What's new

Using second adapter to create "Isolated LAN" for IP Cameras?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g725s

Occasional Visitor
I would like to find out about possibly using the second Network Adapter on my TS-453Be for creating an Isolated LAN, or Walled Garden, for IP Cameras.

I however will not be using the NAS as my NVR. I have a dedicated Windows PC that I will run Blue Iris on. This PC with record and store all video.

I'm not super savvy with networking setup. So any insight would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
If all of your network gear, not the user devices like cameras, will support VLANs then that is one way to accomplish it.
Put the PC and cameras on their own VLAN.
i don't know what qnap has implemented but you should be able to assign a static IP address to an adapter.
it may be cleaner to set up a separate vlan on your router and assign the IP addresses to that vlan based on MAC address. then you don't have to involve the qnap device in any routing / firewall functions.

If all of your network gear, not the user devices like cameras, will support VLANs then that is one way to accomplish it.
Put the PC and cameras on their own VLAN.
i don't know what qnap has implemented but you should be able to assign a static IP address to an adapter.
it may be cleaner to set up a separate vlan on your router and assign the IP addresses to that vlan based on MAC address. then you don't have to involve the qnap device in any routing / firewall functions.
Well I don't know if it all will support VLAN, but I am using an Asus RT- AC68U flashed with Merlin as in my signature.
So your saying that I could use the Asus RT- AC68U to create the VLAN to isolate the IP Cameras (all Dahua) from the internet?
I will have to look into the router method you are proposing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!