What's new

Using a Router with DSL modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blessyou

New Around Here
Hi, we have a DSL line that is really slow, like .8 Mbps but we are paying for a faster DSL line (6 Mbps)

I thought maybe it has something to do with the way we have our router set up.

The DSL company gave us a DSL modem/router (Motorola Netopia 3347). We have an ethernet cable from one of the outputs of the DSL modem/router to our wireless router (D Link DIR-615). And we connect to the internet using the wireless router.

The internet is really slow. We thought maybe it is because we have (2) routers. Our D Link has to go through the Netopia.

How do we set it up so the Netopia is a "pass-through" and doesn't slow down the internet for us?

Thank you!

Why don't you just use the DSL router? At any rate, connect a machine directly to it and see if your Internet speeds up before you do anything else.

The reason I would like to use the 2nd router is because it has better parental control features.

Yes, when I plug directly to the DSL modem/router, it does connect faster.

The DIR-615 has around 80 Mbps routing speed, far more than the 6 Mbps you need. It's unclear why it is limiting your speed.

You can get free web filtering with any router via OpenDNS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!