What's new

VPN - TOR: How flexible can you get with how a client connects?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ADFHogan

Regular Contributor
Hey folks,

Tried fiddling with the TOR settings in my RT-AC5300 a few times, and never quite get the result I expect. It seems to always want to redirect EVERYTHING through TOR.

I even tried putting in a dummy MAC address, and setting "Redirect all user from: Only specified MAC" and it still wanted to send everything through.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions around the TOR provided by the router..
Eg. Is it possible to have it set up such that it's just providing a SOCKS port you can point browser at if you so choose, rather than all traffic?

I understand that there can be app level leaks depending on how DNS resolution is done, and how the client is configured... but I also don't necessarily want to get Windows Updates via TOR :)

Happy to RTFM if there's some doco hiding somewhere for AsusWRT(-Merlin) that explains how to do something other than just "EVERYTHING!"

Currently running RT-AC5300 on 384.8

Not sure why the MAC address doesn’t work for you. If you use a vpn service on the client and combine it with Tor (on the router), the apps wont leak dns.

Not sure why the MAC address doesn’t work for you. If you use a vpn service on the client and combine it with Tor (on the router), the apps wont leak dns.
Do you have a screen shot of your TOR config perhaps, with personal details redacted?

Can I, for example, wrap an app in proxychains and force it over SOCKS to router TOR proxy port?

Heh.. two housemates run Win 10.. my desktop, whilst it can boot into Win 10, ... my work notebook's updates through TOR.
For Windows PCs that route all traffic through the Tor network, you can turn on Windows Update Delivery Optimization in Windows 10, to allow downloads from other PCs on the local network.
WindowsUpdateDeliveryOptimization.jpg

For corporate enviroments running Windows Server 2016, the Windows PCs would configure Local Group Policy (gpedit.msc) to download updates from a WSUS server on the local network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Update_Services
WindowsUpdateIntranetService.jpg

Last edited: