What's new

WAN capped at 100mb help please! asus 87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cazzoi

Regular Contributor
hello everyone.

i have an asus 87u a problem that my ips just upgraded me from 100 mb to 400mb download.

but im not getting my full speed. when i go to speedtest.com it shows i got 100mb when i should get 400mb

i already change my cable to a cat 7.
i rebooted the router.

is there any fix for this?. i read some posts that it could be auto thing

thanks for your help

Attachments

• imageedit_4_7880786783.jpg
    imageedit_4_7880786783.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,248
hello everyone.
i have an asus 87u a problem that my ips just upgraded me from 100 mb to 400mb download.
but im not getting my full speed. when i go to speedtest.com it shows i got 100mb when i should get 400mb
i already change my cable to a cat 7.
i rebooted the router.
is there any fix for this?. i read some posts that it could be auto thing
thanks for your help
The panel you showed is the negotiated speed between the ASUS and whatever you are plugging the other end of the cable into. That negotiation is based on the capabilities of the hardware interface for each device and the perceived capabilities of the cable from each interface's perspective. The speed on that panel has nothing to do with the speed of the internet itself.
  • That said; what type of device (make, model) are you trying to plug the ASUS into?
Auto-Negotiation issues between two devices are not uncommon.

The panel you showed is the negotiated speed between the ASUS and whatever you are plugging the other end of the cable into. That negotiation is based on the capabilities of the hardware interface for each device and the perceived capabilities of the cable from each interface's perspective. The speed on that panel has nothing to do with the speed of the internet itself.
  • That said; what type of device (make, model) are you trying to plug the ASUS into?
Auto-Negotiation issues between two devices are not uncommon.
it is in the wall plug well the internet is. the asus is plug into the wall so i dont get it. it skould give me higher speed then 100mb

it is in the wall plug well the internet is. the asus is plug into the wall so i dont get it. it skould give me higher speed then 100mb
In the attached image I am interested in knowing what kind/make/model of modem your WAN connection is plugged into. Refer to #3.
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 4.51.57 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 4.51.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 4.51.57 PM.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 757
nevermind
thanks you tho i think i fix it with this code. if anyone have a problem this will work.

chief@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# robocfg
Broadcom BCM5325/535x/536x/5311x switch configuration utility
Copyright (C) 2005-2008 Oleg I. Vdovikin (oleg@cs.msu.su)
Copyright (C) 2005 Dmitry 'dimss' Ivanov of "Telecentrs" (Riga, Latvia)
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
Usage: robocfg <op> ... <op>
Operations are as below:
show -- show current config
showmacs -- show known MAC addresses
showports -- show only port config
switch <enable|disable>
port <port_number> [state <enabled|rx_disabled|tx_disabled|disabled>]
[stp none|disable|block|listen|learn|forward] [tag <vlan_tag>]
[media auto|10HD|10FD|100HD|100FD|1000HD|1000FD]
[mdi-x auto|on|off] [jumbo off|on]
vlan <vlan_number> [ports <ports_list>]
vlans <enable|disable|reset>
ports_list should be one argument, space separated, quoted if needed,
port number could be followed by 't' to leave packet vlan tagged (CPU
port default) or by 'u' to untag packet (other ports default) before
bringing it to the port, '*' is ignored
Samples:
1) ASUS WL-500g Deluxe stock config (eth0 is WAN, eth0.1 is LAN):
robocfg switch disable vlans enable reset vlan 0 ports "0 5u" vlan 1 ports "1 2 3 4 5t" port 0 state enabled stp none switch enable
2) WRT54g, WL-500g Deluxe OpenWRT config (vlan0 is LAN, vlan1 is WAN):
robocfg switch disable vlans enable reset vlan 0 ports "1 2 3 4 5t" vlan 1 ports "0 5t" port 0 state enabled stp none switch enable

hello everyone

i been stuggling with and im almost gonna throw this router out the window. i tried everything and it just wont work i been chaging cables now i got new cat 7 cable. been trying those but im still capped i been resetting my router even a HARD reset. i been changin firmware now i have the lastet firmware from merlin 384.11 beta 2

my router is a asus 87u. my internet coming from a socket from wall, not a modem

atm im getting a 100mb when i skould of getting 400mb speed

i have no idea what to do . all my devices is connected to router pc/ps4/ipad/phone

have any one had this. issue at all

Plug a PC with a gigabit Ethernet adaptor directly into the wall socket. If the PC also connects at 100Mbps then it means your wall connection is only 100Mbps and the problem is nothing to do with your router.

@ColinTaylor has provided an excellent diagnostic approach to your problem.

Your 400Mbps ISP service should connect to a higher speed connection at the street. Between that street connection and your wall outlet should be some electronic device to reduce the speed to 400Mbps Ethernet. In most cases, that device is misconfigured or on occasion, defective.

@ColinTaylor has provided an excellent diagnostic approach to your problem.
I agree but ... there is an off chance that the two devices just ain't "auto-negotiating" the proper (1 Gbps) link rate with each other. You wouldn't think it'd be an issue issue in this day and age but I still, very occasionally, see it.

E.g., Device "A" and device "B" will both negotiate 1Gbps with device "C" but "A" & "B" will only negotiate 100 Mbps with each other.

As per Colin if the PC does not see full speed then it is likely a problem with your provider.

But if it does? You might try sticking a dumb switch in between your router and service provider. Devices that can't negotiate properly with each other will usually work fine with other devices.

PS Double check your bandwidth limiter setting ...

Last edited:
I agree but ... there is an off chance that the two devices just ain't "auto-negotiating" the proper (1 Gbps) link rate with each other. You wouldn't think it'd be an issue issue in this day and age but I still, very occasionally, see it.

E.g., Device "A" and device "B" will both negotiate 1Gbps with device "C" but "A" & "B" will only negotiate 100 Mbps with each other.

As per Colin if the PC does not see full speed then it is likely a problem with your provider.

But if it does? You might try sticking a dumb switch in between. Devices that can't negotiate properly with each other will usually work fine with other devices.
@Klueless Actually there are several more points of failure. Let me share my current list:
  • Cable from wall outlet to ISP equipment
  • ISP equipment - misconfigured or broke
  • ISP provisioning - subscribe to one speed but never provisioned by ISP or their partners
  • Technical issue - auto-negotiate
  • 87U broke

@Klueless Actually there are several more points of failure. Let me share my current list:
  1. Cable from wall outlet to ISP equipment
  2. ISP equipment - misconfigured or broke
  3. ISP provisioning - subscribe to one speed but never provisioned by ISP or their partners
  4. Technical issue - auto-negotiate
  5. 87U broke
I do not disagree.
  • #1 OP already swapped out cables.
  • Colin's test addresses points #2 & #3 and the rest of point #1.
  • My idea only addresses #4.
  • All this could well leave us with point #5.

@Cazzoi

So last week I noticed that one of my router's WAN port was capped at 100 Mbps. Now I was *sure* it was at gigabit when I set it up last year? Just to double check I ran a few Internet speed test from multiple computers. Sure enough, they all came in at under 100 Mbps. Now I knew darn well that most of them checked in at 250 and one was getting 350 Mbps.

So I rebooted my router. WAN = 100 Mbps.

Then I thought of you. And I also thought of the eight bullet setup card I got with my Blue Cave last week. So I followed the directions and bang! WAN = Gigabit.

Worked for me but you've probably already been there / done that.

Going from memory;
  • Unplug both modem and router.
  • Disconnect the Ethernet cable between the two.
  • Wait! Wait for about two to three minutes. Maybe even more.
  • Plug the modem back in.
  • Wait! Wait for maybe five minutes. Until all the appropriate lights come on.
  • Reconnect the Ethernet cable between the modem and router.
  • Plug the router back in.
  • Wait.
With any luck at all you'll see Gigabit.

I do not know why I dropped down to 100 Mbps. I do think the "key" to the above procedure (in my case) was unplugging both devices ... for an extended period of time.

Network equipment is designed to tolerate occasional burps and belches in electricity. They are not UPSes but they can remember what's going on for hundreds of milliseconds to tens of seconds. The extended shut down insures a brain wash.

@Klueless I suspect that his connection sorted itself out (probably by doing something like you just said) considering that he hasn't logged in since his original post. He reported the same issue back in February which also magically started working again.

NB: In his case he doesn't have access to the modem.

@Klueless I suspect that his connection sorted itself out (probably by doing something like you just said) considering that he hasn't logged in since his original post. He reported the same issue back in February which also magically started working again.

NB: In his case he doesn't have access to the modem.
not quite i pretty gave up on this. cause im still running a 100mb with the rouer on so i dont get i got new brand cat 6 cable right now. i did a wall socket to the computer that gave me a 400mb my full speed and when i put on the router it gives me the 100mb so i dont get it why it does it

not quite i pretty gave up on this. cause im still running a 100mb with the rouer on so i dont get i got new brand cat 6 cable right now. i did a wall socket to the computer that gave me a 400mb my full speed and when i put on the router it gives me the 100mb so i dont get it why it does it
@Cazzoi Welcome back!

Let me repeat back what you just stated:
  • When you plug a PC into the wall socket you get 400Mbps
  • Moving the cable from the PC to the router WAN port you then only get 100Mbps
Looking at the Network Map screen you should see that the WAN port has connected at 1Gbps.
Speed.jpeg

• If the port is connecting at less than 1Gbps, then you have a cable issue.
  • If the port is connecting at 1Gbps but you only measure 100Mbps, then there is additional data crossing the connection which is negatively impacting your measurement. This additional data is probably due to an auto negotiation issue between the router and your ISP equipment. There are three ways to resolve:
    1. Ask your ISP to replace their equipment with another model
    2. Install an Ethernet switch between the router and wall socket
    3. Use something other than ASUS but realize that the replacement may have same issue

@Cazzoi Welcome back!

Let me repeat back what you just stated:
  • When you plug a PC into the wall socket you get 400Mbps
  • Moving the cable from the PC to the router WAN port you then only get 100Mbps
Looking at the Network Map screen you should see that the WAN port has connected at 1Gbps.
View attachment 19315
  • If the port is connecting at less than 1Gbps, then you have a cable issue.
  • If the port is connecting at 1Gbps but you only measure 100Mbps, then there is additional data crossing the connection which is negatively impacting your measurement. This additional data is probably due to an auto negotiation issue between the router and your ISP equipment. There are three ways to resolve:
    1. Ask your ISP to replace their equipment with another model
    2. Install an Ethernet switch between the router and wall socket
    3. Use something other than ASUS but realize that the replacement may have same issue
this is what it showing me atm and tbh im getting sick of it.. when im paying a 400mb. i call the provider, there said i needed to buy some new cables which i did brought 2 cat 6 cables a 10meter one for my computer and 2meter for the router see if it was that. there told me to take out the cable from the router and plug it into the wall then i did that. then there said plug the other end direct to the pc. and then it gave me the full 400mb speed on that. then i plugged wall socket end in the router again. then the router and cable is direct to the pc. and it gave me the 100mb. and also my wan is a 100mb so i really dont get it.

b3ff787c3f983f8ef7785b69652cb1c8

Attachments

• b3ff787c3f983f8ef7785b69652cb1c8.png
    b3ff787c3f983f8ef7785b69652cb1c8.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,314

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!