What's new

USB to 2.5Gbe adapter on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This morning I can't get anything faster than 480mbs. I have of course no idea why. Something in the router set the USB port to 2.0? I've checked and rechecked. Flipped and flopped. Booted, etc., power off. One of the common complaints about the Realtek chipset, which I'm using in the Pluggable adapter, is this very thing. Suddenly throughput goes in the toilet. Big complaint for the 8156 version which is why there's a "B" version.

Heat related?
I thought there was a driver update that fixed that? Might be a bit difficult to fix on the XT8.

Question is, if you can find a B version, will it work? I've been looking for one that is a B version but difficult to confirm they are B versions.

I thought there was a driver update that fixed that? Might be a bit difficult to fix on the XT8.

Question is, if you can find a B version, will it work? I've been looking for one that is a B version but difficult to confirm they are B versions.
I'm using the B version. Can't do drivers and the router. Have to be complied into the firmware.

Some switch in the code is set differently be it the adapter's internal workings or in the router.

The slower speeds are seen when the adapter is in USB 2.0 mode.

"B version but difficult to confirm they are B versions."

Several on Amazon including the Plugable I'm using and discussed earlier. The Asus USB-2500 is "B" version. The more expensive Asustor 3.2 Gen 2 is "B" version.

This feels like the "USB" part of the chipset in the adapter. It is stuck on USB 2. Of course I have no idea or the expertise to even check such a thing. That's what it feels like though. Suddenly I'm at USB 2.

Even if I could figure it out and get things back to USB 3 speeds its still a killer. Can't have something that isn't consistent. Which again is the common complaint about these Realtek adapters. Lots of user reviews on Amazon with this complaint.

If the only option to have stable faster than 1gb throughput is to go to something that is Aquantia AQC111U chipset based, that makes this whole thing a horse of a different color.

Add a 2.5gb port for less than 30 bucks is a very different proposition than having to spend 70 bucks.

Here's additional information on the USB aspect of these adapters. Noting that the Asustor IS Gen 2....USB 3.2......

IF it was the router, its USB is not Gen 2 USB 3.2, then I'd not ever had speeds greater than 1gb. I did. It did perform as desired for awhile.

All I can do at this juncture is test the Asustor. It'll be here now says Tuesday.

Hooked Plugable adapter to a USB-C port on my laptop. Still can’t get it past 480mbs. Its going back to Amazon.
I take it you tried the latest drivers vs Windows default drivers?

"I take it you tried the latest drivers"

Yes when plugging it into my PC's USB-C port.

I popped open the box in the pile-o-Amazon returns and plugged in the Sabrent 5g adapter. Here's the result. This is with all clients still connected. That is the max for my ISP.

Makes the value=cost+performance equation a little more difficult to resolve. 70 bucks for .3gbs?

I'm not saying its the Realtek 8156B chipset in general. Now with the Plugable one for me throttling back to USB 2 speeds and with another forum user with the same adapter having never achieved anything even near 1gbs, am confident not recommending the Plugable adapter.

What we really need is routers to have TWO 2.5gb ports by design, one WAN, one LAN.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, two 2.5 GB ports by design, and I hope this is in the next generation of routers. So, the Sabrent SS5G does the job better than the ones with the Realtek 8156B chipset? Is that the bottom line here?

“Bottom line”

Not yet. Have to test the ASUSTOR. The Asus 2500-c worked too. Not ready to generalize about all 8156b chip based adapters.

I will say if the adapter doesn’t work, flip the connector, still not working at high speed, its the adapter. We tend to think we’re not doing something right.

Also someone who knows what they’re doing has yet to share if the code for the USB modem can be tweaked to make sure it stays at USB 3.0. I’m not sure if the option for USB mode in settings addresses the USB modem logic.

Last edited:
“I hope this is in the next generation of routers”

I can’t remember which new one I read the review on but it ONLY has 2 Ethernet ports. One 2.5gb WAN, one 2.5gb LAN. End users can get a 2.5gb switch if needed. Design is consistent with everything focused on wireless.

I can confirm that my AX88U is working with the 2.5g usb dongle. WAN is online.. There is a lot of spamming in the logfiles with the below.

Sep 28 13:47:13 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-1:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 13:47:13 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-1:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 13:47:13 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-1:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink

While I can't play beyond plug it in and test, can't till later this evening, it looks to me like the Asustor doesn't have the same very fast throughput as the Sabrent 5G. Was maxing out my 1.2-3gbs ISP connection with Sabrent adapter. This is the Asustor. Its not USB 2 speeds at least.

The completely unscientific "how snappy is it" test they both seem to be exactly the same.

Capture.JPG

The Cable Matters is one of them I couldn't confirm if it was the "B" version of the Realtek chipset. Glad its working for you.

Asustor adapter plugged in for awhile. Its staying around 480 again, less than 500. System Log says its 2500.

In about 45 minutes will go back to the Sabrent 5G adapter.

Sep 28 17:06:39 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 17:06:39 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 17:06:40 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 17:06:40 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 17:06:40 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 17:06:40 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 17:06:41 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 17:06:41 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 17:06:41 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Sep 28 17:06:41 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: 2500 mbit/s downlink 2500 mbit/s uplink
Sep 28 17:06:42 kernel: cdc_ncm 2-2:2.0 usb0: network connection: connected
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!