What's new

Virtualization of my AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluesky210

New Around Here
I have been climbing the learning curve on setting up my two AX86U in an AiMesh and learning a lot of fun stuff. I enjoy the learning part, but to try things and then test them requires a lot of rebooting, which disrupts the family. Searching the web I found a guy on YouTube that shows how to create a "Test Lab" using virtualbox and openwrt.
Having a "Lab" setup would be nice, but I don't use openwrt.
I'm not savvy enough to know if this can be done with the Asus router.
I would appreciate any guidance you might be willing to share.

Not available. You have to choose between family comfort and urge for tinkering. Your wife will help you make the right choice at some point.

If you want to experiment, I would suggest looking at an open box or used router to experiment with. The RT-AC66U_B1 is a nice entry level platform, but it won't allow you to experiment with the newer stuff only available on the HND platform, such as Cake or the forecoming Wireguard.

Not available. You have to choose between family comfort and urge for tinkering. Your wife will help you make the right choice at some point.
Sounds like you might have been down this road. Yes, I am feeling the rumblings....very motivational.

If you want to experiment, I would suggest looking at an open box or used router to experiment with. The RT-AC66U_B1 is a nice entry level platform, but it won't allow you to experiment with the newer stuff only available on the HND platform, such as Cake or the forecoming Wireguard.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think that is what I will do. I'm a retired IT guy and this is what I do for fun. Sad isn't it, I should be on a beach in the Bahamas!

You don't go into IT if your goal is to be able to retire on a beach in the Bahamas :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!