What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll all know when John posts an update in this thread and not before. Until then you'll have to be patient or, I dunno... just type your settings in manually maybe.:rolleyes:

Of course if you sent John an RT-AC86U to experiment with it might help speed development.

Try to remember that some people have lives to live outside of this forum.

Let me clarify my question, I did not read the prior post closely enough. I am actually unlike the prior poster not asking about a new release. I am more interested in people's experience with the current release and using it to upgrade to 382. I know it is unsupported but what work-arounds are needed to get it going? I may try it and see if I can make it work. If I do, I will be sure to NOT POST my results here. I don't need smarmy lecturey arrogant reply posts. I'm out. Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Thanks for this script.

I have a question though. If this has been answered pls point me to the right link.

When doing back up, I keep on seeing "Astrill VPN" and "HotSpot". I never installed and subscribed to this. I there a way to remove them? When accessing the GUI, I don't see them anywhere. It is only during the backup process using this tool that they would come up.

Thanks Again

@MagikMark That's normal. The utility tries to backup any possible variable. Some of the sections will contain nothing because you haven't used them or they don't apply to your router. Perhaps the "Saving" message should read "Processing".

When doing back up, I keep on seeing "Astrill VPN" and "HotSpot". I never installed and subscribed to this. I there a way to remove them?
Ideally you would clone 'nvram-merlin.ini' to say 'nvram-MagikMark.ini' then simply comment out the appropriate section headers in 'nvram-MagikMark.ini'

Code:
#[Astrill VPN settings]
astrill_mssfix
astrill_iflist
astrill_protocol
astrill_key
astrill_mode
astrill_accel
astrill_blockinternet
astrill_update
astrill_devices
astrill_servers_dedi
astrill_sid
astrill_exflt
astrill_dmzdevice
astrill_ifmode
astrill_update_lastcheck
astrill_port
astrill_ifexlist
astrill_autostart
astrill_serial
astrill_devmode
astrill_iplist
astrill_serverid
astrill_iplistraw
astrill_cipher
astrill_ip
astrill_portindex
astrill_dnsserver
or permanently delete ALL lines for the sections you wish to ignore - in this case 28.

NOTE: You will then need to always remember to invoke the NVRAM save process with your custom ini file
e.g.
Code:
./nvram-save.sh   -i   nvram-MagikMark.ini
However, I'm forgetful so I use a script to ensure that only the section headers are commented out in 'nvram-merlin.ini', so by default the appropriate sections are always skipped.

Hence the reason for my customised 'nvram-save.sh' which visually reminds me that I have indeed enforced the skipping of the sections, just in case I did it to temporarily comment out a section.
see Example of skipped sections e.g. Astrill etc.

Last edited:
@Martineau

Thanks for the help!

Now that I've gotten by the KRACK updates for my fork, I'm going to spend some time on this utility. I'd like to take a look at your mods. Please send me a PM. Thanks!
I can offer to be a tester if needed. I have freed up one RT-AC88U router that I can use for testing and flashing to/from 380.xx and 382.xx firmware releases.

@Martineau

Thanks for the help!

Now that I've gotten by the KRACK updates for my fork, I'm going to spend some time on this utility. I'd like to take a look at your mods. Please send me a PM.

No doubt going 'public', this will immediately highlight some extremely embarrassing fatal flaw in my (ugly) code hacks! :eek:

PM sent to you and @Xentrk as he offered to assist with my embarrassment :D

Last edited:
Martineau, whosoever dares point to any even slight flaw in you code shall be sentenced to to eat a stack of post-it-type sticky notes raw, without sugar or tea to wash them down. Will be very glad to see what you blokes develop:) Happy New Year.

One thing I observed while using the 26.2 scripts against an RT-AC68U running 3.0.0.4.382_18881: The setting Administration | System | USB Setting | Enable HDD Hibernation = On did not restore. This may be a new setting. I'm not sure when it showed up.

One thing I observed while using the 26.2 scripts against an RT-AC68U running 3.0.0.4.382_18881: The setting Administration | System | USB Setting | Enable HDD Hibernation = On did not restore. This may be a new setting. I'm not sure when it showed up.
I confirmed the same after restoring NVRAM and JFFS to an RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin 382.2 Beta 2. The lower level settings (e.g., time, exceptions, etc.) were restored, but not HDD Hibernation itself.

Is it possible to restore only dhcp_staticlist? I copied settings to v382 from v380 on AC3100 but the Traffic per device page didn't work. I will try to do a factory reset again and restore only dhcp_staticlist to see if it's fixed. Thank you!

Wow - 34 pages. I may have missed this if already stated: will this utility work with migrating from one router to another, both running the ASUS OEM firmware?

Wow - 34 pages. I may have missed this if already stated: will this utility work with migrating from one router to another, both running the ASUS OEM firmware?
Yes, it's the -M option for migrate - see QuickStart.txt in the download for details. :cool:

Yes, it's the -M option for migrate - see QuickStart.txt in the download for details. :cool:

Yes, I saw the migration support - but the question is will it work for ASUS OEM code, not just Merlin? In the save script itself there is a variable "codename" with a comment "# Configured for asuswrt-merlin, asus-oem", and I can see that the nvram-*.ini and nvram-excp-*.sh file names are constructed using this variable. But only the nvram-merlin.ini and nvram-excp-merlin.sh files are included in the download. Will these work for OEM firmware? IIUC I think this basically boils down to whether the nvram variables are the same between Merlin and asusWRT code and/or if there are differences, is Merlin a superset and will the save/restore migration work correctly if/when it doesn't find the Merlin-specific nvram contents?

but the question is will it work for ASUS OEM code,
Yes, should work with a couple of caveats.....
- best to have both routers at the same firmware level. There are some adjustments for changes in the nvram definitions when moving between levels on Merlin that aren't done on OEM
- firmware levels above 380 may be missing some settings (I just haven't had the opportunity yet to get it updated and account for some changed handling in nvram)

The save begins but each time (at a different point) the process crashes, and only the nvram-restore-yyyymmddhhmm-macid.sh and nvram-ini-yyyymmddhhmm-macid.txt files have been written. I've reformatted the USB stick (FAT32) but that hasn't helped. Any ideas? I'm on 3.0.0.4.380-8120

I tried a different USB stick and removed the .Spotlight-V100 and other hidden files created by Mac OS X when formatting. Unsure if either of those mattered, but I was able to save and restore settings as I migrated from a RT-N66U to RT-AC88U router. What a great utility that not only saves time but avoids mistakes. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!