What's new

Vista NAS Problem -Was fast, then it suddenly became slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xeoz

New Around Here
I've built a very nice home NAS server. I got it running with all of the software I ever intend to install it and started testing.

Originally I was amazed. I was completely maxing out my gigabit connection I was seeing transfers to the NAS of over 100MB/s and reads of 120MB/s.

Then suddenly, it became insanely slow. It seems to have capped itself. Now I can push data to the NAS at no more than 20MB/s, and, here's the kicker... I can only pull data at 8MB/s.

There were no software changes, between it operating amazingly fast and dog slow. There wasn't even a reboot. One hour it was 100MB/s, the next it was 8MB/s.

The only thing I did was move some large files across drives via remote desktop to test the drives. All of the individual drives transfer between each other at ~130MB/s.

I have tried all of the tricks I could find:
  1. Removed Remote Differential Compression
  2. Removed Windows Meeting Space
  3. Disabled Auto-Tuning
  4. Set NetworkThrottlingIndex to FFFFFF
  5. Verified that the NIC is connected at 1000Mbps

With no results.

System:
  • Intel E6300 processor
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3R board
  • Using onboard Realtek NIC
  • Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (fully updated)
  • NOD32 v4 Antivirus

Does anyone have any idea of whats going on?

Edit: Wanted to add, I've confirmed these speeds on other computers on the network, so it must be the server. I've restarted the server a couple times since it because slow with no changes.

Last edited:
Update:

Figured it out. Both of the client machines I was testing with were vista machines. Both of them still had throttling enabled.

Set NetworkThrottlingIndex to FFFFFF on the client machines and boom! 120MB/s transfer!

Sorry to bother you guys, maybe this will help someone in the future.