What's new

WD My Book Live & Cisco E4200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidjames

New Around Here
Hi, am thinking of getting a 3TB My Book Live to use with my laptop & iPhone thru my Cisco E4200 router,
just wondering if anyone has this setup ?
What's it like ?
Any thoughts or advice ?
What wifi speeds can I expect ?
Any help would be great, thanks

Did you purchased this item?

Well I found one for $192 Instead of paying $249. I have one coming today here. I know I could have followed the bandwagon here and gone for those NAS ones everyone is so caught in. Cost wise for 3TB was right. Plus the WD Personal Cloud feature was more in tune to what I was looking for on my many many Android Tablets. I already have file server, backup server still using a single NAS to keep things on hand and not run 3 servers systems daily. I'll let you know how I make out..

Last edited:
Price has dropped to $179 on prime. I going after them for the price drop. I have them on live chat now.. (Amazon) WD My Book Live 3 TB Person Cloud Storage Drive..

Best price i've seen over here in uk is £145, which is cheaper than Amazon UK are selling thier returns for, was a little cheaper a week ago, which I missed, which does not seem a bad price for a 3TB HDD, have heard that HDD prices are high at mo ?

Price has dropped to $179 on prime. I going after them for the price drop. I have them on live chat now.. (Amazon) WD My Book Live 3 TB Person Cloud Storage Drive..

$179 sounds a great price, (just been to app store !)
What's prime ?

$179 sounds a great price, (just been to app store !)
What's prime ?

Amazon Prime you pay for that per year. That gives you 2-day delivery for free instead of the old stagecoach delivery method which tends to take much longer. If you want it the next day in the week it's only $3.99 each item or on the weekend it's $8.99.

I got them to give me back $10 to use on another purchase. That had taken 2 hrs to get back from them though best to leave the open chat still going.

Well anyway I'll see how this one does which had just arrived here. 3TB should be around 2.5TB, I'll soon see? If I order another one I can use that as a second NAS for backup. I hate using USB HD I use too make my own from HDD. Hardware cases with USB board. That work I had about 8x of those in use. They where shared out using USB hubs to the routers and system left on.

Anyway time to make the connection..

So for you it's $179.99 on Amazon should be free shipping too. 3 to 5 days. If you don't use Prime.

Well they have a CD to help install stuff, but I didn't need to use it.. I am up! Also installed WD 2go Pro on one of Android ICE Cream Sandwich tablets. Wow it works over the WiFi. I'll try my Android Smartphone over 4G in a bit too. See how that goes. Both devices are OC (overclocked) WiFi is max to 802.11n @ 40MHz with GF enabled and couple of other network improvements. I am strong on WiFi and Wired and everything I got it is a peak performance.

So reads and writes will be tested. I want to see why so many said it was slow. The WebGUI not bad so you can setup user account access with pwsd create shares.

Shoot I might get some more of these devices. Seem there a Backup (kinda has support for Windows 7, Mac, etc.) Remote Control , FTP Server feature along with dropbox support. I'll have see about that. I'll be also testing DNLA on my 6x SONY SMP100N @ 802.11n @ 40MHz at 1080p There is also a new SONY SMP200N that has 3D but for now these are what I use daily to stream all sorts of 1080p. I have to see if the SONY can see my new NAS. If it can I'll get more of these. WD gives such a short CAT5e cable but it seems long enough to get down too 2 levels I have to mount these network gear.

At first on my Windows 8 it didn't see the shared folders I had created on WD Live NAS. But now it does after created a user account and password. Again no CD is use. Those of you are still unsure I'll do some heavy testing to see how well this goes?

Note: This one does not come in that orange color box. This seems to be something newer.

More later on..

Last edited:
That all sounds great, I remember about amazon prime now, I'll be interested to hear your read/write speeds, the phone apps do sound good as well, I'm trying to get dd-wrt working on a TP Link TL WR1043ND router at mo, so I can use it as another wireless repeater/acess point.
Let us know about what speeds u get ?

That all sounds great, I remember about amazon prime now, I'll be interested to hear your read/write speeds, the phone apps do sound good as well, I'm trying to get dd-wrt working on a TP Link TL WR1043ND router at mo, so I can use it as another wireless repeater/acess point.
Let us know about what speeds u get ?

I didn't get a chance to test 4G yet. Mostly working with Gig PCI-E with Jumbo Frame set to 9k. Max out NIC buffers and OS TCP Buffers. Fixed a setting in my main LBR. Thus doing so seen a much better throughput. Also on WiFi 802.11g @ 20MHz and 802.11n @ 40MHz. I had ditched the PSWD though on the folders. That kept on coming up when you access the shared NAS folders and also on the shared files from that folder. Like double duty. To me it's overkill.

Windows 7 sees the shares as did Windows 8 did.
Copy and past write and read I'll do so more test.

How much is this on your end though?

Packet Size Test

Time in seconds to complete

All network Tweaks
Write: 332MB

Packet Size Test

Time in seconds to complete

All network Tweaks
Read: 566MB

This was done using LST Lan Speed Test.

Couple of days into this now not much I can see that's lagging.. From WiFi to Wired nodes (devices) I can build systems using this device without issue. The real test is to use the SONY SMP-N100 or N200 for streaming. I can see under the network that the MBL does show-up and ready for usage. As does the File server I use always.

I see that Amazon is old out of the 3TB and I can't find no local Staples to carry them. I did ask the manager she told me they had sent them back to WD. She didn't know there were new model out though. They might get them. In the meantime..

Looks like I had spoken too soon..

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...ate-in-wd-photos-after-making-changes-on-a-wd

The above link shows that it take 30 seconds per photo to process on this model and most of the same type from WD. That's really awful. Today one of my Access 2010 database files was almost corrupted, I was able to send it back to the file server and save the data. Data file didn't open up when it was called for on the NAS.

Synology QNAP, or maybe Thecus, and you'll have well designed NAD operating software.

Yes I know what you have on your end and did look into it. I'll probably send back the WD 3TB NAS Personal Cloud as being defective product, for overheating other issues I am seeing from it. No way near the 100mbps it's suppose to get. Reads are higher but the writes are slow and weak. Their Duo is even worst.

NOS is what I am using now for file management but having that on 24/7 non-stop also not cheap to run. PSU replacements and shares management. Time to replace that 2.5 year system already.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!