What's new

wanted: vlan for AC56U in AP-Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes it does. But the real beauty of an router doing VLANs, like the asus did thanks to you, is that you have another VLAN-Switch and VLAN-Access-Point on one device. And I need this in "my" room, the Zyxel is elsewhere next to pfSense.
That is why I would prefer a router, maybe with OpenWRT, because Asus still doesn't do VLAN.
Also look at using Tomato on a router as it supports VLANs through the GUI.

The downside is Tomato isn't as actively maintained as it once was and you give up many features the Merlin's firmware supports just to gain VLANs and virtual APs.

@Bob.Dig I've reread your last post and in all honesty I think you'd still be better off with dedicated boxes. A good managed switch for your room is cheap and will last you a very long time. A good small-business grade AP is worth its money, check out the reviews for those TP-Link APs on your local Amazon.

For about the same money or less you get an out of the box supported solution and you won't have to throw away the whole all-in-one box when it goes unsupported. If you also needed a router then maybe but since you already have a PfSense box it doesn't make sense to buy an AiO IMO.

Edit: you could also keep using the Asus as a switch only with the WiFi turned off to save the money for the managed switch but if you see that Netgear at or below 30 euros for Black Friday it would be well worth the space and clutter savings and you would no longer have to mess with scripts.

Last edited:
@Bob.Dig I've reread your last post and in all honesty I think you'd still be better off with dedicated boxes.
I though the same, came here and you already posted it, again. :)

There is one other thing, if I could "master" openwrt, there is a lot to learn, hopefully in a good way.
But again you absolutely right, a gigabit VLAN switch is cheap and a good wifi AP is also a nice thing to have.

Else I would get an 8 ports Netgear switch like the GS108E.
I bought, although not necessary, a Zyxel GS1200-8 for arround 35 bugs, because I already had another Switch from them and they look nice. ;)