imagine that I can do any better than I’ve already tested using the Plugable one. Which again is why I’m baffled.

I do remember when playing around with swapping adapters I did full power off for modem and router. Not sure if you tried that.

Also if I didn’t have any 2.5gb clients for my in home network I’d not have messed with any of this. One WAN port at 2.5gb woulda been fine.
Thanks for the information. I sent back the Plugable (maybe too soon) and will try the USB-C2500. I'm going to keep trying!

Just now, Plugable USB adapter, everyone hammering the web, half of family watching college football via Fubo.tv. Work at home computers still connected. Got scolding a bit last time I pulled them off line. Work IT department sent out an email asking about the VPN disconnects….

Capture.JPG

This morning I can't get anything faster than 480mbs. I have of course no idea why. Something in the router set the USB port to 2.0? I've checked and rechecked. Flipped and flopped. Booted, etc., power off. One of the common complaints about the Realtek chipset, which I'm using in the Pluggable adapter, is this very thing. Suddenly throughput goes in the toilet. Big complaint for the 8156 version which is why there's a "B" version.

Heat related?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!