What's new

WAN capped at 100mb help please! asus 87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If a hard reboot doesn't resolve this, you may need to do a full reset on your router.

Try powering off the router fully for a minute or two (disconnect the AC power cord) and press all the buttons it has multiple times (including the on/off button, if it has one). Then see if HW acceleration is working when it boots up again.

Did you make any changes to the router prior to it becoming disabled or did it just happen by itself?

Upload the router's entire syslog to pastebin.com and give us the link to it so that we can look at it.

Turning router off for a few minutes and then on did not work. Still getting Hw Acceleration " Disabled incompatible with" but it does not say with what .

@colin: No I did not make any changes.
@Coling how do I extract my syslog from the router to upload it to pastbin.com ?

Last edited:
I can't see anything in the syslog that would indicate the cause of the problem. It's possibly a hardware fault. The RT-AC87U was known to be temperamental.

Last edited:
H
Did you make any changes to the router prior to it becoming disabled or did it just happen by itself?

Upload the router's entire syslog to pastebin.com and give us the link to it so that we can look at it.
Ok, you can get the syslog.txt file here :https://pastebin.com/XV8PBge7

What should I set LAN> Switch Control > NAT Accelaration to ?

Auto or disabled ?

If I set it to Disabled, then Tools > HW Acceleration = Disabled (by user)

Power off the router and unplug the power connector from it. Turn the router on with the power cable still unplugged and wait a few seconds to drain any residual current. Then turn off the power button, plug everything back in and turn it back on again.

Auto or disabled ?
Auto.

Auto or disabled ?
I personally would use Enable or Auto.

Can we assume your using 384.13_10?

To eliminate cable, please obtain a CAT 7.

Power off the router and unplug the power connector from it. Turn the router on with the power cable still unplugged and wait a few seconds to drain any residual current. Then turn off the power button, plug everything back in and turn it back on again.

Auto.
thank you,

if the router is problematics, what other Asus router do you recommend then. I need simular features on the RT-AC87U with Qos, AIProtection and traffic analysis. but I definitely need full speed with the LAN cable plugged in to the router up to 1 Gpbs. One that does not have this issue.....

@ColinTaylor, I already suggested that and no improvement.

@Beefcat I would be doing an M&M Config at this point to verify that the hardware is functioning properly. Trying a different cable or an inexpensive switch between the ONT and the router may help, as @ApexRon suggests too.

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are the most powerful routers available today with RMerlin support. The RT-AX88U being the more powerful, overall, of the two.

I personally would use Enable or Auto.

Can we assume your using 384.13_10?

To eliminate cable, please obtain a CAT 7.
Hey Apex, yes I definitely have 384.13_10.

How would I know it is a CAT7 ?

Problem is if I stick the LAN cable into the ONT or Modem to my computer I get 950Mbps.

If I stick the LAN cable in to router to my computer I only get around 300 Mbps.

The cable between ONT/Model and router is working.

I got speeds of 950 Mbps when my HW Acceleration was on (CTF only)

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 19.52.04.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 19.52.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 19.52.04.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 139
The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are the most powerful routers available today with RMerlin support. The RT-AX88U being the more powerful, overall, of the two.
So with this routers I would not have HW acceleration issues ? and with Asus Merlin running ?

All consumer and prosumer routers are still vastly underpowered today. HW acceleration 'issues' will remain even if mitigated on the most powerful examples at Gbps ISP speeds.

If you're not using QoS, Traffic Analyzer, or AiProtection and after making sure they are disabled and you've rebooted the issues still remain, the M&M Config is highly recommended to fix any settings/default issues that may have crept into your router over the years.

How would I know it is a CAT7 ?
A decent quality cable will be marked CAT 7 and have gold color on the RJ45.

Problem is if I stick the LAN cable into the ONT or Modem to my computer I get 950Mbps.
If I stick the LAN cable in to router to my computer I only get around 300 Mbps.
The cable between ONT/Model and router is working.
I got speeds of 950 Mbps when my HW Acceleration was on (CTF only)
The message was “Disabled-Incompatible with”. Since you can’t identify the current cable, replace with CAT 7. Additionally, try a different computer.

The point of my recommendation is that we know the symptoms and while we suspect the router we really haven’t ruled anything else out. The “incompatibility“ could be the caused by something external to router or the router just being flawed.

A decent quality cable will be marked CAT 7 and have gold color on the RJ45.

The message was “Disabled-Incompatible with”. Since you can’t identify the current cable, replace with CAT 7. Additionally, try a different computer.

The point of my recommendation is that we know the symptoms and while we suspect the router we really haven’t ruled anything else out. The “incompatibility“ could be the caused by something external to router or the router just being flawed.
Awesome, this help.

Ok are you saying I should get a CAT 7 cable for:

1. Connection between ONT/Model and Router,
2. Connection between Router and my PC.

Just want to make sure. Cable between router and Model is very short, and I need about 6 metro cable between router and PC.

Then we test these ? I results still the same then it could only be router ?

If the cable and or a switch between the ONT and router doesn't make a difference, then I would recommend the following link to determine if the router hardware is faulty first, before going to look at new routers.

Ok are you saying I should get a CAT 7 cable for:
1. Connection between ONT/Model and Router,
2. Connection between Router and my PC.

Just want to make sure. Cable between router and Model is very short, and I need about 6 metro cable between router and PC.
Then we test these ? I results still the same then it could only be router ?
While I am not saying this is your issue, a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal can inject noise into a CAT 6 or less cable. I myself just had to install two CAT 7 cables to replace old CAT 6 for that reason. CAT 7 has better shielding. Since you only have two Ethernet cables connected to router, I would replace both.

Yes, you can test the cables but it would be far cheaper to get two CAT 7 cables than to rent the necessary test equipment to validate your current cables. My two 1 meter (three feet) CAT 7 cables cost me $14 from Amazon US.

Again, referring to the error posted on the router, with two CAT 7 cables installed, router reloaded, and the problem still existing, I would try another computer or tablet in place of the current computer. Any Ethernet interface on any device can have hardware/firmware/OS challenges that may cause problems when connected to a specific device, router in your case, and not other devices.

Sure, you could upgrade to a newer router technology but unless you are 100% certain that your current router is the issue, you could have similar or other issues with the new router.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, I already suggested that and no improvement.

@Beefcat I would be doing an M&M Config at this point to verify that the hardware is functioning properly. Trying a different cable or an inexpensive switch between the ONT and the router may help, as @ApexRon suggests too.
Hi Colin,

I have order 2 CAT 7 cables and will test once it arrives.

In the meantime:

1. What is M&M Config ?
2. I have ssh into the router and executed nvram show.

The following values for CTF comes up:
ctf_fa_cap=1
ctf_pt_udp=0
ctf_fa_mode=0
ctf_disable=1
ctf_disable_force=0

To enable CTF with FA or without FA, what should I set these values to ?

Last edited:
You should have this:

ctf_disable=0

and then either this:

ctf_fa_mode=1

or this:

ctf_fa_mode=2

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!