What's new

Ver. differences for compatibility - RT AC66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wouldn't trust either of these listings.

1: it shows no reference to being an RT-AC66U_B1, yet they list AiProtection which is ONLY available on the B1 version. Therefore, no idea which of the two this listing is.

2: the photo they show is NOT an RT-AC66U_B1, and the main description merely says "Asus". So once again, no idea what you'd end up buying there.

They both list AI trend as being included , newer model is cheaper , get it , worst that can happen is you return it , Amazon is good about that , very easy to return

They both list AI trend as being included , newer model is cheaper , get it , worst that can happen is you return it , Amazon is good about that , very easy to return
Thank you for the response jerry, in regards to my home networking..

I have a subscription w/ a 3rd party VPN.
They recommend an ASUS router from Asus RT-N18U - RT-AC3200 for (10-40Mbps)
Anything higher, RT-AC88U. ( up to 60Mbps)

I have just been considering RT-AC66U B1 based on price, however to maximize my available internet contract, and I would like all devices to be passed through the VPN(presently), which ASUS router would you guys recommend?

in 2018 is there any real benefit to getting the newer models? outside of home/LAN speed

The second link says "Item model number RT-AC66U_B1", "Date First Available October 13, 2016" and "1GHz CPU", so it's pretty clear what it should be. If they send you something different then return it.

EDIT: The first link says "Item model number RT-AC66U" and "Date First Available June 10, 2012", so it looks like the old MIPS unit. Don't buy it.

I have just been considering RT-AC66U B1 based on price, however to maximize my available internet contract, and I would like all devices to be passed through the VPN(presently), which ASUS router would you guys recommend?
That might depend on what your normal ISP line speed is.

The second link says "Item model number RT-AC66U_B1", "Date First Available October 13, 2016" and "1GHz CPU", so it's pretty clear what it should be. If they send you something different then return it.

EDIT: The first link says "Item model number RT-AC66U" and "Date First Available June 10, 2012", so it looks like the old MIPS unit. Don't buy it.
Amazon should be pretty good on returns as long as its not 3rd party ect.
Always have to be careful with how things are named to sell on sites for sure.

The same page also states it has AiProtection, which didn't even exist back in 2012. That's why I wouldn't trust the listing at all.

amazon fail @ getting right picture for the routers.
basically used the 68u picture for all router.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...&visitId=1e5467a8-ebcc-4a77-8012-b5e04740db00

if you have amazon prime, can just buy and return if it's wrong.

I currently have ac3100 (ac88u with only 4 lan port), ac68u
if i were to pick one router today, I would probably go for ac86u for being the newest and higher clocked CPU.

amazon fail @ getting right picture for the routers.
basically used the 68u picture for all router.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...&visitId=1e5467a8-ebcc-4a77-8012-b5e04740db00

if you have amazon prime, can just buy and return if it's wrong.

I currently have ac3100 (ac88u with only 4 lan port), ac68u
if i were to pick one router today, I would probably go for ac86u for being the newest and higher clocked CPU.

I do have amazon prime, bought both RT-AC66U_B1 & RT-AC86U

In my household, more than likely I will setup a mesh. But worst case scenario I send the 66U back.

Given the reviews you guys have of the 86U, seems to be the sweet spot and most stable.