What's new

Use DLink Dir-655 as a repeater for RT-AC66U connected via powerline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roscolo

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC66U as my main router. I would like to use my old DLink Dir-655 as a secondary access point for my entertainment system that is nowhere near my router using the method described here:

http://www.technoleros.com/turn-a-d-link-dir-655-router-into-a-secondary-access-point/

As stated in the instructions at the link, the Dir-655 must be connected to the RT-AC66U LAN port.

Question: As it is not feasible to run a LAN cable to the spot where the Dir-655 will be located, can one make the connection via powerline network adapter instead?

I already have four TPL-303E adapters on my network.

Thanks

yes, one can connect an ACCESS POINT to the router's LAN port via power line HomePlug et al, or MoCA (IP over existing TV coax).

An access point is not a "repeater".

Use home plug and run it lan to lan for same network or lan to wan for separate network. Can't explain it easier than that. LAN to WAN is my setup with TP-Link 6010kit and it runs beautifully. I have a RT-N66W LAN to a Belkin F9K1007 WAN. Good luck.

Last edited:
yes, one can connect an ACCESS POINT to the router's LAN port via power line HomePlug et al, or MoCA (IP over existing TV coax).

An access point is not a "repeater".

Yes. I caught that, too. But apparently one can only edit content in a forum post, not the thread title. Definitely meant access point, as I stated in my post.

Use home plug and run it lan to lan for same network or lan to wan for separate network. can't explain it easier than that. LAN to WAN is my setup with TP-Link 6010kit and it runs beautifully. I have a RT-N66W LAN to a Belkin F9K1007 WAN. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go over the weekend. Probably six one way, half a dozen the other as I'll need to buy another homeplug adapter anyway to connect the router, so I may as well buy a TPL-4052E and just use the extra ports and skip the router / access point idea:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQN3R80/?tag=snbforums-20

Or the TPL-305E with 3 ports can be had for only $20.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go over the weekend. Probably six one way, half a dozen the other as I'll need to buy another homeplug adapter anyway to connect the router, so I may as well buy a TPL-4052E and just use the extra ports and skip the router / access point idea:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQN3R80/?tag=snbforums-20

Or the TPL-305E with 3 ports can be had for only $20.

At this stage if you can spend the extra money I would go with an AV2 home plug. I just purchased the TP-Link 6010kit and it has boosted my performance over the 4010kit which is just AV.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!