What's new

WAN DHCP Bug - RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wraith7n

New Around Here
Just wanted to report a bug I ran into the other day with my ISP and Asus RT-AC68U router. They changed my WAN DHCP address to a non standard (in my opinion) set of IP's an the Router refused to accept it.

Example:

IP: 123.222.233.87
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 123.222.232.1

Generally the third octet of the gateway matches the third octet of the IP address. In my case the ISP changed it the other day and now it doesn't match. For some reason this seems to make the RT-AC68U give an error that the DHCP from the ISP isn't working correctly. After some troubleshooting I found I can statically assign the router the DHCP IP from the ISP and it'll work (until they change it again). Wasn't sure if this had been reported before.

What firmware version are you running?

The third octet of my gateway has always been different from that of my own IP (it's the same netmask as yours now is) and it's never caused me any problems.

IP: 123.222.233.87
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 123.222.232.1

Generally the third octet of the gateway matches the third octet of the IP address.
If your subnet was 255.255.255.0, you should expect the third octet to match. Since yours is 255.255.252.0, there is a broader range of addresses in that (example) subnet.
123.222.232.1 - 123.222.235.254

But something else must be going on if the router doesn't think the ISP DHCP is working. Just not the reason you initially thought. ;)

Ahh well I thought I had maybe solved the issue as they had recently changed the IP and the router just refused to DHCP from the modem. I'm running 3.0.0.4.385_10000 for firmware right now. The computer straight to the modem gets the DHCP without issue. At least I'm up and running for now. I also tried the full reset of the router etc just in case any changes I had made might be blamed but still wouldn't DHCP from the ISP. Statically assigning the DHCP did resolve the issue, until they change it again (which isn't often).

I got it working with the mac clone on the router. Everything is all set now. Thanks for your input! I found a couple other posts on here talking about the same issues and that was one of the things they recommended.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!