What's new

vi edit /jffs/scripts hang

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

threemonks

Occasional Visitor
Recently I am unable to edit script /jffs/scripts using vi. I can launch the editor with the script, and make changes, but when I try to save and quit :)wq) or quite without save :)q), it will just hang.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks

Recently I am unable to edit script /jffs/scripts using vi. I can launch the editor with the script, and make changes, but when I try to save and quit :)wq) or quite without save :)q), it will just hang.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks
Apart from the obvious.... you are not trying to vi '/jffs/scripts' right?

I suggest you try the 'easier' nano editor.

What router? What firmware?

I was editing script /jffs/scripts/firewall-rule.

It is RT-AC3200, asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 384.13_2

My RT-AC3200 is now at the bottom of the closet since I no longer support that model, so I can't test it.

I would second Martineau's advice and switching to nano as a workaround.

When I tried nano, I got this error:
Error opening terminal: screen.
Which SSH client are you using?

Try setting terminal type to 'xterm'

I am connecting to the router from another linux box under screen.

I tried to ssh via putty directly, so the TERM is xterm, and then tried nano, it now seems to hang with a status text at bottom says "Reading File".

I also noticed that whenever I try to tab complete command on shell, the ssh session will hang as well.

Sounds like a terminal problem to me, not a firmware issue. Try with a more standard SSH session rather than through screen.

It seems like some kind of memory issue. I was experiencing hang even with pure putty login. I finally got it to work after a reboot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!