What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great utility! Noticed this when using Version 24 dated 2-May-2016.

On the OpenVPN Client page, I have the field Cipher Negotiation set to Disabled. After a NVRAM restore, the field value is set to Enabled (with fallback).

Edit: Never mind. It looks like I am one version behind and the 24a has the fix for this problem. I will update and test next time I do a backup and restore to confirm.

Last edited:
Can this utility transfer settings from stock AsusWRT to Merlin like a charm? No compatibility issues?
Can it do it for only some part of the settings, e.g. firewall rules?

I was not able to download this file. It shows its there but can't download. Any one have any suggestions on how to download it?

thanks.

Can this utility transfer settings from stock AsusWRT to Merlin like a charm? No compatibility issues?
I would say yes but use the clean install option when prompted so it only loads what is needed.

I would say yes but use the clean install option when prompted so it only loads what is needed.

And what is the difference between standard backup/restore utility and this NVRAM utility in terms of compatibility? If I gonna migrate from stock to Merlin, which will do best?

And what is the difference between standard backup/restore utility and this NVRAM utility in terms of compatibility? If I gonna migrate from stock to Merlin, which will do best?
Try having a look at the readme, it is all in there.

I was not able to download this file. It shows its there but can't download. Any one have any suggestions on how to download it?

thanks.
OneDrive is odd (to say the least). Click on the file to get a check mark on it, then click "Download: in the upper left corner. If you did that with no luck then try a different browser maybe? It works for me no problem with Chrome on Linux Mint.

The standard, built-in, webui backup and restore tool should not be used on different firmware versions; so let's say you made a backup with that tool, you must only restore (should you need to) those settings on that router with the exact same firmware version. The standard Asus tool is therefore useful but quite limited.

John's NVRAM Backup and Restore utility, on the other hand, allows you to transfer your settings beyond the firmware version from which the backup was made and even to a physically different router. See, for example:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/configuration-store-where.29788/#post-231114

Note there are 2 options with John's utility: backup (default) and migrate. His Quickstart guide explains it all, but here's a recent quote from John:

"Always use the backup option if the source and target are the same router. If the source and target are different routers, use the migrate option (even if they are the same model)."

from. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-router.39386/#post-327698

It will mostly work, depending on what versions of code you are coming from and going to. Some of the nvram variables have changed their data formats over time. For Merlin builds, I try to detect the changes and 'fix' them if I can. Trying to keep track of all the ASUS builds became impossible. A couple of things to check after the move
  • Wireless Mac Filter settings (there is a utility in the package to clear them if they appear corrupted)
  • OpenVPN server autostarting (may need to resave the config)
  • SSH mode (make sure WAN access isn't enabled unless you REALLY want it)
You can make a custom ini file to only do the settings you want....just put a comment char # in front of any sections you want to ignore.....for example
#[description of section]

then either overwrite the default ini, or save it to a new name and use the -i option to specify your custom file. (there's built in help....run /path-to-file/nvram-save.sh -h)

A few quick questions for @john9527 :

From step 1 in the Quickstart guide:

- Plug the USB stick into your main computer. Format the USB stick and give it a volume label of ASUS
NOTE: Most USB sticks come pre-formatted as FAT32 or exFAT. These format types do not support access
access permissions under Linux (access is global), NTFS is preferred. If using an Apple OS, select
MS-DOS format which is really FAT32.

Why is NTFS preferred? Any reason not to use ext2/3/4 formatted USB sticks (or partitions)? And last, but not least, does it have to be a separate USB stick or can I just create a separate partition for the ASUS mount point? I have only two USB-ports on the back of my RT-AC68U, one for storage with an USB3.0 drive and would like to use the other USB port for a labelprinter without networking capabilities.

Thanks in advance!

Why is NTFS preferred? Any reason not to use ext2/3/4 formatted USB sticks (or partitions)? And last, but not least, does it have to be a separate USB stick or can I just create a separate partition for the ASUS mount point? I have only two USB-ports on the back of my RT-AC68U, one for storage with an USB3.0 drive and would like to use the other USB port for a labelprinter without networking capabilities.

Thanks in advance!
I use ext2 without issue.

I use ext2 without issue.

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for. Feels kinda strange in a non-Windows environment to have a Windows-partition on a Linux-based router, but that could just be me :rolleyes:

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for. Feels kinda strange in a non-Windows environment to have a Windows-partition on a Linux-based router, but that could just be me :rolleyes:
Thing is 90% (wild guess) probably have a windows PC and have no idea how to put files on a USB stick unless it is plugged into a PC :)

Thing is 90% (wild guess) probably have a windows PC and have no idea how to put files on a USB stick unless it is plugged into a PC :)
Bingo!!! Remember the target audience of the quickstart....someone sitting at a PC downloading the the utility (ext what? :)) You are of course free to put it on any type of partition (better ones that support ACL on the router,...no FAT32 (or exFat on my fork)).

Thanks in advance!
I started out with a separate USB stick formatted as NTFS for this great utility. But it required un-mounting of an existing usb stick when I wanted to use it. So, I took the USB stick I was already using for ab-solution, entware and IPSET_Block.sh script (ext2 format) and repartioned it using the Mini Tool Partition software that can be downloaded for free. It is a 2GB stick and use 500MB for each partition. Works great.

Bingo!!! Remember the target audience of the quickstart....someone sitting at a PC downloading the the utility (ext what? :)) You are of course free to put it on any type of partition (better ones that support ACL on the router,...no FAT32 (or exFat on my fork)).
Thanks @john9527 for confirming. Maybe an idea to rephrase the sentence I quoted above? Even though English (or because...) is not my native language, to me it reads like you're recommending NTFS, instead of the alternatives which apparently will do fine. Even though I don't consider myself a Linux novice, I do read Quickstart Guides... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for this superb utility @john9527, I successfully moved from my old RT-N66U to the new RT-AC88U and got it backup up and running literally within minutes (twice, since the first AC88U broke after 2 days of use).

BTW, where did you find such stuff? In the official Quick Guide I found only:

I found it in the QuickStart.txt which is included in the zip containing the script, which is linked in the first post. Could be @john9527 has changed it in the mean time as I suggested. I've attached it (if it's changed, that's the old version) so you can see for yourself.

Attachments

• QuickStart.txt
    15 KB · Views: 606
ake a custom ini file to only do the settings you want....just put a comment char # in front of any sections you want to ignore.....for example
#[description of section]

Brilliant! I followed your tips and it worked exactly as described.
Just out of curiosity, why Telnet, not SSH? SSH is more secure and handy. And via Telnet we cannot reboot the router in the terminal after the restoration process, unlike SSH (or maybe I'm doing smth wrong?)
Will your script work via SSH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!