What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OpenVPN Keys and Certificates restore problem

I just discovered the excellent NVRAM Save/Restore Utility being discussed here and tried it for the first time today when updating my RT-AC68P router firmware. It worked beautifully with one exception: the OpenVPN server keys and certificated were corrupted. My process was:

Starting Point: RT-AC68P operating on Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68_4
Step 1: Save router configuration file, copy and paste OpenVPN server keys into a text file, and take multiple screenshots of all important router GUI configuration pages.
Step 2: Save router settings using NVRAM Save/Restore Utility R26.2
Step 3: Restore router to Factory default via Admin GUI button
Step 4: Update firmware to Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3
Step 5: Restore router to Factory default via Admin GUI button
Step 6: Restore router settings using NVRAM Save/Restore Utility R26.2 (clean restore mode)
End Point: RT-AC68P operating on Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3

All seemed to be working well after the firmware update except the OpenVPN server. Upon investigation, I noticed that the OpenVPN Keys and Certificates were not the same as those I had saved into the text file in Step 1 above. Once I copied the Keys and Certificates from the text file back into the router GUI page and saved them, the VPN server worked again.

I don't think I have any remaining issues with the new configuration as far as I know, but thought I'd post the information above as a heads-up to others and the developer in case it's not known about already.

Btw, have there been any thoughts about including a version of the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility in the Asuswrt-Merlin firmare so that it is accessible via the GUI and saves/reads NVRAM settings files to/from the client PC?

Thanks for the very handy utility!

- PJM

> thoughts about including a version of the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility in the Asuswrt-Merlin firmare

If not within Asuswrt-Merlin, then perhaps an entware package? I don't think the initial packaging would be that difficult. Keeping things ticking over after that should be straightforward. However entware is for a much wider audience, so perhaps not appropriate there either.

Just signed up to the forum to express my sincere thanks for this tool. I hadn't done a reset in a good while simply because of the manual entry pain. This tool worked flawlessly, and the instructions were very straightforward. Very well done!

Just signed up to the forum to express my sincere thanks for this tool. I hadn't done a reset in a good while simply because of the manual entry pain. This tool worked flawlessly, and the instructions were very straightforward. Very well done!

Agreed 100x100%. I had some kind of corruption issue going on a few weeks ago and was concerned that a binary config save/restore would retain the corruption. This worked perfectly.

Just wondering if there's an update coming to make this more compatible with either 380.69 or 384.3... rather than having to do the copy/paste of the openvpn keys/certs and potentially muck that up... and there could be other settings that would also get missed given the delta between supported (by the utility) and current versions of the router firmware.

Thanks,
-ech

Just wondering if there's an update coming to make this more compatible with either 380.69 or 384.3... rather than having to do the copy/paste of the openvpn keys/certs and potentially muck that up... and there could be other settings that would also get missed given the delta between supported (by the utility) and current versions of the router firmware.

Thanks,
-ech

OpenVPN key/certs are stored in /jffs/openvpn/ . You can make a backup of that directory, then copy files back. You can use WinSCP for this.

Hi everyone.

is this version in sync with 384.xx?

I would like to know this as well. Now that the 87U that I have is supported for the NG an update would be possible for me, but I just feel like I have so so many settings and doing it manually would be a royal pain, so @john9527, is there any plans to support NG for this utility, or does it allready support it? Thanks.

I would like to know this as well. Now that the 87U that I have is supported for the NG an update would be possible for me, but I just feel like I have so so many settings and doing it manually would be a royal pain, so @john9527, is there any plans to support NG for this utility, or does it allready support it? Thanks.
If you are upgrading from the 380 code base you are asking for trouble using any form of stored settings. Most people use screen shots of their settings that are important.

If you are upgrading from the 380 code base you are asking for trouble using any form of stored settings. Most people use screen shots of their settings that are important.
OK, for first time I can input my settings. But supposing that I am on NG with all settings. How can I back-up them in case of reset is need it? In order to avoid enter them for the 2nd time from screen shots.

Thanks!

OK, for first time I can input my settings. But supposing that I am on NG with all settings. How can I back-up them in case of reset is need it? In order to avoid enter them for the 2nd time from screen shots.

Thanks!
After you update you can continue the use of nvram-save. You just have to realise that somethings are not going to be saved. That being said so far I have no problems using it. The new features in 384.4 of course will not be saved like lets encrypt.

OK. Thank you for the information. I will wait to update the firmware until there's definite news of if a migration from 380 to NG is possible.

If it is stated that migration is possible at a later time, it is worth the wait at any cost, but if it's stated that migration will never be possible I guess I'm just gonna have to do it manually.

Also, once I have migrated to NG I gather from your previous post that the utility is currently not useful, which means that "from now on" the manual path would be the only way forward, which is very sad in my opinion.

OK. Thank you for the information. I will wait to update the firmware until there's definite news of if a migration from 380 to NG is possible.

If it is stated that migration is possible at a later time, it is worth the wait at any cost, but if it's stated that migration will never be possible I guess I'm just gonna have to do it manually.

Also, once I have migrated to NG I gather from your previous post that the utility is currently not useful, which means that "from now on" the manual path would be the only way forward, which is very sad in my opinion.
The update to 384.4 from 380.x will always be manual. The script was designed to be used with 380.68 and lower. The webui layout in certain areas is completely different if you want a trouble free update take screen shots and sit down and reload your settings.

The update to 384.4 from 380.x will always be manual. The script was designed to be used with 380.68 and lower. The webui layout in certain areas is completely different if you want a trouble free update take screen shots and sit down and reload your settings.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the current version is for 3.80.68 and lower, but as far as I can see there has not been any talk of "NG will never be supported", so that's what I mean that I'm waiting for. It's possible that a future version would have a flag you can set that would let the script know that you're updating from 380 to NG.

I have a hard time believing that NG will never be supported, so until I know and have it confirmed I would rather just wait... My SSID, password, all of the DHCP leases.. the PPTP connection.... It's all overwhelming to sit and reconfigure manually, but of course, again. If it was to be confirmed that that's what must be done then I'd have no choice, but for now I will keep hoping and not run head over heels into this update to NG.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the current version is for 3.80.68 and lower, but as far as I can see there has not been any talk of "NG will never be supported", so that's what I mean that I'm waiting for. It's possible that a future version would have a flag you can set that would let the script know that you're updating from 380 to NG.

I have a hard time believing that NG will never be supported, so until I know and have it confirmed I would rather just wait... My SSID, password, all of the DHCP leases.. the PPTP connection.... It's all overwhelming to sit and reconfigure manually, but of course, again. If it was to be confirmed that that's what must be done then I'd have no choice, but for now I will keep hoping and not run head over heels into this update to NG.
First off I never said NG would not be supported. That being said what you want the script to do is only made available by you editing the script to suite your needs. It is not what the script was intended to do. Updating version to version sure. Updating a code base now that is totally different. 380.68 = apple 384.4 = orange

You *might* be able to edit the nvram-merlin.ini file that comes in this utility and update it referencing the list of nvram that is in your new device using this command.
Code:
nvram show | sort > /mnt/sda1/settings.txt

I found this in RMerlin's FAQ on nvram here.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

If you compare the two files you can see what needs to be done. Still a tedious task from my perspective too. I suspect there are tools to convert this, but maybe not.

You *might* be able to edit the nvram-merlin.ini file that comes in this utility and update it referencing the list of nvram that is in your new device using this command.
Code:
nvram show | sort > /mnt/sda1/settings.txt

I found this in RMerlin's FAQ on nvram here.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

If you compare the two files you can see what needs to be done. Still a tedious task from my perspective too. I suspect there are tools to convert this, but maybe not.

If it comes down to it that might be an option but as of right now there are too many unanswered questions to really do anything in my opinion. Like. "Will migration from 380 to NG be possible in a future version? If so it's worth the wait to a future version for me, and "Will a future version be able to save and restore values between NG.x and NG.y? If yes, then it might be worth it to sit and do things manually this one time because then i know that at least I won't have to do it again, but if not, it really makes the usefulness of the utility questionable in the future. So... I'll wait and see.

I am trying to backup (for migration) from one ASUS RT-N66U to another RT-N66U. I have version r26.2 files uncompressed to a 4GB thumb drive. I placed the thumb drive on the primary router (for backup). I get an error after typing either command:

./nvram-save.sh or ./nvram-save.sh -M or ./nvram-save.sh -M -i nvram-merlin.ini

I get an error message

./nvram-save.sh: line 137: readlink: not found

nvram-save.sh: NVRAM User Save Utility - Version 26.2
nvram-save.sh: Saving settings from firmware
nvram-save.sh: Runtime options: -i nvram-merlin.ini
nvram-save.sh: NVRAM variable file not found: nvram-merlin.ini
Program exit

I am trying to backup (for migration) from one ASUS RT-N66U to another RT-N66U. I have version r26.2 files uncompressed to a 4GB thumb drive. I placed the thumb drive on the primary router (for backup).
Your environment appears to be seriously broken :confused:, the readlink command is missing and "nvram get" isn't working.

What firmware version are you running? What custom software have you installed (entware, ad-blockers, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!