What's new

VPN speed vs ISP Bandwith

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pusb87

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have an Asus RT -68U running on Merlin 380.65 firmware with PIA vpn service.

My ISP bandwidth is 150 down / 10 up

When connected through VPN client i typically get 40 down / 10 up....... and I'm very happy with that.

My question is that were i to move to a lower ISP bandwidth, say 100 down / 10 up would I likely still get 40 down /10 up when running through the VPN ?

My guess / hunch is YES, I would as the speed with the vpn is more likely effected by the router capabilities rather than the ISP's bandwidth.

What do you guys think / know !

TIA

Hi,

When connected through VPN client i typically get 40 down / 10 up....... and I'm very happy with that.

My question is that were i to move to a lower ISP bandwidth, say 100 down / 10 up would I likely still get 40 down /10 up when running through the VPN ?

My guess / hunch is YES, I would as the speed with the vpn is more likely effected by the router capabilities rather than the ISP's bandwidth.

TIA

Your hunch is valid. In fact your speed using the VPN might go up slightly with a lower bandwidth plan from your ISP. I was getting 75 down with a plan from my ISP that gave me 85/12. When I went to a plan where I was getting 180/22 my download dropped to 65. Apparently the higher speed overwhelmed the router leading to reduced download speeds using the VPN.

Running the VPN providers app directly on my PC I do get 170/22 so neither the VPN provider or my ISP are the problem.

The speed depends on the server you are connecting to, location of that server, and how well your network is communicating with the VPN server. Most of the time it's the location of the server. Try connecting different servers nearest to you and see what speed do you get.

Hi,

TIA

You are correct. In your case, the VPN speed depends entirely on your routers processor. Lowering your ISP speed to 100/10 won't impact the VPN speed from your router at all. With your model of router, your current VPN speed is as fast as it will get.

By lowering your speed you might actually see an increase in your VPN through put. When I had a connection from Comcast that got me speeds of 85/12 Mbps my VPN was 75/12. When I went to a faster tier I was getting 180/22 but my VPN speed dropped to 65/20.

My vpn allows multiple logins at the same time for non Mobile clients (pcs and routers). I dealt with this problem by putting the openvpn client directly on my pcs and ms surface. I route them around the asus tunnel and let them each use their own tunnel. The remaining 18 devices (mobile, tablet, iot) do use the asus tunnel and it does that well. The Core processors in the pcs are much better at handling the load of openvpn than the ARM in the asus, and as the highest use devices, get up to their original isp bandwidth, ~90 down best of times.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk