What's new

WAN capped at 100mb help please! asus 87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Cazzoi From what you've said and your picture it would appear that your router's WAN socket is damaged. Examine it closely and look for bent, missing or corroded metal contacts.

@Cazzoi,
@ColinTaylor Is correct. The first part in determining the attributes of a port's Ethernet connection is associated with the physical connections and the cable. Check the WAN port at the back of the router.

However, after the port determines the physical characteristics of the connection the router and the ISP device will perform auto-negotiation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation ) which will determine many more operating parameters. Chipset incompatibilities can cause this autonegotiation to continue infinitum and take up to 50% of available bandwidth as well as fail to agree to running at 1Gbps.

Just for grins, plug the cable from their equipment into one of your router’s LAN ports that currently has a gig connection and see what speed it connects at. This will let you know if your WAN port is bad or their equipment is faulty.

i got it working for some reason. i needed to put a cat 7 cable in the wall to my gigabit switch then to the router. then i have 3 other cable that is cat 7 plugged in t the router to my devices, now everything works fine i got 450mbps download and upload. for some reason i had a cat 5e and cat 6 cable in that was messing up the connection totaltly werid

i got it working for some reason. i needed to put a cat 7 cable in the wall to my gigabit switch then to the router. then i have 3 other cable that is cat 7 plugged in t the router to my devices, now everything works fine i got 450mbps download and upload. for some reason i had a cat 5e and cat 6 cable in that was messing up the connection totaltly werid

Your CAT.5e and CAT 6 were defective. Those cables were cheap? Do not use cheap cables. Cheap cables don't use 100% copper.

So the main difference now (apart from the cable types) is that you have added a gigabit switch between the router's WAN port and the wall socket which wasn't there before. Correct?

Last edited:
@Cazzoi Welcome back!

Let me repeat back what you just stated:
  • When you plug a PC into the wall socket you get 400Mbps
  • Moving the cable from the PC to the router WAN port you then only get 100Mbps
Looking at the Network Map screen you should see that the WAN port has connected at 1Gbps.
View attachment 19315
  • If the port is connecting at less than 1Gbps, then you have a cable issue.
  • If the port is connecting at 1Gbps but you only measure 100Mbps, then there is additional data crossing the connection which is negatively impacting your measurement. This additional data is probably due to an auto negotiation issue between the router and your ISP equipment. There are three ways to resolve:
    1. Ask your ISP to replace their equipment with another model
    2. Install an Ethernet switch between the router and wall socket
    3. Use something other than ASUS but realize that the replacement may have same issue
Hi,

Please can you you give advise.

I have an Asus RT-87U router.

My network map is as follows:

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 18.08.12.png

If I plug my computer directly into the wall socket and bypass the router I get gig speed 1Gbps.

If I plug my computer via the lan port I only get max 350Mbps.

1. Is there no switch on the router that must be set ?
2. Should I get Ethernet switch and try that ?

thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 18.04.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 18.04.39.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 133
Try powering down your network fully for at least a minute or two (physically unplug from the AC adaptor). Seems like something inside the Quantenna based router needs resetting.

I have an Asus RT-87U router.
My network map is as follows:

View attachment 25645

If I plug my computer directly into the wall socket and bypass the router I get gig speed 1Gbps.

If I plug my computer via the lan port I only get max 350Mbps.

1. Is there no switch on the router that must be set ?
2. Should I get Ethernet switch and try that ?
  1. With regard to the network map, is your computer plugged into LAN 1 or LAN 2?
  2. With regard to the wall socket, what is the wall socket connected to?
  3. With regard to the wall socket, are you using the same cable as when you plug the computer into the router?
  4. With regard to 'max 350 Mbps, how are you measuring that?
  5. Advise as to what is written on the cable regarding its specifications
Please answer each question.
Cheers

@Beefcat In addition to @ApexRon's questions please check the status of HW acceleration at Tools > System Information > Network. If that is disabled you will experience the speeds you are seeing.

1. With regard to the network map, is your computer plugged into LAN 1 or LAN 2?
  2. With regard to the wall socket, what is the wall socket connected to?
  3. With regard to the wall socket, are you using the same cable as when you plug the computer into the router?
  4. With regard to 'max 350 Mbps, how are you measuring that?
  5. Advise as to what is written on the cable regarding its specifications
Please answer each question.
Cheers
thank you for so many question, let me try and answer:

1. LAN 1: See the "dark blue cable" It goes directly into my PC from the router.
NOTE: When I plug the dark blue cable into the wall socket or ONT I get speed up to 960 Mbps

IMG_6992.jpeg

2. The wall socket "Black cable" goes from the ONT into the router.
NOTE: If I connect the dark blue cable directly into the wall socket or ONT then I get 960 Mbps speed.
The Wall socket is the white device installed by the ISP. It has 8 LAN port. Currently it is in LAN 1

IMG_6988.jpeg

The bottom of the ONT/Wall socket looks like this. Black cable is in LAN 1 and goes directly into the router.

IMG_6987.jpeg

3. Yes, f a plug the "Black cable" directly into my computer then I get around 930Mbps.

4. I use https://www.speedtest.net. Other site give more or less same speeds.
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 19.18.08.png

5. There is no information on the "Blue cable" the goes from LAN 1 directly into my PC.

The Black cable looks like this: It came with the router I bought.
IMG_6994.jpeg

Thank you so much for your response. I hope you can help me.

How do I fix it ?
It should give you the reason why it is disabled next to the "incompatible with:" message. That fact that there's nothing there means something about the router is messed up. Powering off the router for a minute and then turning it back on usually clears that issue allowing you to see the reason why it's disabled.

If that doesn't work the reasons for being disabled is either a) it's been manually disabled (LAN - Switch Control), or b) you are using an incompatible feature (IPTraffic, QoS, Repeater mode or USB modem).

It should give you the reason why it is disabled next to the "incompatible with:" message. That fact that there's nothing there means something about the router is messed up. Powering off the router for a minute and then turning it back on usually clears that issue allowing you to see the reason why it's disabled.

If that doesn't work the reasons for being disabled is either a) it's been manually disabled (LAN - Switch Control), or b) you are using an incompatible feature (IPTraffic, QoS, Repeater mode or USB modem).
Hi Colin,

Thank you. I will switch it off for a couple of minutes and then on again. I will also pull the power plug.

Hi Colin,

You are a guru !!!

After resetting this is what I see.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 20.10.25.png

Test speed give me now 950 via LAN !!

NOTE: On my 5G wifi I only get 485 Mbps. Any reason why I'm not reaching 900+ Mbps ?

Thank you so much for helping me !!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 20.12.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 20.12.31.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
ah, I see. Will the new routers have that capability ?
With the older generation of routers the WiFi speed seems to be limited by the router's CPU. I don't know whether the newer generation (like the RT-AC86U) are similarly limited. Even if they were I suspect that their faster CPU's might be able to simply "brute force" their way to the maximum speed. But that's speculation on my part. Maybe somebody with one of those routers and a gigabit connection can let us know for sure.

Last edited:
With the older router generation of routers the WiFi speed seems to be limited by the router's CPU. I don't know whether the newer generation (like the RT-AC86U) are similarly limited. ... Maybe somebody with one of those routers and a gigabit connection can let us know for sure.
Colin Taylor - Good call. I have a AC86U (384.19) and my speed test shows the same whether I am LAN or WiFi connected. 235 Mbps down and 11.7 Mbps up. 'WiFi Explorer' shows my 5 GHz connection as being able to achieve 1.733 Gbps. Hope that helps

With the older generation of routers the WiFi speed seems to be limited by the router's CPU. I don't know whether the newer generation (like the RT-AC86U) are similarly limited. Even if they were I suspect that their faster CPU's might be able to simply "brute force" their way to the maximum speed. But that's speculation on my part. Maybe somebody with one of those routers and a gigabit connection can let us know for sure.
Hi Colin and others,

Please can you help, I'm back here again:

This time HW acceleration is Disabled.

Last time I had it "enabled (CTF only)" and I got speed up 950 Mbps.

Now I'm back to speeds of 300 Mbps.

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 18.31.38.png

Can you perhaps point me in a direction where I can try and resolve the matter ? Any other setting I can try on Asus-RT87U ?

Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!