What's new

VPN recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilverLarva10

New Around Here
Hello,
Wanted to hear what VPN are you using? Which is the best and what would you recommend?
Thinking about getting a paid VPN for a year because I'm going to travel a lot.

Thanks !

If you really need a VPN you need paid VPN. Have been using ExpressVPN for almost a year. Outstanding but one of the most expensive. IMHO worth every penny. TorGuard is also very highly rated and considerably cheaper.

Hello,
Wanted to hear what VPN are you using? Which is the best and what would you recommend?
Thinking about getting a paid VPN for a year because I'm going to travel a lot.

Thanks !
I think TorGuard can check all of your buttons for your travel needs. Easy to install on devices and on an Amazon FireTV. I bring one with me when I am traveling and have access to all of my streaming channels when staying in a hotel. Please see Why I use TorGuard as my Provider

Private Internet Access is also my choice, in terms of speed and stability. However, you should check whether they have servers in your desirable countries or not, just in case of activating localized software. Another point is that PIA currently does not support Steath Mode like Torguard so that it won't work in some locations restricting OpenVPN protocol.
Here is the link of PIA's servers: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

Does anyone here have experience with VPN Unlimited?

:)

Have used the following, so personal experience only.

- PIA:

Pros: Proven No Logs, Speed Average and Good Price Point
Cons: No Netflix Support (Proxy error) / 5 Eyes Country *Firmly trust their no logs policy*

- Nord

Pros: Netflix Working, Lots of servers and you can choose a server/ Panama
Cons: Price, Support not as concise as PIA

TorGuard:

Pros: Dedicated IP Address, Streaming IP (Netflix works)
Cons: Set up a little tedious than other two/ 5 Eyes

All three were pretty good, however Nord was the winner because you can stream and still do your normal web browsing with AES 256 GCM, SHA 512, DH-RSA 2048. (Pretty solid).

I think TorGuard can check all of your buttons for your travel needs. Easy to install on devices and on an Amazon FireTV. I bring one with me when I am traveling and have access to all of my streaming channels when staying in a hotel. Please see Why I use TorGuard as my Provider

@Xentrk,

Was reading last night your write up about Torguard. I also looked at the website and was curious on the subscription part of it. Do you need to have a Dedicated IP and/or a Streaming IP with this service?

The other VPN services I have used in the past, have not specifically asked for this info upon signup so wasn’t sure of the pros/cons of using them.

I also noted that in addition to Dedicated IP and Streaming IP there is an add-on service for a particular server (near your location) that you can choose as well.

Would you be able to clarify what the needs would be for having each of the above configuration features along with your annual subscription? I tried to find this info on the website but couldn’t.

Thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I self-host using WireGuard...

I have been very much interested in Wireguard in the last 6 months and I am curious how were you able to do this. Feel free to guide me to the Wireguard thread (or any other ones) if your solution is located there. Thank you very much!

@Xentrk,

Was reading last night your write up about Torguard. I also looked at the website and was curious on the subscription part of it. Do you need to have a Dedicated IP and/or a Streaming IP with this service?

The other VPN services I have used in the past, have not specifically asked for this info upon signup so wasn’t sure of the pros/cons of using them.

I also noted that in addition to Dedicated IP and Streaming IP there is an add-on service for a particular server (near your location) that you can choose as well.

Would you be able to clarify what the needs would be for having each of the above configuration features along with your annual subscription? I tried to find this info on the website but couldn’t.

Thanks much!

You only need the Streaming IP (aka Private, Residential) if you want to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime in US and/or BBC in UK. If you don't need to use these services, then a regular subscription will suffice. For example, I route Netflix, Hulu and Amazon to the streaming IP and default other traffic to the shared server in LA.

You don't need the 10GB add on service. TG supports the 2.4 ciphers such as GCM for improved speeds. They are testing Wireguard VPN on some servers in NY. I currently use the TG app on my Amazon Fire Stick when I am traveling so I can stream from the comfort of my hotel room. Otherwise, I selectively route the traffic on my router when at home.

You only need the Streaming IP (aka Private, Residential) if you want to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime in US and/or BBC in UK. If you don't need to use these services, then a regular subscription will suffice. For example, I route Netflix, Hulu and Amazon to the streaming IP and default other traffic to the shared server in LA.

You don't need the 10GB add on service. TG supports the 2.4 ciphers such as GCM for improved speeds. They are testing Wireguard VPN on some servers in NY. I currently use the TG app on my Amazon Fire Stick when I am traveling so I can stream from the comfort of my hotel room. Otherwise, I selectively route the traffic on my router when at home.

Thank you very much @Xentrk! I may get the regular service and apply your Netflix routing script since it is the only streaming service I use.

I was considering between ExpressVPN and Surfshark and opted for the newcomer. Both of them have good reputations and are located in the British Virgin Islands so there's smth to back-up the no logs. So far the only downside is that Surfshark has fewer servers and is sort of new, but it's way cheaper so might be smth to consider if money is the issue.

The issue with VPN rating sites, there are many, is that they all survive by advertising. That means they are NOT unbiased, and it you look at enough of them, each has highly variable recommendations.

I went through all that choosing a VPN provider, and found this site, highly recommended by someone I trust explicitly. That One Privacy Site does NOT take advertising money!
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

Please read the FAQ before you decide if you want to use this site, or choose any VPN provider.
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/faqs/

I've used Windcsribe since their inception. They have a very generous freemium model, so you can see if they meet your needs without spending a dime.

If the primary reason you purchase from a particular vendor is because they have a server that gets by Netflix today it can be blocked tomorrow.

IMHO Netflix doesn't go out of the way to chase down new VPN servers but tries just hard enough to keep the media providers off their back.

I have had good success with Astrill VPN in circumventing Netflix's geo blocks when traveling in Europe and wanting to watch my US subscription.

There is no telling when Netflix gets blocked again on VPNs. I am on PureVPN and it gets around Netflix restrictions and gives me HD streaming sometimes.

Have used PIA for years without an problem....any VPN out of Switzerland would be the most secure (look into ProtonVPN)