What's new

UBUNTU 23.10 connection 5Ghz rejected by RT-AX86s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Olndo Pindaro

Regular Contributor
I am installing my new homelab server, and I installed ubuntu 23.10, and I have this odd beaviuor:
  1. Ubuntu views both 2,5 and 5ghz networs.
  2. with 2.5gz connetcs well.
  3. with 5ghz after a while pop up with a new pass request in an endeles cycle. The pass of the 2 nets are the same.
the setted the accepted protocol the same for both net wpa/wpa-2 personal for both.
Any suggestion? how to debug?
thanks
Olindo

Have you tried using Ubuntu 23.04.3 the latest LTS - that runs perfectly here, but upgrading to 23.10 creates a bit of a hot mess here. I can get 23.10 working, but it's much more work!

The LTS versions are "Long Term Support", they're the versions that are considered stable and should be kept stable and supported. LTS is good for situations where you need things to run reliably. You've then the more recent builds that may not be considered stable, and the nightly builds; you might want to use these for testing and developing for the future.
The RK3588 TV streaming box I have setup uses 23.04, as it's there for all the family. I also uses X11 rather than Wayland, as the latter does not seem stable on any RK3588 image I've tried!

I had problems with the 23.10 when testing, specifically with wifi authentication. 23.04.3 LTS - no problems.
LTS = Long Term Support. You can expect with an LTS release that any creases would be/get ironed out.

explain better please. thanks
Have you tried unplug device and router for 10 minutes? Old trick that sometimes helps in a placebo kind of way.

While you're at it, ditch Ubuntu /proper/ and try its "fixed" version: Linux Mint
In what way is Mint fixed? It still draws updates from Ubuntu repositories.

I need OpenZFS on root an wayland, mint supports them?
I'm sorry to say I don't know the answer to that.
In what way is Mint fixed? It still draws updates from Ubuntu repositories.
Yeah, but they don't do things all the same way as Canonical does with the system. In particular, though it /can/ be enabled, Mint eschews the use of the atrocious "snap" packages Canonical came up with.

I am installing my new homelab server, and I installed ubuntu 23.10, and I have this odd beaviuor:
  1. Ubuntu views both 2,5 and 5ghz networs.
  2. with 2.5gz connetcs well.
  3. with 5ghz after a while pop up with a new pass request in an endeles cycle. The pass of the 2 nets are the same.
the setted the accepted protocol the same for both net wpa/wpa-2 personal for both.

What WiFi adapter?

I would suggest doing WPA2, as WPA is not supported by 11n/11ac...

23.04 is not an LTS release
You're right, I'm running 22.04.3 LTS. I believe @Crimliar made a typo and without checking I followed. But with anything so stable it's easy to forget version numbers.

Yup 22.04.3 is the current LTS - my bad! I have 22.04.3 and 23.04 running on different setups (I'm back to 2 SBCs!).