What's new

vpn client and server @ same time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cake

Curious if anybody using Merlin's build has used the router's vpn settings to connect to a vpn service, and at the same time ran a vpn server from the router to connect from lets say a wifi cafe, etc to their (your) home network?

I have been struggling, even tried abandoning that idea, and tried to run a OpenVPN server on a headless raspi, following various tutorials for a couple days, however I failed. I was hoping for a easy solution, but looks like I will have to wait until someone makes a tutorial for just that. Unless .... somebody here on smallnetbuilder has got their ac68u to perform both while also being double nat'd (using a script to retrieve ip) and can post instructions. :) :D

Had to modify my ddns script a bit however it and OpenVPN client is working great. (Merlin build 374.43_2)

I'm running both OpenVPN client connecting to Private Internet Access and running an OpenVPN server on my RT-AC68U. And I have to say it was a tremendous pain in the butt, taking me almost six months of fooling around before I got it working properly - my success ultimately due to the efforts and posts of several forum members here in the "Selective Routing" thread.

Is there something particular that's hanging you up? Or would it be best I just post everything I got?

Please please please post everything you have :)

I have been trying desperately to set up a VPN solution that would allow me home network access and security over a PIA connection, but have had no luck.

I'm using an Asus RT-N66U with the latest Merlin firmware. I am able to set up a client and server separately, but not having them run at the same time. Any information you have would be useful.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!