What's new

WD My Book Live w/ Asus RT-N66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Birdman18

New Around Here
I recently purchased the asus N66U to replace an old netgear unit I had for a few years. With the netgear my WD My Book Live NAS worked very easily and setup was almost as simple as plug and play. Now with the Asus, for the life of me I can't seem to get it to recognize the WD at all. I've tried port forwarding to no avail and I feel stuck now. I have thousands of important files I need access to but can't seem to figure this out. I'm somewhat fluent with networking but nowhere near where some of you guys are so I seek a master jedi's advice on what I can do!

Last edited:
Did you try rebooting your NAS?

Did you setup a static I.P. in the settings of your NAS?

The I.P. range for your new router may be different.

Look into possible ways to reset the network settings of your NAS. I'm not familiar with your NAS so I'm not sure what options you have to do this.
1. If there is an option to do a reset that just resets settings such as network settings you could try that if you want (be careful not to choose an option that wipes all data).
2. Temporarily change the network settings on your PC to manually set an I.P. in the same range as your NAS e.g. if NAS is 192.168.0.100, then set e.g. 192.168.0.57. Then go into the admin settings for your NAS and tell it to pickup an I.P. address via DHCP again.

Last edited:
Hi there, Netgear routers usually work on the 192.168.1.xxx range and according the ASUS N66U manual it's default settings are for 192.168.1.xxx, so as mdgm said it could be the IP address of the NAS that is on a different range than your other devices.

You can easyly change reset the My book Live network address and password back to factory default by holding the reset button in on the back for like 5-6 seconds.*No data will be harmed in this process :)

Hope that helpes and keep us posted

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!