What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yiannis which version are you talking about? The original by john9527 or the updated script continued by Xentrk?

If the latter, you will need to find the pertinent thread and repost your question there. :)

@Yiannis which version are you talking about? The original by john9527 or the updated script continued by Xentrk?

If the latter, you will need to find the pertinent thread and repost your question there. :)
the original 26.2

@Yiannis what router do you have? What firmware are you running? What firmware were you running before?

That version you're using hasn't been updated/supported for a very long time.

You would need to use the new one if you still can. Better yet, reset to factory defaults and manually enter all your customizations. Using the old utility on new firmware is sure to introduce bugs both big and small. And even if they're not immediately noticeable, they will become problems sooner or later.

hm, sorry didn't know there is a new , improved version. I always used to come to this topic's first page to check latest version without checking latest comments. Could you please point me to the new version/tool?

I was at 384.13 and upgraded to 384.15 on Asus RT-AC68U. Kept a backup of old settings using john's 26.2 tool but now I understand I might have to pass everything manually all over again :(

@L&LD @Xentrk many thanks for your help!
One more question (which also reveals my ignorance) , After any firmware update, do we still need to Factory reset our router and then use the tool to restore settings? I think this used to be the case in the past if you wanted to avoid problems...

One more question (which also reveals my ignorance) , After any firmware update, do we still need to Factory reset our router and then use the tool to restore settings? I think this used to be the case in the past if you wanted to avoid problems...
No. You only need to do that if you're experiencing problems that you cannot resolve or you're upgrading to a significantly different version (e.g. 380.xx to 384.xx). But for normal upgrades it shouldn't be necessary.

Hello,
What is the easiest way to go from AC68u to AC86u? How to move all settings. Is it possible at all?
AC68 complains about NVRAM shortage

Hi,

If I would be in your case, I will choose to take screenshots or if you have both available, I would do the settings side by site.
Good luck!

ok, or is it somehow possible to run both routers in parallel?
For example new one in 10.0.0.x network and old one in 192.168.0.x?
And then set up all screens?

Could be. But you would need 2 devices also (2 laptops/ 2 desktops).

Hello,
What is the easiest way to go from AC68u to AC86u? How to move all settings. Is it possible at all?
Edit This is the updated version.

https://github.com/Xentrk/nvram-save-restore-utility
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-nvram-save-restore-utility.61722/
You use the migration mode setting.
Code:
    sh nvram-save.sh -h

NVRAM User Save/Restore Utility
nvram-save.sh Version 30.3.0
Options: -h           this help msg
         -v           Print version/perform consistency check
         -b           Backup mode - save for restore to same router (default)
         -m           Migration mode - transfer settings to another router
         -i inifile   Specify custom nvram variable ini file
         -clk         Include clkfreq/overclock setting (Backup mode only)
         -nojffs      Skip backup of jffs storage
         -nouser      Skip execution of user exit script

Migration Mode is used for moving the settings from one router to another. In this mode some settings are not copied, for example the wireless transmit power.
Code:
./nvram-save.sh -M or -m

There is second step if you are migration from non-hnd to hnd router to handle the nvram variables that get store in /jffs/nvram/ directory on hnd routers. See the nvram-hnd.migr.sh
usage notes on the GitHub page.

I have received good feedback from another forum member who did a migration save/restore from non-HND to HND. If it doesn't work, you can always factory reset and enter settings manually.

Last edited:
Hello,
And: Keep in mind that that the 86U ist not supported by this NVRAM Save tool - given the age of the tool and the new firmware in the 86U devices... :eek:

Better to look for the new version of the NVRAM Save utility here - should be the better choice for the migration to a new generation of Asus router! ;)

And: Keep in mind that that the 86U ist not supported by this NVRAM Save tool - given the age of the tool and the new firmware in the 86U devices... :eek:

Better to look for the new version of the NVRAM Save utility here - should be the better choice for the migration to a new generation of Asus router! ;)
It was updated for the 384.xx code base.

Edit
Sorry Guys. I'm in the wrong thread. This is the updated version.

https://github.com/Xentrk/nvram-save-restore-utility
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-nvram-save-restore-utility.61722/

Can this thread be closed since this version of the utility is no longer supported?

If you landed here, please refer to the links below for an updated version of the utility that has been updated for asuswrt-merlin.ng + 384.xx code:

NVRAM Save/Restore Utility Support Forum
GitHub Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!