What's new

VPN Director Killswitch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kiomisu

New Around Here
Firstly hi, new user here and total newbie to VPN Director

I'm running 386.3 on a RT-AC68u

I have a QNAP on my lan which I want to run through VPN client 1 and have Killswitch enable to block all traffic should the VPN go down. This will be the only device on that client

I have Nord up and running on Client one. Used their config and only changed Username/Pass , Accept DNS Config = Exclusive and Redirect internet traffic through tunnel = VPN Director (policy rules) Killswitch - Block routed clients if tunnel goes down = Yes

Set the Default gateway DNS on the Qnap to the router IP. Enabled Client 1 and all good. Checked the Qnap's Wan ip and it's the VPN's public ip. Tested it and it's routing all traffic through the VPN.

No here's where I have a issue.

Added Rule to VPN Director. Descriiption = Qnap Local IP = Qnap's LAN IP Iface = OVPN

If I stop VPN client 1 the Qnap's Current wan IP reverts back to the Router's wan IP.

The killswitch doesn't Kill the connection

What am I missing here? Any help greatly appreciated.
Dave

If I stop VPN client 1 the Qnap's Current wan IP reverts back to the Router's wan IP.

The killswitch doesn't Kill the connection
That's intended behaviour. By manually turning off the VPN client you are saying "I don't want to use this client". That is not the same as the the tunnel failing while the VPN client is enabled, which is what will trigger the killswitch.

Last edited:
Thank you very much that clarifies it. Now to stretch the friendship a touch, is there a way I can test it?

That's intended behaviour. By manually turning off the VPN client you are saying "I don't want to use this client". That is not the same as the the tunnel failing while the VPN client is enabled, which is what will trigger the killswitch.

Thanks for your help. SSH in and run the command. Works great

Reading the notes before...so now when VPN Client is set to OFF, killswitch is DISABLED?

As those X IPs are not anymore related in any "running VPN Clients" ?

So i dont need to worry that my DNS, IPs etc....will leak somehow?

New feature is it? Yes,Seems so...i was suspecting that is something wrong in FW o_O

- Manually stopping a client will remove the kill
switch. It will now only be applied at boot time
(if client was set to start at boot), or if the
tunnel is disconnected through a non-user event

---
Former issue:

When i disconnect VPN, all those 4x Clients in VPN Director switch to Local Provider IP and Internet works just fine.

Where can i check / what to set? before in older FW was fine what i can remember.

Router is after fresh Factory Reset and reflashed FW

1644680350428.png

1644680354114.png

March 2024
Hardware / Firmware

Computer Windows 10 Pro
RT-AC86U
Merlin 386.12_6

VPN
NordVPN

Five devices, computer (1-cable), television (1-cable), tablet (1-wireless), smartphone (2-wireless) connected to the Asus Router.

Install NordVPN application (software) on the computer.
VPN is not configured inside Merlin

1.1-NordVPN Company connection failed: Computer cannot connect to the internet. Four other devices can and show the real IP.
1.2-User disconnect the Router from the computer: Computer cannot connect to the internet. Four other devices can and show the real IP.

NordVPN is configured inside Asus/Merlin. No application of NordVPN running.
2.1-NordVPN Company connection failed: All five devices continue to be connected to the Internet, showing the real IP.
2.2-User disconnect the Router from the computer: Computer cannot connect to the internet. Four other devices can and show the real IP.

Conclusion
Until now, so since long time, Merlin never work concerning the Kill Switch.
So that you put it On or Off will change nothing and when NordVPN Company connection drop, your computer will continue to be connected to the Internet and showing your real IP.

Therefore, Merlin is just “good” if and only if NordVPN Company connection not failed.