What's new

vpn /insuficient bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I have been with TPG for about 2 months or so ,for the first month ,or so, everything worked smoothly. I use an asus rt ac 88 u router connected directly into the arris modem running express VPN . The last few weeks i started getting error messages. When i try to stream ,say US amazon from AU , it either will not connect returning the error message, can not connect check your internet connection,or if i wait long enough it will eventually connect but return the error message, insufficient bandwidth do you wish to continue,and if i click yes it will eventually stream.

Now i have had the same router for years and used express VPN for years previously with optus (not on NBN though) and have never had this problem. When i check the speed using the roku device i get 5 to 10 MBS just like i have been getting for years.

Fixes i have tried a/installed merlin firmware 384.11.2 b/deleted all my VPN locations from both my router and saved files and started fresh from scratch, nothing helps.

My question. Is it possible or would they (TPG) bother to choke my internet only while using a VPN , or limit my bandwidth ?. I realise that this may be a dumb question but i don't know what else to try.

I have eventually given up and now use smart DNS to stream but i miss the security and privacy a VPN provides . Also , just to note when i complained to TPG i mentioned i stream US content (dumb i know) ,or try to , via a VPN he had the gall to suggest it was illegal and perhaps NBN co was perhaps to blame. I pointed out that no it is not illegal the government coming to the conclusion that as we only stream as aposed to download no copyright laws are breached Any help or opinions greatly appreciated rgds Roy

Last edited:
I have been with TPG for about 2 months or so ,for the first month ,or so, everything worked smoothly. I use an asus rt ac 88 u router connected directly into the arris modem running express VPN . The last few weeks i started getting error messages. When i try to stream ,say US amazon from AU , it either will not connect returning the error message, can not connect check your internet connection,or if i wait long enough it will eventually connect but return the error message, insufficient bandwidth do you wish to continue,and if i click yes it will eventually stream.

Now i have had the same router for years and used express VPN for years previously with optus (not on NBN though) and have never had this problem. When i check the speed using the roku device i get 5 to 10 MBS just like i have been getting for years.

Fixes i have tried a/installed merlin firmware 384.11.2 b/deleted all my VPN locations from both my router and saved files and started fresh from scratch, nothing helps.

My question. Is it possible or would they (TPG) bother to choke my internet only while using a VPN , or limit my bandwidth ?. I realise that this may be a dumb question but i don't know what else to try.

I have eventually given up and now use smart DNS to stream but i miss the security and privacy a VPN provides . Also , just to note when i complained to TPG i mentioned i stream US content (dumb i know) ,or try to , via a VPN he had the gall to suggest it was illegal and perhaps NBN co was perhaps to blame. I pointed out that no it is not illegal the government coming to the conclusion that as we only stream as aposed to download no copyright laws are breached Any help or opinions greatly appreciated rgds Roy
I have been seeing this issue on and off the past several months. I disabled ad and blocking features to make sure they were not the source of the issue.

It appears to be an issue with Amazon Prime and not your ISP or VPN. I did a search for "amazon insufficient bandwidth" and the first hit lead me to this forum.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/.../471839-insufficient-bandwidth-only-on-amazon

There are some recommendations listed you can try.

I have been seeing this issue on and off the past several months. I disabled ad and blocking features to make sure they were not the source of the issue.

It appears to be an issue with Amazon Prime and not your ISP or VPN. I did a search for "amazon insufficient bandwidth" and the first hit lead me to this forum.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/.../471839-insufficient-bandwidth-only-on-amazon

There are some recommendations listed you can try.
Thanks for your response I had been wondering if it was just an Amazon issue perhaps they have getting better at blocking Vpn enabled devices.At the moment it works great with smart DNS but for how long. Ps I mentioned amazon because they are the worst but when it is really playing up I get similar error messages from Hulu and US Netflix leading me to believe the problem lay with express VPN

Last edited:
Thanks for your response I had been wondering if it was just an Amazon issue perhaps they have getting better at blocking Vpn enabled devices.At the moment it works great with smart DNS but for how long. Ps I mentioned amazon because they are the worst but when it is really playing up I get similar error messages from Hulu and US Netflix leading me to believe the problem lay with express VPN
Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and BBC block known VPN providers. The work around I use is mentioned here: https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

For selectively routing streaming traffic over the WAN or one of the 5 OpenVPN interfaces, see https://github.com/Xentrk/x3mRouting

I like the sound of torguard I checked out their site though I might try the combo VPN and proxy thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
Thanks for the info... unfortunately I recently purchased PIA VPN and until next year. I wish I wld have seen this earlier since I can't watch Hulu not Netflix with PIA.[

That is a bummer i have checked torguards site and they have some pretty cool options like dedicated US IP address you can get for very competitive prices .If that doesn't fool the streaming services i don't know what will

I think I have finally worked out why my VPN connection has been slow lately.Some time ago I must have turned on the game boost option on my router which,as you know, pushed gaming to the top of my QoS setting .At least I think that was the problem as I have pushed streaming back to the top for bandwidth and it seems to be connecting as quickly as it used to.I will keep an eye on it over the next few days but I am hoping that is all it was.Bloody tinkering it does get me into trouble now doesn't it

I think I have finally worked out why my VPN connection has been slow lately.Some time ago I must have turned on the game boost option on my router which,as you know, pushed gaming to the top of my QoS setting .At least I think that was the problem as I have pushed streaming back to the top for bandwidth and it seems to be connecting as quickly as it used to.I will keep an eye on it over the next few days but I am hoping that is all it was.Bloody tinkering it does get me into trouble now doesn't it
Either that or express VPN where the problem and now have resolved it.After having written the bit about the QoS setting it just doesn't sound right does it?

Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and BBC block known VPN providers. The work around I use is mentioned here: https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

For selectively routing streaming traffic over the WAN or one of the 5 OpenVPN interfaces, see https://github.com/Xentrk/x3mRouting
I think I worked out why my VPN connection started playing up.I think I must have deleted the activation code when I deleted all the express VPN locations by accident.I went to download the express VPN app for windows 10 tablet so I could use it as a hotspot to connect my Roku devices to and in the process I clicked on the activation code again and it seems to have fixed it.It is now day 3 and it is still running well.My tinkering does get me into trouble but I can't help myself I am hungry for technical knowledge thanks again for your help guys

I think I worked out why my VPN connection started playing up.I think I must have deleted the activation code when I deleted all the express VPN locations by accident.I went to download the express VPN app for windows 10 tablet so I could use it as a hotspot to connect my Roku devices to and in the process I clicked on the activation code again and it seems to have fixed it.It is now day 3 and it is still running well.My tinkering does get me into trouble but I can't help myself I am hungry for technical knowledge thanks again for your help guys
At least I think that is why???