What's new

VPN service just for selected devices, possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nico_ar

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I have an RT-66U router running 3.0.0.4.382_51640 SW. Is it possible to activate VPN client just for selected devices connected to the router? Some sort of Dual WAN: some devices to be routed directly to my ISP's DNS servers and the other devices to the DNS servers of Nord VPN?
The iussue is I have a media server connected to my router. When VPN client is activated, naturally I lose connection with it... DDNS doesn't solve the problem as it doesn't work with VPN client activated...
Thank you very much!

Hi
I have an RT-66U router running 3.0.0.4.382_51640 SW. Is it possible to activate VPN client just for selected devices connected to the router? Some sort of Dual WAN: some devices to be routed directly to my ISP's DNS servers and the other devices to the DNS servers of Nord VPN?
The iussue is I have a media server connected to my router. When VPN client is activated, naturally I lose connection with it... DDNS doesn't solve the problem as it doesn't work with VPN client activated...
Thank you very much!

The issue is not based on which DNS server that is used, rather on if traffic is routed through WAN or through VPN client.

Can I assume your router is RT-AC66U?
It is possible to use Policy Rules when using a VPN client. You can then choose which devices that should be using the VPN client. As a standard, the devices that are not routed through the VPN client will be routed through WAN. However, you will need to change firmware to Johns fork to use Policy Rules since it is not included in Asus stock firmware.
Read up on Policy Rules in Yorgis VPN guide to set it up.

I do not really understand the issue with your media server though.
Are you using your media server on LAN only or are you using port forward to share it online?

o Johns fork to use Policy Rules since it is not included in Asus stock firmware.

The last version of Merlin's firmware for the ASUS N66 (380.70) includes policy based VPN routing and it works just fine. The only problem is that with Merlin's support for his firmware for this router is EOL. John's fork on the other hand is still maintained for this router providing patches.

The issue is not based on which DNS server that is used, rather on if traffic is routed through WAN or through VPN client.

It is possible to use Policy Rules when using a VPN client. You can then choose which devices that should be using the VPN client. As a standard, the devices that are not routed through the VPN client will be routed through WAN. However, you will need to change firmware to Johns fork to use Policy Rules since it is not included in Asus stock firmware.

Are you using your media server on LAN only or are you using port forward to share it online?

Thank you very much! It seems I have no other option but to flash my router... It is very annoying firstly because if I forget, by mistake, VPN client activated, I cannot remotely reach my router anymore... Secondly, I have a media server I want to access online (port forwarding). With VPN client activated it will be also gone . Instead of flashing the router is there maybe a possibility to use a two router solution: one should direct all traffic to WAN and the other through the VPN client? Could I then remotely acces my VPN router or not? Considering a VPN connection to the WAN router that doesn't use VPN client?

The last version of Merlin's firmware for the ASUS N66 (380.70) includes policy based VPN routing and it works just fine. The only problem is that with Merlin's support for his firmware for this router is EOL. John's fork on the other hand is still maintained for this router providing patches.

Thank you very much! I "d want to try to avoid flashing my router but it seems I do not have any other option...Could it be that the new RT-AX88U stock firmware includes policy based VPN routing?
I am not quit satisfied with the modest RT-AC66U and I am waiting for an RT-AX88U

Thank you very much! I "d want to try to avoid flashing my router but it seems I do not have any other option...Could it be that the new RT-AX88U stock firmware includes policy based VPN routing?
I am not quit satisfied with the modest RT-AC66U and I am waiting for an RT-AX88U

Probably not unless the firmware is much different than the current stock ASUS firmware.

The RT-AX88U stock firmware has no policy-based routing. You need either a custom firmware like mine, or an ROG model that will support Asus's VPN Fusion feature.