What's new

V386.4 and (possibly odd) iptables forward rule

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GWB

New Around Here
Been lurking in background for many years. Greatly appreciate all the help and the fantastic Asus Merlin Firmware. Learned a lot reading these forums - thanks. First post :)

While reconfiguring my AC86U after 386.4 upgrade ( full wipe) , i noticed what I thought was an unusual entry in my iptables filter table forward chain ( rule #1 in image below). At the moment, my set up is pretty basic. No qos, no ai protect, no other AMTM scripts installed (yet). FIOS isp ( internet only). No custom scripts installed (yet). I dont use IPTV etc. I’ll freely admit, I’m far from an expert at multicast and iptables so.. this could be a legit entry. I just don’t recall seeing this rule in the past, Didn’t know if it’s indicative of a compromise, or bug, or is this normal and I just never noticed? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It’s injected upon bringing wan up but isn’t “persistent“ as The entry disappears after a service restart_firewall.. Just thought it seemed odd?

92E5034E-02FA-47BA-98A3-4A4E6282F558.jpeg

Last edited:
I know nothing of IPTV or multicast myself, but this rule will be created if "Enable multicast routing" is Enabled on the LAN / IPTV page.

EDIT: But if it comes from that setting, it should be a udp only rule without an interface specified. So maybe it's still a mystery.

Thanks for quick reply Dave . “Enable Multicast Routing“ is unfortunately currently disabled in GUI. Nit sure if there’s corresponding NVRAM var might be out of sync.

Thanks for quick reply Dave . “Enable Multicast Routing“ is unfortunately currently disabled in GUI. Nit sure if there’s corresponding NVRAM var might be out of sync.
You can run nvram get mr_enable_x but as I edited my post above, that rule doesn't completely match what the firmware would add to the firewall.

I just setup my AC86U from scratch tonight and I have no such rule in my FORWARD chain. It feels like it would be a custom rule that's inserted at the top of the CHAIN instead of appended at the bottom, but that's just speculation. Maybe someone smarter will come along.

EDIT: Check the file cat /tmp/filter_rules to see if the rule is firmware-generated or not.

Reactions: GWB
Thanks very much. For grins, I decided to enable and disable said routing. As you mentioned, the firewall rule from firmware is different. I have no idea where this is coming from?

with multicast enabled:
D0E7C468-BE5B-4F3C-90D5-A2DB81588741.jpeg

Without
73FCE2C8-3401-4359-9915-0F9E7F33A24F.jpeg

Last edited:
You can run nvram get mr_enable_x but as I edited my post above, that rule doesn't completely match what the firmware would add to the firewall.

I just setup my AC86U from scratch tonight and I have no such rule in my FORWARD chain. It feels like it would be a custom rule that's inserted at the top of the CHAIN instead of appended at the bottom, but that's just speculation. Maybe so

EDIT: Check the file cat /tmp/filter_rules to see if the rule is firmware-generated or not.
It does not appear in /tmp/filter_rules.