What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.0 -Jul 10, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You all are going to hate me, but this will be the LAST minor update (I'm hoping)... fixed a few small items to help keep things consistent throughout the setup experience. Plus, now that it's included in AMTM, I wanted to experience and test the update process for myself... and happy to report back that everything works great! :)

v1.93 - (July 6, 2022)
* MAJOR:
Very happy to announce that VPNMON-R2 is now being included in AMTM! Many thanks to @thelonelycoder for his consideration and help getting this included!
* FIXED: Fixed the logic to display the proper router model using some of @thelonelycoder's code which should report back the right info from NVRAM.
* CHANGED: As such, did a few more cleanup items to make menu choices less ambiguous, and creating proper exits for items that require an exit vs. going back to a menu.

@Viktor Jaep congrats on being accepted into "The Club" :D

Now you are on the "main menu" have you given any thought to having the option available off "your" menu to install "officially" it so it auto-runs on startup/reboot?
I know that many of us have done our own versions of "auto-run on startup/reboot", in my case after a bit of back and forth and trial and error, due to other AMTM scripts not "firing" correctly, I ended up with the following in post-mount:-

Code:
(sleep 30 && /jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh -screen) &

Still don't really know whether there is a better/more efficient/cleverer way ... but not having endless hours to experiment (and take the internet in the house offline) there we are for now??

Now you are on the "main menu" have you given any thought to having the option available off "your" menu to install "officially" it so it auto-runs on startup/reboot?
I know that many of us have done our own versions of "auto-run on startup/reboot", in my case after a bit of back and forth and trial and error, due to other AMTM scripts not "firing" correctly, I ended up with the following in post-mount:-

Code:

Still don't really know whether there is a better/more efficient/cleverer way ... but not having endless hours to experiment (and take the internet in the house offline) there we are for now??
I would think may be a good place to anger it in at would be openvpn event. I imagine not every one runs their vpn at boot, but we can control the script based on certain vpn events...

Code:

I'm still really on the fence about this, since there's more than one way to do this based on someone's preference. For instance, I also use the post-mount method, but this more simple command seems to work just fine for me:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh -screen

I'll keep an eye on this if there seems to be demand, and I can build something in that adds this... but then in your case, you would have to end up modifying it again to suit your needs?

You all are going to hate me, but this will be the LAST minor update (I'm hoping)... fixed a few small items to help keep things consistent throughout the setup experience. Plus, now that it's included in AMTM, I wanted to experience and test the update process for myself... and happy to report back that everything works great! :)

v1.93 - (July 6, 2022)
* MAJOR:
Very happy to announce that VPNMON-R2 is now being included in AMTM! Many thanks to @thelonelycoder for his consideration and help getting this included!
* FIXED: Fixed the logic to display the proper router model using some of @thelonelycoder's code which should report back the right info from NVRAM.
* CHANGED: As such, did a few more cleanup items to make menu choices less ambiguous, and creating proper exits for items that require an exit vs. going back to a menu.
Did something change for the exit descriptions? Mine display IP addresses now instead of the city.

Did something change for the exit descriptions? Mine display IP addresses now instead of the city.
Nope, nothing changed. That happens from time to time. I believe when the API gets hit too hard or gets overloaded, it just doesn't respond back with a city lookup, and vpnmon-r2 in that case will just default to the exit IP. It happens to me frequently when I do a lot of testing, where I'm hitting it on a very frequent basis.

Give it a few minutes, kill the script, and try it again... it will most likely work. ;)

v1.93 - (July 6, 2022)
* MAJOR:
Congratulations are in order, Well deserved for such an amazing concept and code.

I'm still really on the fence about this, since there's more than one way to do this based on someone's preference. For instance, I also use the post-mount method, but this more simple command seems to work just fine for me:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh -screen

I'll keep an eye on this if there seems to be demand, and I can build something in that adds this... but then in your case, you would have to end up modifying it again to suit your needs?
There definitely is a demand for auto-start my good sir, perhaps you could give it as an option during update/install.

Code:

The sleep 30 also holds back on every other script that follows in that file. Make a wise decision where and how you place it.

The sleep 30 also holds back on every other script that follows in that file. Make a wise decision where and how you place it.
@thelonelycoder his way of calling it pushes the command to the background so any commands that follow it will still be called without delay. This can be observed by you making an sh script and calling sleep 30 the same way

(sleep 30)&

Add an

echo nodelay

On the next line and see if it takes 30 seconds for the echo no delay to appear on the terminal screen. Similarly you could do the same with time stamps and taking the difference. It will tell you if it takes 30 seconds to echo the difference to you.

@thelonelycoder his way of calling it pushes the command to the background so any commands that follow it will still be called without delay. This can be observed by you making an sh script and calling sleep 30 the same way

(sleep 30)&

Add an

echo nodelay

On the next line and see if it takes 30 seconds for the echo no delay to appear on the terminal screen. Similarly you could do the same with time stamps and taking the difference. It will tell you if it takes 30 seconds to echo the difference to you.
I seem to be too old for this or impatient to read the whole line. You are correct, I missed the & at the end of the line that I often use in my scripts. Time to retire ;)

I missed the & at the end of the line that I often use in my scripts. Time to retire ;)

That would indeed be a heavy burden to bear - to have been responsible for @thelonelycoder retiring by my insufficiently prominent "&" ...

:D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!