wanted: vlan for AC56U in AP-Mode

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
I had, but it made no difference, now a dumb switch is between and my machine is connected to it.

grifo

Right, problem is, it is the same parent interface. Otherwise I would just run the Asus on an interface with no IPv6 at all, but I only have one connection here.
If you have a spare interface on your pfSense you could use that dedicated to your IoT.

If you don't how are you daisy chaining the switches? To make VLANs work you should connect the Asus WAN port to the pfSense and your other switch to the Asus LAN 1.

EDIT: I reread your post and it sounds like you only have one interface you can use on the pfSense. So if you want your IoT devices to be on their own VLANs you can only do it like above.

grifo

I had, but it made no difference, now a dumb switch is between and my machine is connected to it.
What you should do now is connect everything as above and run Wireshark on your PC to see what's going on exactly.

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
My testing before was flawed I think now: I retested with just the asus and no other dumb switches in between and now everything looks good. So the problems must have come from the dumb switches, with only IPv4 there were no problems, interesting.

I have several interfaces on the pfSense but only one connection to "my" room and I have to expand further from here.

Anyways, seems solved, thank you guys!

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
Good to hear that Bob.
Lets see if this is still the case tomorrow. ;)

Now things get more complicated but I have to cope with that. for instance another interface means another subnet. I could bridge them but pfSense is sometimes really ugly, I better don't touch "LAN" on pfSense, but I getting really off-topic now.

grifo

Lets see if this is still the case tomorrow. ;)

Now things get more complicated but I have to cope with that. for instance another interface means another subnet. I could bridge them but pfSense is sometimes really ugly, I better don't touch "LAN" on pfSense, but I getting really off-topic now.
It should ;)

Maybe you could dump the dumb switches and get a managed switch, they're selling for cheap these days, for example the Netgear GS105Ev2.

If you want to use a dedicated interface for IoT on the pfSense you wouldn't need to bridge it with your main LAN, just like it isn't bridged now on the single interface you're using. You'd reuse the same subnet you're using for your IoT's now. The traffic between subnets would be routed by the pfSense in the same way just on a different physical interface vs. a subinterface of the same parent interface.

Last edited:

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
@grifo I know, problem is the wiring here at my home, I have daisy chained the rooms in my apartment, no central point. And also I am using one "line" for a 10G direct connection, so I am really cheeping out on my networking equipment, but I like it this way, very environmental friendly. :cool:

grifo

I've just looked on Amazon Germany (your country by looking at your profile) and the 8 ports version of the Netgear is only 33 euros, I'd get one in a heartbeat, it's at 49.99 euros on my local Amazon, though it comes down sometimes with offers.

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
@grifo I now have plugged one dumb switch in the asus in the "no vlan port" and it seems to work fine. Also I have a quad-Port NIC in my virtual (who guessed?) pfSense. And like I said, no central network point, so a managed switch probably wouldn't help much. Also the Asus has to be in the center of the apartment.

grifo

OK, all sorted then. Have a good locked down Saturday night mate ;) ...same here.

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
Problem came back right now, which is almost 24 hours later... I now will left out the dumb switch even after the asus for testing. :confused:

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
Sry for the false alarm, had nothing to do with the asus, it looks like Suricata on pfSense was blocking my machine, although it never should do this in the first place.

Last edited: